Sign in to follow this  
Enuff

designing your own provincial house?

ThomsonJr

Bigmook, if you really are open to suggestions, take a look at this. It is less than 100 sqm (not including the deck). I think it has everything you are looking for, and all of the plumbing is clustered. The grid you see is in meters.

attachicon.gifLinC House 3.jpg

I like this because it has a hallway to go to the bedrooms. If theres no hallway then the house feels totally different inside.

• Like 1

ThomsonJr

I like this because it has a hallway to go to the bedrooms. If theres no hallway then the house feels totally different inside.

What if you put the hall way right next to the entrance door so when you get inside the home you actually enter the house right next to the hallway and can go straight to the bedrooms or straight into the livingroom. That would be nice too and would provide some more privacy for people going in and out of the home (so they don't have to pass by the living room first to go to the bedroom when they come in)

USCebuana

Beautiful home, one thing I can say is uplift forces during typhoons in light of the present situation and possibly the fire hazard. But no house is perfect, I'd be happy to live in this one. 

Edited by USCebuana

Enuff

I have been doing some more research and these monolithic domes seem suitable for typhoon/earthquake resistant housing.

of course it all boils down to costs.......... can you sell a great product at a fair price???

I do like that there is no crane required, just a large generator, concrete sprayer & other small items.

does anyone have any knowledge of these concrete "dome" dwellings?

medium_pic01.jpg

medium_dl-2002.png

KID

I have been doing some more research and these monolithic domes seem suitable for typhoon/earthquake resistant housing.

of course it all boils down to costs.......... can you sell a great product at a fair price???

I do like that there is no crane required, just a large generator, concrete sprayer & other small items.

if you look back in the construction threads I posted how these were made and some links-------------they blow up a balloon then re-bar  over the top and add the wood for openings-----they spray the outer layer------ deflate the balloon----spray inner layer-----extreme cold or hot will require a insulation layer also and foundations are optional

Edited by KID
  • Like 1

Enuff

Here in USA I would build in a heartbeat. Wood is an issue in Philippines. Waffle box concrete forms and monolithic domes are best I've found so far but I'm still search. Earthquake and typhoon resistant is a requirement. Cost is also a large factor. I would want to build for myself and then mass produce hopefully at small price.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

thebob

Plenty of Spanish era wooden houses still standing.

Hy H

Beautiful home, one thing I can say is uplift forces during typhoons in light of the present situation and possibly the fire hazard. But no house is perfect, I'd be happy to live in this one. 

Have to admit, nice looking house and I would also be ok to live in one. Depending on location.  Unfortunately, considering  weather we just been having .  To keep in mind.  Very light weight construction. Not sure how well this place in wind rated.  Not having any cross bracing would make it lean in a wind a fair bit.  No tie down or  Beams visible. Stronger winds, the whole top floor would blow away.

USCebuana

That would be hot like an oven in the Philippine weather. It doesn't look good, just my personal preference, more like a hobbit house. You don't need concrete roofs. GI sheet roofs work fine as long as the structural frame is bolted to the beams. Of course that's iffy during Yolanda like storms but with your "normal storms" they do ok. Maybe if you could mass manufacture a prefab house you could but local labor is so cheap it's hard to beat. 

Paddy

Having just read USCebuana's reaction to this, it occurs to me to ask "the" question. Is your wife involved in this design at all?

KID

That would be hot like an oven in the Philippine weather.

Actually-- these homes are super energy efficient when built correctly ---- they are also very cheap to build and are being built in 3rd world countries as housing for the poor

Here is another style of dome housing made using continuous fill sand bags ----- 1 of these houses was built in the Philippines---- but the builders failed to proper procedure during the final coating resulting in seedlings sprouting from the home

http://calearth.org/building-designs/eco-dome.html

ecodome.jpg

zoom_akaa9_sandbag_3.jpg

Headshot

Here is a product similar to what we used for the exterior walls of my home, but we used heavy steel columns and beams to support the roof. It is really easy to use, and we backed up the wire web on the foam wall cores with steel rebar to tie everything together. The rebars were welded to the heavy steel columns and beams. From the outside (or inside), it looks like a solid concrete wall when it's finished, but it has a R-value of about R-13, which is much more than you will find in any typical construction here. Even when the outside of the wall is in direct sunlight, the inside of the wall feels cool to the touch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2BZKDcDY54

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 2

thebob

Headshot that demonstrates exactly why the strength of hollow blocks isn't important.