designing your own provincial house?

Headshot

Just in case push does come to shove, I designed this a while back as a vacation home for another member...

post-6379-0-21855900-1383707801_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Enuff

• USCebuana

• Headshot

• thebob

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good luck on having family help you build your house while you aren't there to supervise. It has been a recipe for disaster for many foreigners building something here in the Philippines. Why would yo

While there is some truth in that, I think its more a matter of age. I find that at 66 I dont adapt anywhere near as well to most of the things that I did just 10 years ago .   I used to acclimatize e

There is nothing wrong with this, but does she let the construction crew do whatever they want to do? I'm thinking she is also an eagle-eyed supervisor who knows how things are supposed to be done?  

Posted Images

I'm having a hard time keeping up to my own bullshit ! 

And trust me, that is a LOT of bullshit.

• Like 2

Just in case push does come to shove, I designed this a while back as a vacation home for another member...

attachicon.gifVacation Home.jpg

You never designed me a vacation home. - Feeling left out.

Hey, seriously, you got a larger image of that? I would like to see more detail, if you don't mind? If you want to email or PM it to me instead, that would be great. If not, no worries. I completely understand that the staff don't love me. 

thank you, here is what I was planning for the 2br, 1 cr house.............. after much thought, I like it even more.

snapshot34.jpg

Headshot

You never designed me a vacation home. - Feeling left out.

Hey, seriously, you got a larger image of that? I would like to see more detail, if you don't mind? If you want to email or PM it to me instead, that would be great. If not, no worries. I completely understand that the staff don't love me. 

Poor baby...

Seriously, I will design anything you want. Just let me know the requirements. I use Home Designer Architect 2014 by Chief Architect. It gives me the ability to create jpeg images to share with those who don't have the ability to read DXF files. Unfortunately, for some reason the image size is limited by the size of my laptop screen in LinC Forums. If you want to see it bigger, save the file and view it using Windows Photo Viewer. It won't be a real clear view, but you can read to labels and dimensions. If you can open DXF files, then I can send a copy of that. You can zoom that in to any size with perfect clarity.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

i just designed another one, again the 2br 1 cr with ouside dirty kitchen & regular sized columns.

food storage cabinets & refridge inside, stove & sink outside.

8m x 8m w/ 4m x 8m porch (1033 sqft total; 689sqft house/344 sqft porch)

all of my plumbing is in the rear quarter section of the house.

im planning on a flat roof angled toward the sun with solar panels.

i still love the idea of 3 br & 2 cr but in reality it doesnt matter that much. oldest should be moving out withing 2-9 years and no need for an empty bedroom, lord knows someone will want to fill it.

20131106_184703.jpg

• Like 1
thebob

You can import .DXF into google sketchup.

Edited by thebob
Headshot

Here Paul...this one's for you.

post-6379-0-45578200-1383790647_thumb.jpg

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1
USCebuana

i just designed another one, again the 2br 1 cr with ouside dirty kitchen & regular sized columns.

food storage cabinets & refridge inside, stove & sink outside.

8m x 8m w/ 4m x 8m porch (1033 sqft total; 689sqft house/344 sqft porch)

all of my plumbing is in the rear quarter section of the house.

im planning on a flat roof angled toward the sun with solar panels.

i still love the idea of 3 br & 2 cr but in reality it doesnt matter that much. oldest should be moving out withing 2-9 years and no need for an empty bedroom, lord knows someone will want to fill it.

Bigmook, you're getting good at Sketchup. You should just design your own house. Just have your BIL make working drawings for you. You might need a master plumber and electrical engineer to do the plumbing and electrical sheets. I don't think you need structural calculations for a single story home.

Some people don't even get building permits but I understand that VECO won't connect your own service if you don't have an occupancy permit.

USCebuana

We obviously have different meanings for loft, your design has much too shallow roof for the tropics, the 2 entrances are too close together. California code doesn't apply here. Sliding windows are going to be a security risk. If you have such a small lot then building a second floor is often cheaper per square meter. You still only need one roof.

I don't think you can ever "over think" building a house. Somebody is going to live there so small changes in layout now can save headaches later. Cebu houses are famous for inattention to detail.

