want to buy laptop soon

My sis in law is looking for a good laptop with built in camera.  I don't know where to have her go look near Talisay and what she should pay for one.  Any suggestions appreciated

Headshot

Is she looking for new or used? If new, just have her go to the Cyber Zone in SM City Mall. There are lots of computer shops there, so she can get some comparisons. If she is looking for a used laptop, I would suggest she looks at cebuclassifieds.com or sulit.com. If she doesn't find any ads for laptops, she can place an ad that she is looking for a used laptop. I'm sure that laptops get pawned at the pawnshops here, but pawnshops here aren't like pawnshops in the West where merchandise is displayed and you can look at it. I have no idea how pawnshops here sell the items that were pawned but not collected.

looks at cebuclassifieds.com

Just checked it out. Most of the laptop adverts don't have an asking price. Just another case of "this is how we do things here" ???

• Like 1

I am hopeful some experts will help the OP with his query.  I am making a similar search.  Frankly, I am a bit overwhelmed by the many choices of laptops using Windows.  Aside from the brand name to consider, I am unsure about features I might like and I don't have a lot of faith in sales staff to guide me in the right direction.  I have been in the Cyberzone and elsewhere.

The real reason I am writing is to inquire about member's experiences with getting the laptop with Windows installed.

I am not buying this for myself as I use Apple products.  I am getting it for my son so he can use both Apple and non-Apple products.  In particular, Windows.

The last time I bought a netbook it was for my daughter.  A couple of years ago.  

The products on display show "includes Windows 8" or "Windows 7" and some have EP versions etc.

I have no problem with buying an operating system as an additional cost.  My real concern is getting a laptop with an OS that is properly installed.  I am not familiar enough with Windows to fix any problems the store may create at the time of purchase.

If some of the Windows fans in the membership can give the OP advice, comments about Windows would be appreciated as well.

My very limited experience of buying a (new) laptop in the Philippines is:

a ) More expensive than buying the equivalent in Canada

b ) Preloaded with illegal software including the operating system (which eventually calls for visits from your local friendly expert to fix the problems)

The laptop in question is a Lenovo. Nothing wrong with the hardware. I have also bought Acers in Canada and taken them to the Philippines. I am using one of them now - still with it's rat chewed power supply cable and missing key cap. Acers are not small child proof, but the power supply cable almost defeated the rat. I have had a couple of Lenovo ThinkPads (used to be IBM) from work in the last several years. The current work laptop is a Dell - very nice. The ThinkPads were also nice and robust. 

Buying a legal copy of the OS from microsoft is a logistic nightmare - if you do this online from the Philippines and have a Canadian credit card. Getting it installed with a poor internet connection is next to impossible. Getting it installed from the DVDs when I am not there...also impossible. 

I have a lot of experience with Windows from 3 up to 7 (and DOS before that). I am perfectly happy with it. I have limited exposure to Windows 8 and am not so keen. However, it is usually easier to go with microsoft's latest and greatest, especially when they have done the first major fix (which is a pretty damning statement). 

If the intended use is social media and limited document creation / management, then the lower end machines are quite suitable. WIndows can be quite inefficient with memory and disk so the more RAM the better and the bigger the disk drive (within reason) the better.

My own kids (now adult) prefer their Macs

Another voice - what will it be used for? That is the most important question.

If only for web-surfing, emails, Skype, etc - you don't need the fastest, largest RAM and memory available. I used a 4 year old Acer for video calling but did have 2 Gig RAM  - new one has 8  - don't see that any difference - I'm a slow talker.

memory is not  important -  I use a Terabyte external drive ($75 at Sam's) to backup 3 different units.

You mentioned camera  - here for Skype - "If the computer Skype is to be run on is really old, it might lack the computing power to run Skype. Skype recommends a 1 GHz processor and at least 256 MB of ram." hard to  get a PC with less than 4 gig in US now.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/about_5124104_skype-hardware-requirements.html#ixzz2ix5FyksA

Edited by lamoe

If its a second hand laptop I would definitely go for an Acer, the damn things are bullet proof,

the last one I gave to Nanay was 8 years old, and she had it 4 years and was still working great when some arse whipe broke in and stole it

Always stuck with Acer.......have mine for 5 years n inspite of being dropped a few times n reprogrammed by the kids, its never caused any major hiccups....

You do realize that you can install Windows on Mac hardware don't you

That's what my kids did...

• Like 1
Mr. Mike

Three years plus with my Acer...no problems. 

the.lone.gunman

My Acer has been bomb proof for about 6 years now, it is much better than my " highly rated " Toshiba.

BossHog
The real reason I am writing is to inquire about member's experiences with getting the laptop with Windows installed. My real concern is getting a laptop with an OS that is properly installed.

You can get a decent netbook with legit Windows 8 pre-installed and no software added by the shop that you don't want.

A franchise computer shop at a mall would be a good place.to start. Basically fixed price and with warranty.

Integrated webcams are standard now.

15,000 will get you something new and adquate for most uses. 20,000 or a bit more for touch screen.

I'd steer away from anything used unless price is a real issue.

It was unclear from the OP and from Mike if you guys are looking for full-sized laptops or netbooks.

I've got something similar to this:

http://www.lazada.com.ph/asus-vivobook-x202e-ct130h-116-touch-screen-laptop-silver-49363.html

and am happy with it.

Edited by BossHog
daddyphraim

Hey! I have two good laptops brought from US last year. Its Acer and Hp. Acer is the smaller one and Hp can be used as a tablet too. I'm not using it anymore because I have Mac already. Are you interested?

Well, just send me SMS if you are.

Here is my number, DELETED. Good day!

I've been going back and forth in this for a long while and finally opted to get a MacBook Air for my son. The cost for the device is higher, maybe even double for a similar quality laptop. However, where I save lots of money is the ability to use all the existing software I have for my other Mac.

With windows, I had to first choose if I wanted windows 8 or take a device with windows 7. Depending on where I bought the device, I may have to pay for the operating system. Not so with the MacBook. It comes with the software installed in every case. No choices to be made.

Additionally, apple now gives all new devices several apps which I am already familiar with. As well, I have accumulated a variety of other apps and these are all available at no further cost to me.

I choose to use apple products without any malware software, which saves some costs and hassles.

With the windows system I have to choose which apps to buy and the install them etc. They seem to often come with licensing agreements that prevents me from using the software on other windows compatible hardware. So I end up buy the same software more than once.

Before my comments get misconstrued, I don't think apple products are infallible. In fact, my MacBook Pro is current dead.....probably a failed hard drive. I also have had to replace the battery at my cost after around two years of use. So I realize apple products have flaws or weaknesses just as the myriad of other hardware suppliers. That in inself is a reason for me to shy away from windows. I have to choose not only the features I want but the manufacturer.

I've owned samsung netbooks, used a sony laptop and a dell laptop. They each had features I liked, but just not equivalent to apple devices.

Edited by MikeeW
  • Like 1