Sign in to follow this  
Jim in Cebu

Best road to Toledo (from Cebu City)

Hy H

Ok yup been to Adventure a few times, im pushing 230 and the poor guy at the end that acts like a brake near got his arms pulled off!

Not sure about the sign but there must be one for West 35, you can see the same peak in the distance on these YouTube thumbnails to get a reference to how close together they are.

Thank you for sharing.  

udonthani

This is something I have wondered about also as I live in Argao. Is it best to go 2Car thru barilli, or go south and around, then up the other side.

yo have the additional option of that road over the montain at Ronda which drops yo near Dmanjg I think. However I have never taken it. I heard it is not in that great condition. It is definitely better to head north to Carcar tho from Argao, than rond the perimeter anti-clockwise.

Half Baked

We always go Naga-Toledo, have always arrived safe and sound. We will be going there tomorrow.

We've stayed at The Ranch several times. Its nice.

Woolf
Canuck Joe
Jim in Cebu

Just a quick note to thank everyone that posted about the various routes, as well as some of the attractions/stuff on some of the routes.

Based on the comments we will probably take the Naga route for our first trip to The Ranch.

Jim (the OP)

• Like 1

arentol

I'll put in my two cents worth since this is a topic I can relate to.

We've traveled between Toledo and Cebu for the last 7 years; for the first 4 years we used the Naga route and, for the last 3 years, we've used Transcentral. We tried the Manipis Road on occasion -- although it's beautiful scenery, it's just too dangerous for my tastes... especially if it's raining.

Some random thoughts...

Your end-point in Cebu may help you to determine which route is best, as Transcentral puts you in the North and Naga puts you in the south. Personally, my favorite is Transcentral for a few reasons:

- Very light traffic.

- Road is well lit (except for one section around the halfway point).

- Very enjoyable driving at night... the temperature drops down to the high 60s in the early evening and the fog/clouds are always enjoyable. Driving with the windows down is quite pleasant, as the sounds of the crickets and nocturnal birds is very unique.

- Sweet corn sold on the roadside is quite good. You can also find vegetables and many beautiful flowers.

- As mentioned earlier, you can always stop at Adventure Cafe or West 35 for a rest/food. On Sunday afternoons several motoring clubs use Transcentral for their weekend trips, such as the sportscar club and the motorbike club. Great place to spot Porsches, Corvettes, BMWs, Camaros and even Lamborghinis. If you're a bike enthusiast, then you can spot many classic Harleys or sports bikes.

Negatives:

- There's a landslide-prone area between Balamban proper and Bgy Gaas.. about 15-20 mins east of the new Balamban "Mall." Currently there is a good deal of construction ongoing, so you'll need to slow down and sometimes wait for construction vehicles.

- When traveling towards Cebu, shortly before Gaas, there's a 1-way bridge with a blind entry (i.e., a truck could be flying towards you and you wouldn't know until you're just entering the bridge). So this particular spot requires a good deal of care.

For us, we also like Transcentral because it places us in north Cebu City which is convenient to our home. One of the things I didn't like about the Naga route was that it put us in south Cebu... which required driving through the suicidal traffic of Pardo and Minglanilla. 

Cheers,

Aren

• Like 6

udonthani

I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned the beautiful Talisay-Lutopan mountain pass, which is easily the most scenic of the four Cebu mountain passes I have done on a bike (Tabuelan-Catmon being the other one).

I'd like to do the Ronda-Dumanjug one someday.

from north of Cebu city, like in Consolacion, you can also access the Transcentral by using back roads, however this is time consuming and it is actually quicker to use the main artery to the Marco Polo. I believe you could also link up with the Trancentral from even further north than Consolacion, like at Danao, but I don't know how. That would be a right dirt bike ride, though.

lexus

I'd like to do the Ronda-Dumanjug one someday.

Even scooter-papa can do Ronda-Dumanjug in 10 minutes; it's National Road all the way. But Argao-Ronda is over the hills (some say mountains LOL), and not suitable for scooter-papas with dead weight in the back.

udonthani

yes my bad that mountain road that drops you down near Dumanjug is just before Sibonga, coming north out of Argao.

it is signposted prominently too. I heard the road is pretty bad, but perfectly doable in good weather and would definitely be much quicker going to Moalboal from Argao than Naga-Toledo or anticlockwise around the perimeter.

lexus

yes my bad that mountain road that drops you down near Dumanjug is just before Sibonga, coming north out of Argao.   it is signposted prominently too. I heard the road is pretty bad, but perfectly doable in good weather and would definitely be much quicker going to Moalboal from Argao than Naga-Toledo or anticlockwise around the perimeter.

Scooter-papa lost again. Who rides from Argao to Moalboal via Naga-Toledo? Shortest way from Argao to Moalboal over the hills is from brg Taloot in Argao to Ronda. It is a one hour ride, even with a scooter. Road from Sibonga to D-jug is another story, and definitely longer than route to Ronda. Happy scootering, po.

• Like 1

David_LivinginTalisay

As some mentioned - depends on ones Definition of "Best Road"?

Best for Scenery, Speed/Time, Safety, Least Traffic, Shortest Distance, Best Fuel Economy?

It all depends what mode of Transport you are going to use Taxi, Bus, Motorcycle, Private Car, Multicab?

