How to get rid of squatters in your land?

Perhaps you should google the word " facetious" ?

And I hope you will remember this word, as well as its definition. You want to know why? Why, is because, that very word could end up being the primary reason you end up banned from this site. 

very well said Davaoeno.

spooks you need to start reading posts not just skimming them

Mate, just because Ian lives on the edge on this forum, doesn't mean you should go along with him. Please don't. 

--------------------

You guys want to have pissing contests and all that sort? Do NOT do it in the upper forums. Have I not said that before? I'm askin' ya, fellas. Keep the shite in the shite forums, and the good in the good forums. 

Let's stay on topic here. Let's walk a taught line, folks, in this thread.

• Like 2
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BossHog

• Paddy

• Davaoeno

• shadow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Take the maybe 150,000-200,000 you have mentally budgeted and arrange to buy them a cheap piece of land as a replacement. Of course it wont be on the water- because that is the reason that the land wh

if you can come up with another piece of land, great. if you offer them money, make it all or nothing. Either they all take it and leave or nobody gets it. Pit them against each other. Otherwise you w

The problem that I see is that by your own admission these are productive people who rely on their location for their livelihood.   I can understand that you want to "develop" land that is yours, bu

Posted Images

Thanks Paul for throwing the cold water.  I was impressed with the sincerity of the OP trying to make a correct choice and use the collective wisdom of the members.

I didn't agree with many of the posts and tried to get my own views heard.  I believe the OP respectfully read comments from members and is closing in on doing "the right thing".

It is so disgusting to see how members can allow themselves to get drawn into these petty and irresponsible sidebar discussions.

I want to remain active in the forum and have refrained from making comments to those who wander off topic and try to outwit each other.  Thanks for reminding members of the main intent of the forum.  

This topic is a classic example of where cultures clash and even the best decision is fraught with risks.  I hope the OP is able to settle on the right choice to make.

I have been in situations similar to this and it took me a long while to realize the unique nature of the culture here.  There is NEVER a "best" choice.  It is simply a matter of making the "best" of the choice you made.

• Like 6
arentol

If it's of any consolation, the OP is not the first to be faced with the difficulties of dealing with squatters...

My colleagues here on LinC forums may enjoy a chapter reprint from Joel Achenbach's book, The Grand Idea, at: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A10634-2004Jun2.html

The story tells of George Washington's post-Revolutionary War adventures in the open lands of the American West (with the term "West" being quite relative to the time period) and, specifically, his efforts in removing squatters from his land.

Regards,

Aren

P.S.: The chapter, and the book as a whole, tends to get a bit verbose at times and the author takes quite a few historical detours; but, all in all, it's not a bad read if anyone is interested.

• Like 1

i only reed first thew posts but u can also take other perspectuve and put sari sari store etc ner where the squattas live and turn this into a win win situatun, maybe u r taking wrong aproach. ;)

hey what about a fish truck, small diner etc, make yr self a little village biznes center

Good idea----upgrade and take a percentage  :)

I havent read the whole thread, ill read it later when I have time.

But isnt there a law about squatters rights, something like if they have been on the land for 10+ years, they have title, or some legal right. Im not a lawyer, and the best advice I have read is to ask the barangay captain or mayor, or someone like that for advice.

my question is the same but what if the squatters  are your inlaws ? 

• Admin (Retired)
broden

my question is the same but what if the squatters  are your inlaws ? 

they usually squat on you couch

• Like 5

they usually squat on you couch

yes but how to dislodge?  and can they sue me later ?   shall I seek barangay counsel ? 

• Admin (Retired)
broden

yes but how to dislodge?  and can they sue me later ?   shall I seek barangay counsel ? 

find another richer kano to marry in to the family and they will go over to his place

• Like 5

If it was me Id avoid all the hassle of finding ways to politely kick them off..

I`d sacrifice 50 sqr mtrs per unit right on the border line and build them new huts.. All that can be seen of them from your view is their new hut`s back wall which is 10 ft high and your new garden fence..

Nice place man!! 

Love the river.

Edited by fred42

This topic is a classic example of where cultures clash and even the best decision is fraught with risks.

Not to mention only culture here but including American, Canadian, Australian, German, Dutch,  New Zealanders n others different cultural ideas n personal view to all this. 

There was no Pilipino involved in this debate yet, was there?

• Like 1

It is quite simply illegal to throw ppl out of there homes, whatever land there house is on.

Mama was just evicted from her home by the family of late papa, she still lives there, 

as the family only had money to buy her a tax lot and no funds to build her a new home.  

So .. what Fred42 said .. Nice plan

Brucewayne

My inlaws moved in on us and we nearly starved the first year I was here.

I packed my suitcase, told the wife I was leaving and she was welcome to come if she wanted.

We left them and started over.

The inlaws (outlaws as I call them) couldn't pay the rent and scattered, got jobs and are doing just fine now.

• Like 4

So by the time they are all paid off. And you spend a bit more it comes to what the land is worth? I would be a bit more mercenary myself. But then again I was a bailiff before I moved to Japan. I would have no qualms kicking people out. But here? Your living in somebody else's country. They do have a habit of feeling hard done by and coming back for more if you are too nice. I would do it through barangay and municipal for sure.

Headshot

I really disagree with this method,  I am a firm believer in " out of sight out of mind"  and suggest you want them as far from your property as possible, otherwise they will slowly - but surely- start to filter back onto your land , regardless of their new found lots. Besides, in less than a year those new lots will all have been given as security to money lenders and they will get removed anyway

Also, you want to take advantage of the development of the area, and thus the extra 2500 meters, but finding buyers with squatters sitting next door to them is something you will find hard  to do imho

Just because they are occupying 2500 square meters now doesn't mean they need to be occupying that much land in the future. I would give them a maximum of 100 meters each (maybe less), and then build a fence around their little compound. They are fishermen...not farmers. They need access to the ocean...not access to land. They just need enough land to have a small house...nothing more. If you don't offer something reasonable, then any plan you come up with will be a difficult sell for the barangay captain and mayor. These families represent a lot more votes than your family does...and they can be manipulated much easier than your wife.

• Like 2