designing your own provincial house?

$T2eC16F,!)cFIcDTIogfBSbH4duTZw~~60_57.J   20' x 24' x 8' MODULAR BUILDING--OFFICE---HOME---JOB SITE BUILDING

---MODULAR  HOME---OFFICE---CLASSROOM--- JOB SITE BUILDING---  

20’ x 24’ unit made by Quick Quarters which is a wholly owned subsidiary of Subsurface Waste Management of Delaware, Inc. and manufacturer of temporary shelters for emergency response, disaster relief, mail room screening operations, command centers, emergency hospitals, and other commercial and government uses that need a quick installation facility for current worldwide terror threat and biological weapons concerns.

This unit is shipped via 20’ x8’ x8’ standard container, assembled in hours, no requirement for skilled labor, kitchen, bathroom, HVAC, and electrical ready,  hurricane and earthquake resistant, moisture, mold, and rot proof.

Unit is transportable by truck, rail, ship, helicopter, or air cargo plane, including ISO lift holes and forklift pockets.

Fully self-contained, conditioned, sealed environment.

This unit was purchased two years ago for a classroom but has never been opened or assembled. It is exactly as it was when delivered by truck to us and we never opened it. Everything inside is still wrapped tight and in boxes ready to assemble. 

20% discount off final bid if moved within two weeks of bid end. It is in a location that would be difficult to move with snow on the ground. It is also located 3 hours from where we live and we would need to make an appointment for you to see it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-x-24-x-8-MODULAR-BUILDING-OFFICE-HOME-JOB-SITE-BUILDING-/251366426794?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a869b48aa

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Enuff

• USCebuana

• Headshot

• thebob

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good luck on having family help you build your house while you aren't there to supervise. It has been a recipe for disaster for many foreigners building something here in the Philippines. Why would yo

While there is some truth in that, I think its more a matter of age. I find that at 66 I dont adapt anywhere near as well to most of the things that I did just 10 years ago .   I used to acclimatize e

There is nothing wrong with this, but does she let the construction crew do whatever they want to do? I'm thinking she is also an eagle-eyed supervisor who knows how things are supposed to be done?  

Posted Images

Headshot

I would think the opposite would be true if the garage is open. I do intend to have a space for an office but it's contingent on the funds. :)

It would seem that way, but a dark enclosed area where there is storage, it attracts rodents and insects. That, in turn, attracts snakes and spiders. When it is open, there is no food, and therefore even though rodents and insects may pass through, there is no available food source or bedding area that would cause them to stick around and attract the predators. Garage doors are very poor at keeping small critters out.

• Like 1

I'll reinforce what the others have said. My partner and I have only built one small house and she is now highly unlikely ever to start any significant construction unless I am present. It was a very stressful period. I did the design for our place, including, for example, the electrical plan. I assumed my partner's brother, who has done all sorts of electrical work, would understand the concepts of things like circuit breakers and common sense positioning of outlets/sockets and switches and lights etc.Not so. If I ripped out all the walls and ceilings I am certain I would find a mess instead of the logical plan I put together.

It might well be that both your BIL and FIL have your best interests at heart, but I guarantee that they think differently than you and I also guarantee that their experience in what constitutes a "normal" house is also different than yours.

By saying that the crs and kitchen won't work in the province if they are separated, your BIL has demonstrated this in spades - and he is a qualified engineer!

If you are even remotely familiar with building codes in your home area, you are going to be surprised by the general lack of understanding about house systems. Another example. I have studied the houses in the town and around our place. In the nice houses, you will often see soffit vents but you will never see roof vents. Quite how a roof is supposed to breathe without roof vents is beyond me. When I said to brother (through partner) "we need to vent the roof" they were both convinced that only soffit vents are necessary because the hot air will come down through them. Hmmmmm?

I finally convinced them that roof venting was necessary, that it should be as high on the roof as practically feasible taking into account the structure of the roof and that the area of the out venting must be equal to the area of the in venting. I sketched the sort of thing that could be constructed from roofing materials if roof vents could not be found in the building stores (they could not) and I sent pictures of roof vents available here. So...what did we get? A single 4inch pipe extending about 4 feet above the roof (with a U at the top to prevent rain entering). Fortunately, this thing is on the back of the roof and is not an eyesore.  :rolleyes: There is over 300 sq inches of in venting. Πr2 tells you how much out venting there is.

I do have a theory as to why this might be so. It seems to me that some local building practices have evolved from bahay kubo methods. In a nipa roof, the soffits are open and the roofing material vents naturally. 

Despite all this, I do like our house and I love being there. We plan to extend the house. But...no more construction without me.

after you talking about venting i,ve just checked my house and can,t see any mmm so whats likely to happen it was a brand new house but a cheapo like 750,000 

Headshot

What is likely to happen if there is no venting is that your attic space will retain heat during the day and cool of slowly at night. No attic space is truly air-tight, so there is no danger of anything catastrophic happening (such as the roof exploding). Not having any venting (I'm assuming you mean no venting in the eaves as well) could make the inside of your house hot due to radiation of heat from the attic space, and it could cause rust to any steel in your attic space and damage your ceiling in your rooms due to condensation.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 2
tobster

What is likely to happen if there is no venting is that your attic space will retain heat during the day and cool of slowly at night. No attic space is truly air-tight, so there is no danger of anything catastrophic happening (such as the roof exploding). Not having any venting (I'm assuming you mean no venting in the eaves as well) could make the inside of your house hot due to radiation of heat from the attic space, and it could cause rust to any steel in your attic space and damage your ceiling in your rooms due to condensation.

