A 360TB disc that holds data for more than 1 million years

• Administrator
Salty Dog
In the future, we might be able to save our history to a glass storage medium that could potentially outlive humankind. The new type of memory also touts mind-blowing specifications, such as 360TB per disc data capacity and the ability to withstand extreme temperatures up to 1,832 Fahrenheit.

By harnessing the power of a speedy femtosecond laser, researchers successfully wrote and read 300KB of data to an everlasting medium that consists of self-assembled nanostructures within fused quartz. Think of it as a real-life version of the memory crystals seen in the old "Superman" movies.

Amazingly, the femtosecond laser, which emits short and powerful pulses of light, can encode data to three layers of nanostructured dots within the glass only five micrometers apart. The researchers claim the femtosecond laser writes data in five dimensions -- a figure based on the size, orientation, and three-dimensional position of the nanostructures.

A team from University of Southampton's Optoelectronics Research Center and Eindhoven's University of Technology took part in the storage breakthrough. The team leader was Led by Jingyu Zhang.

"It is thrilling to think that we have created the first document [that] will likely survive the human race," said Professor Peter Kazansky of the Optoelectronics Research Center. "This technology can secure the last evidence of civilization: all we've learnt will not be forgotten."

What's next? Zhang and his team now seek partners to bring this technology to the commercial level. If you're a science nerd, read the official "5D Data Storage by Ultrafast Laser Nanostructuring in Glass" paper (PDF) originally submitted to the Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics in San Jose, Calif.

• Like 2

Yes, cool...message in a bottle...but does anyone know how to open the bottle in 1 millions years!

• Like 1

Does this mean that I can get rid of all of my flash drives and CD's and just get one of them?  That would sure save a lot of space.

Kidding aside..As fast as new technology is evolving, it doesn't surprise me. Makes you wonder what's next. 

• Admin (Retired)
broden

we need to be sure for posterity that nary a single facebook post nor tweet nor instagram shot is  ever lost

they will speak to those in the future as to how great we truly are 

2nupovd.jpg

• Like 2

I'll buy one if it comes with a guarantee that I will still be around to check that it still works in 1 million years.

• Like 1

femto, nano, micro and 5 dimensional. By the time it gets to the stores, kilo will be a factor and you will have to remember where you put it and which way up it was before you can read anything.

I'd like a storage medium that is guaranteed to last longer than my lifetime, with a specification that doesn't go out-of-date and which is capable of growing to account for higher data densities. It doesn't have to last forever.

senseless

But they didn't say how fast the transfer rates are. Could you imagine writing 360TB of data at lets say 100Kbyte/s? It would only take 122 years!

• Admin (Retired)
broden

But they didn't say how fast the transfer rates are. Could you imagine writing 360TB of data at lets say 100Kbyte/s? It would only take 122 years!

what's fun is if you forget to keep it defragged 

what's fun is if you forget to keep it defragged 

If you start rearranging those nanostructures during a defrag exercise, you are likely to end up with better artwork than Salvador Dali....

• Like 1
musicman666

Yes, cool...message in a bottle...but does anyone know how to open the bottle in 1 millions years!

fair question...  they will probably think its a pretty glass and put it above the fireplace with all the others.

i can see myself now.  this glass that i hold in my hand contains the cumulative knowledge of mankind.  i'll just set it here on this shelf...oops...damn!

• Like 2
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

i can see myself now.  this glass that i hold in my hand contains the cumulative knowledge of mankind.  i'll just set it here on this shelf...oops...damn!

probably wouldn't be a very big glass though so clean up should be a breeze 

a million years - no way - hand a data processing punch card and ask a kd of today what it is.

1st full time job - age 17 - 1965 - 2nd shift AC Nielsen (consumer surveying) used stacks of cards, 1 to 2 feet thick with punched holes  - primary correlation was with long rods

card2.jpg

Great job - other guys were all over 21 and got to go out drinking at 2 am in Chicago - some interesting people in bars at 2 am on a Wednesday.

Edited by lamoe
tom_shor

Is there a warranty?