How to get rid of squatters in your land?

Knowdafish

I also like Davaoeno's idea modified by Shadow's caveat.

Times two

Make it haunted for awhile---------------------------- then offer the relocation money

Halloween is just around the corner, so it would be fitting. Put up a sign that says "new cemetery coming soon to this location".

1) I applaud your civilized way of trying to deal with this situation.  In my view, this is not just being kind hearted.  If you go about this correctly, it can be a relatively inexpensive process and permanent.  If possible, avoiding the adversarial seems prudent.

2) Have them all move in with you !

1) I agree

2) This could work! Build a 5 story high rise made completely out of bamboo. It won't take much space, just put it in a corner somewhere. After the 1st earthquake they will likely be glad to move. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BossHog

• Paddy

• Davaoeno

• shadow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Take the maybe 150,000-200,000 you have mentally budgeted and arrange to buy them a cheap piece of land as a replacement. Of course it wont be on the water- because that is the reason that the land wh

if you can come up with another piece of land, great. if you offer them money, make it all or nothing. Either they all take it and leave or nobody gets it. Pit them against each other. Otherwise you w

The problem that I see is that by your own admission these are productive people who rely on their location for their livelihood.   I can understand that you want to "develop" land that is yours, bu

Posted Images

Headshot

Boss, think about this.

Take a small portion of your land near where the five squatters homes are (preferably in a corner of your property), and subdivide it into small lots. Then offer the families titles to the small lots for nothing (because they are friends) if they will leave from their present locations. Let them use the nipa and other natural materials from your land to build their new houses plus taking any materials from their present locations. Cluster the lots, so the incursion into your property is minimal, but keep them at least close to where they are, so they can continue to run their fishing businesses. The beauty of this is threefold:

They end up with land in their names which they will never lose unless they sell it or borrow against it.

They are still fairly close to the river with access to the water.

The only upfront cost to you is the processing fee to have the land subdivided and new titles registered.

Whatever you do, have your wife talk over (and get consensus on) your plan with the barangay captain, vice-mayor and maybe the mayor FIRST before you try to execute. Once you have the approval of the local political powers, have them call a meeting with all of the families, and have your wife explain the situation to the families...that if they agree, they will be given title to the lots, but must vacate and level the land they are presently on and must help you to keep any future squatters from establishing homes on your property. If they don't agree, then they need to know that an eviction process will begin. At no point, should YOU be an active part of any of the process. Let your wife and the officials do the talking.

• Like 3

As Headshot said, but how about a lease of the land for 25 years ?

Davaoeno

Boss, think about this.

Take a small portion of your land near where the five squatters homes are (preferably in a corner of your property), and subdivide it into small lots. Then offer the families titles to the small lots for nothing (because they are friends) if they will leave from their present locations. Let them use the nipa and other natural materials from your land to build their new houses plus taking any materials from their present locations. Cluster the lots, so the incursion into your property is minimal, but keep them at least close to where they are, so they can continue to run their fishing businesses. The beauty of this is threefold:

They end up with land in their names which they will never lose unless they sell it or borrow against it.

They are still fairly close to the river with access to the water.

The only upfront cost to you is the processing fee to have the land subdivided and new titles registered.

Whatever you do, have your wife talk over (and get consensus on) your plan with the barangay captain, vice-mayor and maybe the mayor FIRST before you try to execute. Once you have the approval of the local political powers, have them call a meeting with all of the families, and have your wife explain the situation to the families...that if they agree, they will be given title to the lots, but must vacate and level the land they are presently on and must help you to keep any future squatters from establishing homes on your property. If they don't agree, then they need to know that an eviction process will begin. At no point, should YOU be an active part of any of the process. Let your wife and the officials do the talking.

I really disagree with this method,  I am a firm believer in " out of sight out of mind"  and suggest you want them as far from your property as possible, otherwise they will slowly - but surely- start to filter back onto your land , regardless of their new found lots. Besides, in less than a year those new lots will all have been given as security to money lenders and they will get removed anyway

Also, you want to take advantage of the development of the area, and thus the extra 2500 meters, but finding buyers with squatters sitting next door to them is something you will find hard  to do imho

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 1

Sees to me that they are born with nothing, accumulated next to nothing and you are giving far more.

Nothing to feel guilty about, perhaps the opposite

As you have plans to do some work can you offer to employ some of them from each household for the improvements you are going to make it may help, especially if you need Nippa roofing and walls etc

• Like 1
BossHog

Also, you want to take advantage of the development of the area, and thus the extra 2500 meters, but finding buyers with squatters sitting next door to them is something you will find hard to do imho

This is at the heart of the issue. Just didn't want to come right out and say it. But yeah.