Spot on......I haven't enclosed my A-frame roof yet as I haven't decided which way to go yet but what I have seen in the past 3 years is this....

1...During the colder season in here there is alot of condensation forming on the underside of the metal roofing during the early hours and that has to go somewhere.

2...during the hotter season it is cooler in my roof space than it is in the house maybe as much as 4 to 5 degrees........

On most older houses the plywood eaves show signs of damage due to water/condensation so the typical eave venting is inadequate....

On most older houses the plywood eaves show signs of damage due to water/condensation so the typical eave venting is inadequate....

I am assuming when you say eave, you mean soffit  - the underside of the roof overhang

The soffit venting is intended to be the in-vent for the roof and will not directly prevent condensation forming on the soffit. The soffit is always going to be in shadow and therefore cooler. 

In our case - plywood soffits, flat paint, 1 year = mould build up in the corners (mostly). The soffits have been scrubbed (with a bleach solution), rinsed, dried and repainted with gloss paint. The gloss paint will not prevent condensation but it should better protect the plywood and make it easier to clean going forward.

Aluminium soffit would be even better - but the condensation would likely be greater.

I am used to low-maintenance and maintenance free buildings here in Canada. I have noticed that typical, local homeowners do not pay a lot of attention to routine maintenance and it is a very harsh environment for wood.

here are a few ideas I have as of now, but I change my mind daily.......................

I will just keep pecking away until I find perfection

9mx10m.jpg

house.jpg

It has got some good things going for it. Almost all of your water/sewer services are in the same basic place. The part out on its own is alongside the back porch. Getting those services there should not be too much of an issue.

My experience of provincial building methods is that they like to use 4m as the basic distance from one post to the next. What this means is that an 8m by 8m square will have a post smack in the middle of the enclosed area. 

I am guessing from the plan that the house part is somewhere between 8m by 6m to maybe 10m by 8m? If so, your local builder will want to put a post right in the middle of your living room. They won't think this is strange. You might! Your brother-in-law might be an enlightened engineer, of course, and be capable of using dimensions other than 4m. I would check with him on this if you don't want to be surprised.

If the building is 10m wide (or less), I think you might find the rooms small with 3 divisions (2 small bedrooms, living room, master) of the space. The corridor to the back porch will likely be narrower than you expect.  

If you have the space on your lot, and if you want the three divisions of the house space, I would be inclined to go to 12m wide and make your divisions at 4m intervals.

• Like 1

Thank you

Sure BIL/engineer will have more valuable information in reference to "local building" traditions & requirements. (Why every 4m posts??? Because its tradition. Hehehe)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Looks like you have an open durty kitchen (the only kitchen), how and where are you going to store foods

if open kitchen, hard to keep dogs, cats, rats, mice, ants and other critters out of there

Edited by Woolf
USCebuana

Headshot, I never heard of a roof exploding because of the heat. California now has residential energy requirements that's why houses have to be built not to exceed certain energy consumption limits. 

USCebuana

here are a few ideas I have as of now, but I change my mind daily.......................

I will just keep pecking away until I find perfection

Yes, the builder will most likely put a post in the middle of your living room unless you don't mind having a huge beam which would require  larger posts  :pardon:. I think the dirty kitchen is still too close to the house. Why not build a separate dirty kitchen with a porch and dining area made of native materials? You can put the laundry there too. Connect it to the house with a covered walkway.  I think you will have a problem with the venting of your bathroom. I don't like that it's opening is in the open porch, you might need a fan. I also have a problem with privacy regarding the common bathroom where you have to be in the living room to get to the bathroom. If it were my house I would build a dining and kitchen in the main house too. Just a tip, if you can, make sure all rooms have openings to the outside and since you are concerned about the kitchen smells take note of the wind directions.

Also, when drawing on graph paper I scale it by making one square equivalent to a foot. The reason why they build on 4m x 4m which is roughly 12 ft. x 12 ft. is probably because it fits room sizes nicely and makes the beams and column sizes manageable. 

Edited by USCebuana

this one features columns (only one size in the program) every 5m......................... (9 posts for 10m x 10m house)

also has indoor kitchen with windows & small windows in bathrooms, laundry & closet (you never know, hehehe)

back wall plumbing is all accessible in the 2 bathrooms, kitchen sink & laundry accessible from the side of house

let me know your thoughts

10m x 10m.png

USCebuana

this one features columns (only one size in the program) every 5m......................... (9 posts for 10m x 10m house)

also has indoor kitchen with windows & small windows in bathrooms, laundry & closet (you never know, hehehe)

back wall plumbing is all accessible in the 2 bathrooms, kitchen sink & laundry accessible from the side of house

let me know your thoughts

I prefer this one to the other one. 5 m is 15 ft approx. make sure the beams won't be too deep that you might have to raise the ceiling or the columns too big that they will protrude too much from the walls. Your BIL can tell you more. I think most houses have 8 ft. ceilings. Have you tried making the column spacing 4m x 4m? I think it will still fit. The hallway can be 3 ft. and the bedrooms 9' wide. I think it will work. Take space out from the laundry and pantry and make the bedrooms deeper at least 8'.

Edited by USCebuana