Sign in to follow this  
Faktor

where to find wheat whole grain cheap in either cebu or ormoc

Faktor

it makes no sense to me it cost more than 5 times per kilo what the wheat they grind to oblivion cost, its easier to make, it cost less to make so why is it so damm expensive when its 10 times as healthy atleast

Baywak

Healthy options,Ayala Mall but it ain't cheap.

Knowdafish

it makes no sense to me it cost more than 5 times per kilo what the wheat they grind to oblivion cost, its easier to make, it cost less to make so why is it so damm expensive when its 10 times as healthy atleast

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense except the demand for white flour is exponentially greater than for whole wheat flour. 

The same thing is true for diesel fuel, which costs more than gasoline in the U.S. but takes less to refine.

Another example is white rice which is fully milled or brown rice which leaves the bran intact - demand is lower.

High demand encourages great availability. Low demand does not encourage availability. 

The other thing is that when wheat is fully processed they can sell off the by-products. This isn't so with whole wheat. The same goes for brown rice. It's hard to sell the bran separately if it is left intact. 

MaKe

The other thing is that when wheat is fully processed they can sell off the by-products. This isn't so with whole wheat. The same goes for brown rice. It's hard to sell the bran separately if it is left intact.

With whole wheat flour, they do remove the wheat germ as if the germ in not removed the flour goes rancid unless refrigerated.

Frequently, when you purchase whole wheat flour, it is just white flour with the bran added back in....best to buy a flour mill and the whole wheat berries...

spydoo

With whole wheat flour, they do remove the wheat germ as if the germ in not removed the flour goes rancid unless refrigerated.

Frequently, when you purchase whole wheat flour, it is just white flour with the bran added back in....best to buy a flour mill and the whole wheat berries...

That's whole wheat. The OP asked for whole grain which means grain with the kernel, germ and bran intact.

• Like 1

Davaoeno

That's whole wheat. The OP asked for whole grain which means grain with the kernel, germ and bran intact.

I made the same mistake on first reading and was going to refer him to Goldilock's whole wheat bread called Wheaten - then realized that that wasnt what he was looking for

Faktor

hehe seems its the same everywhere, here in ormoc 1-3h class cake flour and multi purpose flour cost between 37-43 per kilo. but whole grain wheat is like 300 per kilo it is insane

used to be a agricultural shop in naval where i could get it for 80 per kilo but havent been able to get it for 9 months now, i really prefer to bake my own bread, at least u know what u put in your mounth then, not all those chemicals like bromate and tons of sugar

spritsail

I bought Bulgar wheat (cracked wheat) at Ororama in Cdo last week,, use it for making taboulleh salad and  filling for sausages (gives a grat texture to pork and beef spicy sausages). Before that I always bougth whole wheat grains at the agri store and sked them to grind it for me. cost about 30 p a kg.  

• Like 1

Faktor

I bought Bulgar wheat (cracked wheat) at Ororama in Cdo last week,, use it for making taboulleh salad and  filling for sausages (gives a grat texture to pork and beef spicy sausages). Before that I always bougth whole wheat grains at the agri store and sked them to grind it for me. cost about 30 p a kg.  

any agricultural store or a specific one, the store i buy my veggies from buys them in cebu and ship them here to ormoc, and i can get them to buy for me there for a small fee, saves me a ton of money and the trip

but need the name of the store and the adress

spritsail

i think any large agri feedstore in Ormoc will sell it. Kenny F recommends you wash it first but I have always just sifted it and used for baking tc mixed with class 1 flour. Also i buy ground corn which I cook for polenta.