• Like 2
Davaoeno
Sees to me that they are born with nothing, accumulated next to nothing

Exactly - in fact the only thing that they and their families do have is a place to live, where they have been living for a long time, certainly long before Boss care along 

So what do you do? crush them just because you can ?  Yes the law says you can put the run on them- displace them from the only place they have ever lived, send them packing down the road with nothing but the clothes on their backs. But how much enjoyment will you have every  time you walk on your new 2500 meters and think about where all your friends have gone ??

I'm not saying make them rich, but at least show them some consideration .  [ i'm not saying this to Boss because he has already indicated a willingness to help them out ]

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 5
Skywalker

So what do you do? crush them just because you can ?

I have to say, I applaud the Bosses attitude.  Because if he was a Pinoy owner, I can tell you exactly what would happen.

I know a big family who are living in a slum here in Cebu.  The land has been bought by a very large developer.  They have told me that they will get an opportunity to move out voluntarily, failing which there will be violence or spontaneous combustion.  I saw this happen very often in Bangkok.  

Remember the veneer of Law and 'fairness' is very thin in SEA.

Be very careful about going through a legal process, it will be viewed as Foreigner versus Filipino - and we mostly know what happens in those cases.

My big family are very decent uneducated people (seems to me that the Bosses squatters also fall into this category) who simply have nowhere else to go.  I am dealing with this situation; and my advice to Boss is follow your heart (by all means), but don't bust yourself financially or morally.

• Like 7

We had a similar situation when we bought the land and paid the old caretaker to leave and she was quite happy with 10,000 pesos at that time.

If you sell land in RP where there is a resident unpaid caretaker, you have to give that person 1/2 the sale price.

KonC

Skywalker

If you sell land in RP where there is a resident unpaid caretaker, you have to give that person 1/2 the sale price.

I can bet my bottom dollar that doesn't happen much!  Even if that is the Law.

• Like 1
BossHog

As Headshot said, but how about a lease of the land for 25 years ?

In 25 years I'll still be in my 60's.

Rather deal with the issue now than kick the can down the road.

• Like 1
shadow

In 25 years I'll still be in my 60's.

Rather deal with the issue now than kick the can down the road.

Filipinos can lease for 50 years...

Exactly - in fact the only thing that they and their families do have is a place to live, where they have been living for a long time, certainly long before Boss care along 

So what do you do? crush them just because you can ?  Yes the law says you can put the run on them- displace them from the only place they have ever lived, send them packing down the road with nothing but the clothes on their backs. But how much enjoyment will you have every  time you walk on your new 2500 meters and think about where all your friends have gone ??

I'm not saying make them rich, but at least show them some consideration .  [ i'm not saying this to Boss because he has already indicated a willingness to help them out ]

you do take posts out of context, deny reality, spin it so tight it is spun dry and distorted.

"How about just shooting anyone whose name starts with an "S" ??  You are sure to get some of the bad guys.  And of course shoot their families when they come to collect the dead.   Some comments are either ignorant or just  signs of bad breeding. 

I appologize for going even further off topic but some times some people here really shock me with what they say that they believe in or advocate ."

Now go take a cold compress and chill the brain

I think the Boss is doing nothing like you are suggesting in post 37 and I am certainly not, implicating that for your inference.

I think buying them land to move to that they own is a credible idea and then by gong an extra step to employ them on contract basis as and when is probably not going to hurt either.

Edited by spooks
  • Like 1
Davaoeno
Spooks- your reading skills are seriously lacking my friend !!!  If you would take the time to read all of my posts in this thread you would quickly see that I in fact am advocating the exact opposite of what you are accusing me of !!
Perhaps you should google the word " facetious" ?

Actually i will do it for you to save you the trouble :

fa·ce·tious
fəˈsēSHəs/
adjective

1. 1.
    treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humor; flippant.

synonyms: flippantflipglibfrivoloustongue-in-cheekironicsardonic, joking,jokeyjocularplayfulsportive, teasing, mischievousMore

some people here really shock me with what they say that they believe in or advocate ."-  amen to that one brother !!

and of course Spooks it was your very own moralistic view that caused me to post that - or do you forget what you posted already ?  Here- let me remind you " Nothing to feel guilty about, perhaps the opposite "

Some of us Spooks actually have a conscience - others it would appear not so !!

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 1
towboat72

very well said Davaoeno.

spooks you need to start reading posts not just skimming them

• Like 1