Sign in to follow this  
Jim in Cebu

Best road to Toledo (from Cebu City)

Jim in Cebu

We hope to visit The Ranch (resort) in the near future.  It's located a bit south of Toledo.  

I haven't driven to the Toledo area before -- so I'm wondering what is the best route.  Google maps suggests Tabunok (Talisay) - Toledo Road and National Hwy or the Naga-Toledo Road.  Sometimes there's a lot of variation in the condition and safety of roads, so I wanted to ask those that are familiar with the roads whether there's much difference between them, and, if so, which is the better road.

(FYI. The Ranch website: http://www.gaiteranch.com/index.html)

Panserhansen

The Transcentral highway is way more scenic, but I rode it yesterday and there has been lots of landslides when you are descending on the other side. You can still drive though.

Manipis road is also scenic and interesting, but could be same issue there. Lots of blind curves.

If you haven't used any of those before, I would suggest you took Naga-Toledo road. This is usually also the fastest road. Turn left when you reach the T-junction in Toledo. Drive through the city and about 8 km south, you will find a sign to The Ranch about 100 meters after the high school in Bato. Turn left and continue about 400-500 meters, you see it on the right hand side.

Hy H

Where are you leaving from?

If Cebu City.  I like the road over the mountain to Balamban then head south to Toledo. Very scenic route, steep climbs on to top from Cebu side then descend is also quite steep in places on the other side. Only done it on the bike thou. Make sure brakes are in top notch for this route.

poby

Naga - Toledo road is the fastest and safest (safest being a relative term).  The scenic route via balamban is prettier but definitely longer if your destination is south of toledo.

CardiacKid

I prefer the Naga-Toledo road because I live in Minglanilla. That said, I have not crossed it since the earthquake so I have no idea of the condition. Even before the earthquake there were portions of the road that had slipped downwards from the original roadbed. Also be aware that road is heavily traveled by commercial trucks and buses. In the last few days there has been two accidents there in Barangay Uhling with these vehicles. Try to avoid being in front of them on the downward portion. Not very scenic but if you are south of Cebu City it's probably your best choice. Reason for edit: Correct spelling

Edited by CardiacKid

Canuck Joe

Where are you leaving from?

If Cebu City. I like the road over the mountain to Balamban then head south to Toledo. Very scenic route, steep climbs on to top from Cebu side then descend is also quite steep in places on the other side. Only done it on the bike thou. Make sure brakes are in top notch for this route.

That is called the transcentral that Panser mentioned, it is very scenic. Stop off at West 35 for lunch. Was wondering about landslides after quake.

Edited by Canuck Joe

Hy H

Stop off at West 35 for lunch.

I have not noticed this one.  Where abouts is it? We usually stop at Adventure for coffee. 

Canuck Joe

I have not noticed this one.  Where abouts is it? We usually stop at Adventure for coffee.

Is Adventure the zip line Place? If so West 35 is past there another minute or so on the right side still, steep entrance up looks like a driveway. I have a YouTube video of the place but can't seem to get my tablet to link it...

should come up with a search West 35 Cebu Philippines

Barryrio

Agree with all the above. Rode the Transcentral yesterday. Couple of roadworks but no problems. We did the Tabunok - Lagtang - Lutopan - Toledo route last weekend. Somewhat dodgy due to initial stages of massive widening project which means that the road, while stunning, is in worse shape in many places than it was 5 years back. Naga - Toledo definitely the quickest and safest option to get to the " Ranch". 

Hy H

Is Adventure the zip line Place? If so West 35 is past there another minute or so on the right side still, steep entrance up looks like a driveway. I have a YouTube video of the place but can't seem to get my tablet to link it...

should come up with a search West 35 Cebu Philippines

Yeah the zip line, have not tried it yet thou. I could be over the weight limit for the ropes.     :workout:    Adventure coffee I think it’s called. Not a bad view across the road down to Toledo and Negros on a good day.  Many hikers and bikers seem to be gathering there at times also.  Is there a sign along road for west 35?

udonthani

most scenic way by a mile of the three is the 'middle way' just past Talisay which drops you in Lutopan, about 12km from Toledo. This is the best scenery I have seen anywhere on the island and the only bit on it in fact that approaches top or 'world' class. Although I have no idea if or how the quake affected the navigability of the road.

the best way depends really on where you are setting off from.

cebubird

This is something I have wondered about also as I live in Argao. Is it best to go 2Car thru barilli, or go south and around, then up the other side.

thebob

Is it best to go 2Car thru barilli, or go south and around, then up the other side.

Depends on what "best" means to you!

ILoveCyrus

There's ONLY 1................lol

Canuck Joe

Yeah the zip line, have not tried it yet thou. I could be over the weight limit for the ropes.     :workout:    Adventure coffee I think it’s called. Not a bad view across the road down to Toledo and Negros on a good day.  Many hikers and bikers seem to be gathering there at times also.  Is there a sign along road for west 35?

Ok yup been to Adventure a few times, im pushing 230 and the poor guy at the end that acts like a brake near got his arms pulled off!

Not sure about the sign but there must be one for West 35, you can see the same peak in the distance on these YouTube thumbnails to get a reference to how close together they are.

Edited by Canuck Joe
  • Like 2