The roof is 30 degrees approx.  4:12. You don't need steep roofs in the tropic. Steep roofs are suited for cold climates to shed off snow to minimize snow loads. It might even help to have a lower profile when it comes to typhoons although I prefer higher slopes for aesthetic reasons.  It's impractical to have a second entrance for a small house with less than 10 people in it plus you are in a ground floor. 

If you have a second floor you might save on roofing but remember that you have to have a second floor slab and the columns and beams that go with it. Plus if the OP is older it's easier to get around on a single story.

I do like your idea of trying to save on the permit fees. 

Edited by USCebuana
  • Like 1

The roof is 30 degrees approx.  4:12. You don't need steep roofs in the tropic. Steep roofs are suited for cold climates to shed off snow to minimize snow loads. It might even help to have a lower profile when it comes to typhoons although I prefer higher slopes for aesthetic reasons.  It's impractical to have a second entrance for a small house with less than 10 people in it plus you are in a ground floor. 

If you have a second floor you might save on roofing but remember that you have to have a second floor slab and the columns and beams that go with it. Plus if the OP is older it's easier to get around on a single story.

I do like your idea of trying to save on the permit fees. 

After sitting here for the last 2 days on pins & needles I have decided that my smaller house is the way to go.

In fact I have just designed a much smaller "filipino" style house & been thinking of ways to mass produce cheap.

I realize that many dont care but I can clearly see from the messages on the typhoon board that many of us care.

I designed a SMALL 5m x 5m BASIC hut that ideally will be made of poured concrete walls (similar to icf). My thoughts

are to pour all of the concrete in a warehouse type environment and load onto a truck and take on site. I realize that

many sites aren't accessable but thats a problem for down the road. Ideally a family of 6 can comfortablly live in this

small shelter and hopefully it will be earthquake & typhoon resistant, but just thinking out loud for now.

here is the design................

5mx5mprefab.jpg

5mx5mprefab1.jpg

5mx5mprefab2.jpg

Edited by bigmook
  • Like 1
Davaoeno

So after much input you have decided to build a 25 sq m house, that you will have prefabricated in a warehouse then truck it [ and supposedly a crane] to your building site and erect it there . And of course you will have to build a road right to the building site [ so the trucks can get access] . 

My parents build something similar in the 1960's [ altho they called theirs a bomb shelter]

• Like 2

So after much input you have decided to build a 25 sq m house, that you will have prefabricated in a warehouse then truck it [ and supposedly a crane] to your building site and erect it there . And of course you will have to build a road right to the building site [ so the trucks can get access] . 

My parents build something similar in the 1960's [ altho they called theirs a bomb shelter]

Sounds crazy huh?

Well honestly I wont be living in one this small, but it was just an idea for a way to mass produce reasonalbe, secure housing.

Yes, I know there are many obsticles.......................... but there are many obsticles in everything worthwhile. I have rode through the

mountains in Western Pennsylvania & West Virginia (USA).............. and our grandparents did that long before heavy equipment.

• Like 1
thebob

I don't think you need structural calculations for a single story home.

I do.

The roof is 30 degrees approx.  4:12. You don't need steep roofs in the tropic. Steep roofs are suited for cold climates to shed off snow to minimize snow loads. It might even help to have a lower profile when it comes to typhoons although I prefer higher slopes for aesthetic reasons.

High steep roofs give more height to vent the hot air that rises to the apex. That area shouldn't be insulated, to left heat out! The sun is hottest when overhead and steeper roofs mean that it shines on them at an angle at that time, so staying cooler. Flatter roofs have more "lift" when strong winds flow over them, and roof is cheaper to build than wall.

Philippine building specs state 250mm minimum posts, that is more for aesthetic reasons than structural ones. Pouring a second floor slab is overkill for a small house like this, and I'd go with either steel or wooden joists which wouldn't add appreciably to the weight of the roof alone, considering that you are only adding a coupe of small bedrooms in the roof space.

For the given floor plans, an extra 5%- 10% in cost will give about 30% extra floor area that is cooler and has more useable area. Not including the the savings of being able to show plans and estimates for a much cheaper structure, liable for less tax.

There is no perfect house but it is fun thinking about them.