As you may be aware in Green Trail Rides - Cebu, is a Group of Motorcyclists who prefer doing it the hard way, ie the Off the Main Roads Route, the Less Traffic and More Scenic Route.  It is NOT QUICKER (since we are not in any hurry and stop for liquid refreshments @ Sari Sari Stores etc) usually, but might actually be the shortest Distance in some cases!

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/26144-green-trail-riding-in-cebu-on-dual-sport-motorbike/page-38#entry517011

GTR#24

See http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1613724 for details.

post-198-0-68877800-1383359971_thumb.jpg

This Route of GTR#24  is possible/passable in a Car

The next one of GTR#34 is NOT possible/passible in a CAR:-

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/26144-green-trail-riding-in-cebu-on-dual-sport-motorbike/page-44#entry611830

This shows where we went on GTR#34 

NB: the turn off from Media Once was NOT the same as GTR#26!

We checked out a Track shown on OpenStreetMap (but no through Route shown on RoadGuide.ph and discovered why - 2 plank 'bridge' over deep gully/stream!

GTR26-TheRanchResort.jpg

Do not attempt to follow the above Route, in a CAR!

We have not yet managed to follow that 'proposed Route past Campo Otso on Dual Sport Motorcycles as an alternative to Bamboo Trail North to Toledo Wharf Road yet (due to extremely slippery when wet clay like mud sections)!

post-198-0-78210400-1360507485.jpg

The Route we took on GTR#34 is therefore NOT suitable for CARS!

It is OK from that Blue Marker on the Naga - Toledo Road, near Media Once, but gets rather rough towards the 2nd Blue Marker and then impossible for a car (even 4WD) for the last section just before that 2nd Marker because of the Gulley and 2 plank bridge!  

You would have to turn around and go back even in a 4WD vehicle!

TheRanchResortonOSM.jpg

This shows exactly where The Ranch Resort is located in BATO, Toledo.

See green-trail-riding-in-cebu-on-dual-sport-motorbike/page-44#entry611830

OR Click 'Show'  for information of GTR#34 and Photos of the Ranch Resort

The latest RoadGuide.ph Contributors Map V2.19 shows that route as '4x4 trail' towards the end, but stops short of the Road Intersection.

We discovered why, on GTR#34!

There was a gully, with a river at the bottom, but having a simple 'bridge', formed from adjacent planks. 

Strong enough thick planks, to take the weight of people, or a motorcycle, but far too narrow for a car.  

With about a 10' drop into the river below, if one went off the plank, the problem was a physcological, rather than physical one.

Having got my XT225 across (carefully, slowly and manually), I went to check out if there was indeed a path to the road intersection on the other side.

I am happy to report there was, and checked out a supply of cold beer.  As it did not look like the others were coming across, I went back, to see how they were doing.

The locals probably ride XRM's and the like across it ever day, and a group had collected wondering what was the problem?

Having now got the other 3 motorcycles across the planks, it was time to sample the cold grande bottle of 'Beer na Beer' for Php60. 

This was not a Sari-Sari Store, but rather in someones home.  They invited us to sit in the shade of the lounge, found 4 glasses, a table and a bottle opener.

Suitable refreshed. we took the Northern 'loop' to the next intersection, then the road South  that went over the River, and the Southern Loop along 'Laguna Road', to the next Intersection with the Northern 'Loop'.

The Ranch Resort was to the left (South), shortly after this.

post-198-0-64450400-1360511416_thumb.jpg

main.png

Lapping%20Pool.jpg

Mushroom%20Pool.jpg

Waterfalls.jpg

Lary%20river.jpg

We returned via Toledo City, then the Toledo to Naga Road to the Talisay junction and then the 'Bamboo Trail', Magahaway and Tierra Grande subdivision.

NB: If using anything other than Motorcycle or Mountain Bike (or perhaps 4WD), DO NOT take the 'Bamboo Trail' (The Route from Magahaway to Toledo Wharf Road) as shown at the start of that GTR  We did not even follow the Cut Through (too narrow for 4WD even) WSW to join Toledo Wharf Road (but took the tried and tested section headed towards CAMPO 6).  

Use the Toledo Wharf Road from Lagtang Grill or the Toledo Road from Naga  ('Major Routes' --------shown in RED

You can consider that Turn off  from the Toledo - Naga Road that we did on GTR#26in a car with reasonable ground clearance and good suspension, as the road is not too bad, but stoney and lot of vibration in many sections!  

More SCENIC and hardly any traffic but will take longer than going direct to Toledo, then SW to Bato and turning off East heading to The Ranch Resort. 

But the HIGHWAY ROUTE is relatively boring and less FUN!

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay

RogerDuMond

A couple of warnings about the transcentral Hwy. During the "winter" months there can be considerable fog especially after rain making the driving difficult especially in landslide prone areas. If you don't know how to drive down steep inclines, you can go through brake pads quickly and even warp rotors.

Barryrio

@ Whippy - You're eyesight is not what it was mate. I mentioned the Lutopan Road relating to last weekend in Page 1 of this post lol!

miles-high

you can go through brake pads quickly and even warp rotors

If the OP is from one of the Western Continental EU countires, he would know what the paddle shifeter (or MT downshifting) is for... hehe ;)

I have driven both routes, Transcentral and National, several times by myself and with a driver… Transcentral is more fun to drive if you are driving and have a relatively high performance car…

National on Sundays the easiest and fastest, any other days, your trusted driver can drive on National and you sleep in the car (or whatever you like to do, my pocket WiFi worked OK, I think)… :twocents: 

:D

Edited by miles-high