designing your own provincial house?

I designed and built my own single story house in Bohol area 390m2.

I put bathrooms and toilets on both sides with kitchen and another toilet for visitors in a more central location.

I back there in 2 weeks. PM me if you will be there and want to take a look. Always happy to give free advice

I cant pm but I wont be there until Christmas, 2 weeks of heaven. if you are still available I would love to see it.

I have also found a guy right in Sagbayan who just built 2 rental homes, look to be of good quality................. I am dying to see how they faired in the quake.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Enuff

• USCebuana

• Headshot

• thebob

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good luck on having family help you build your house while you aren't there to supervise. It has been a recipe for disaster for many foreigners building something here in the Philippines. Why would yo

While there is some truth in that, I think its more a matter of age. I find that at 66 I dont adapt anywhere near as well to most of the things that I did just 10 years ago .   I used to acclimatize e

There is nothing wrong with this, but does she let the construction crew do whatever they want to do? I'm thinking she is also an eagle-eyed supervisor who knows how things are supposed to be done?  

Posted Images

USCebuana

I made some changes to the plan. This one is better. OP if you're planning on living in your house permanently, I think you should upscale it a little bit. It doesn't cost that much more. You will appreciate the privacy and extra room later on.

post-3368-0-89503200-1382812174_thumb.jpg

post-3368-0-30122600-1382811999_thumb.jpg

thebob

Maybe the no walls/doors approach would make them think it was a setup and they would think twice.

My place doesn't have walls, it is in plain view of the road. I don't have security problems.

I think most people are over paranoid about security here. Most thefts are inside jobs, or done by acquaintances.

• Like 2
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

Most thefts are inside jobs

if you don't have an inside you can't have an inside job

• Like 1
Davaoeno

My place doesn't have walls, it is in plain view of the road.

so the neighbours line up along your fence when you and the little woman are having sex ??

• Like 1

My place doesn't have walls, it is in plain view of the road. I don't have security problems.

I think most people are over paranoid about security here. Most thefts are inside jobs, or done by acquaintances.

Any chance you would send a picture? no walls sounds very interesting? what about bugs?

although everywhere I read I hear about the problems with mosquitos, quite honestly I have never seen one there.

I spend most of my time in the Cebu city, consolacion, tagbilaran & alona beach, but never seen one yet.

Thanks for that post. It has convinced me that if the Philippines ever passes a law that says I can own a plot of land I will be building a no wall house similar to what you built.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure that is going to happen anytime soon.

• Like 1
Headshot

if you don't have an inside you can't have an inside job

Does that mean that if you don't have a hand, you can't have a hand job?

• Like 1
Headshot

I made some changes to the plan. This one is better. OP if you're planning on living in your house permanently, I think you should upscale it a little bit. It doesn't cost that much more. You will appreciate the privacy and extra room later on.

It's an interesting house plan, but it is very rare here to see a fully enclosed garage here. I think it has something to do with not wanting to meet up with any unwelcome "guests" (such as snakes and spiders) in your garage.

It's an interesting house plan, but it is very rare here to see a fully enclosed garage here. I think it has something to do with not wanting to meet up with any unwelcome "guests" (such as snakes and spiders) in your garage.

I agree about the enclosed garage, normally used if your garage doubles as your workshop and/or to deal with the cold winters. Going with a carport on my house since winter is basically summer.

attachicon.gifCottage2Plan2.jpg

attachicon.gifCottage2.jpg

Based on your previous comments, I assume the top one is autocad and the bottom one sketchup - or they are both sketchup - and you did these yourself?

I am impressed - particularly with your sketchup skills! I cannot get my head around that program.

I cant pm but I wont be there until Christmas, 2 weeks of heaven. if you are still available I would love to see it.

I have also found a guy right in Sagbayan who just built 2 rental homes, look to be of good quality................. I am dying to see how they faired in the quake.

I may be there at Xmas just depends on work.

I will send you a PM

Edited by Fred M
  • Like 1
USCebuana

Based on your previous comments, I assume the top one is autocad and the bottom one sketchup - or they are both sketchup - and you did these yourself?

I am impressed - particularly with your sketchup skills! I cannot get my head around that program.

Thanks Paddy. Don't feel bad, I do it professionally. I'm just a beginner in SketchUp though. I usually do the plans and working drawings on AutoCad and the presentation in SketchUp. The plan and rendering here are all SketchUp. I'm making some sample drawings and polishing my SketchUp skills, so it's no bother to help out some members on ideas. The first set I posted are my design for the cottage in the mountains. They were originally just drawn on graph paper. If my early retirement plans push through I plan to practise when I get home. My work here in the States is mostly on commercial buildings. 

Edited by USCebuana
USCebuana

I would think the opposite would be true if the garage is open. I do intend to have a space for an office but it's contingent on the funds. :)

I agree about the enclosed garage, normally used if your garage doubles as your workshop and/or to deal with the cold winters. Going with a carport on my house since winter is basically summer.

Yes, that's what the plan is. But there is no garage right now.