designing your own provincial house?

I don't care for the concrete local houses and would never consider a western style house here. If I ever built a house here (won't happen until I can own the land) I would go with a simple bamboo design. Love how it looks and it's cheap. My concerns would be fires and damaged electronic equipment from possible nipa roof leaks. My dream bachelor's pad: (and yeah, I see the security issues there)

a9uba2y3.jpg

puqe6e2e.jpg

You'd certainly have to throw some extra measures to deal with bad weather. Some waterproof roll up bamboo shades would be an idea. Mosquito nets for the top floor. Damn I wish I could own land here, I want this.

Sent from my NEO-X5 using Tapatalk 4

Edited by Paul
Altered formatting for an easier read.
  • Like 4
  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Enuff

• USCebuana

• Headshot

• thebob

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good luck on having family help you build your house while you aren't there to supervise. It has been a recipe for disaster for many foreigners building something here in the Philippines. Why would yo

While there is some truth in that, I think its more a matter of age. I find that at 66 I dont adapt anywhere near as well to most of the things that I did just 10 years ago .   I used to acclimatize e

There is nothing wrong with this, but does she let the construction crew do whatever they want to do? I'm thinking she is also an eagle-eyed supervisor who knows how things are supposed to be done?  

Posted Images

Knowdafish

I don't care for the concrete local houses and would never consider a western style house here. If I ever built a house here (won't happen until I can own the land) I would go with a simple bamboo design. Love how it looks and it's cheap. My concerns would be fires and damaged electronic equipment from possible nipa roof leaks. My dream bachelor's pad: (and yeah, I see the security issues there) a9uba2y3.jpgpuqe6e2e.jpg You'd certainly have to throw some extra measures to deal with bad weather. Some waterproof roll up bamboo shades would be an idea. Mosquito nets for the top floor. Damn I wish I could own land here, I want this. Sent from my NEO-X5 using Tapatalk 4

That would be cool if you could keep the bok bok and termites away. I know of one in Bacong that is built native style. The owner said "never again" as by the time the wood and bamboo is thoroughly treated with solignum and varnish it would have been cheaper to go with concrete and HB construction.

And the varnish is an ongoing thing. The looks is cool, but very labor intensive and costly in the long run. 

I can't see in the pics how one gets to the 2nd floor. Maybe that is the security feature?  :lol:

Edited by Knowdafish
  • Like 1
USCebuana

It looks more like a restaurant or an activity center within a larger complex. The house looks nice. 

It looks more like a restaurant or an activity center within a larger complex. The house looks nice.

My house doubles as a restaurant and activity center. ;)

Sent from my NEO-X5 using Tapatalk 4

Headshot

I don't care for the concrete local houses and would never consider a western style house here. If I ever built a house here (won't happen until I can own the land) I would go with a simple bamboo design. Love how it looks and it's cheap. My concerns would be fires and damaged electronic equipment from possible nipa roof leaks. My dream bachelor's pad: (and yeah, I see the security issues there)

a9uba2y3.jpg

puqe6e2e.jpg

You'd certainly have to throw some extra measures to deal with bad weather. Some waterproof roll up bamboo shades would be an idea. Mosquito nets for the top floor. Damn I wish I could own land here, I want this. Sent from my NEO-X5 using Tapatalk 4

It is a beautiful concept house, but like you mentioned, security would be a huge issue here in the Philippines. I can't imagine any place in the Philippines where you could own that house where all of the contents wouldn't just grow legs and walk away the first time you went to the store and nobody was left home. This isn't like some small town in the US where you can leave your doors all unlocked and your windows open at night to catch a cool breeze. Maybe if you owned your own island, and there were no other inhabitants besides you, your family, your helpers and some security guards...maybe then this house would work in the Philippines. Even then, you might have problems because somebody heard about the place and decided to pay you a visit. It might be OK on some private estate in Hawaii.

Edited by Headshot
shadow

It is a beautiful concept house, but like you mentioned, security would be a huge issue here in the Philippines. I can't imagine any place in the Philippines where you could own that house where all of the contents wouldn't just grow legs and walk away the first time you went to the store and nobody was left home. This isn't like some small town in the US where you can leave your doors all unlocked and your windows open at night to catch a cool breeze. Maybe if you owned your own island, and there were no other inhabitants besides you, your family, your helpers and some security guards...maybe then this house would work in the Philippines. Even then, you might have problems because somebody heard about the place and decided to pay you a visit. It might be OK on some private estate in Hawaii.

Ahhh, then you need to come and visit Valencia. The only person here that has security issues is Wrye!

;)

• Like 2
SomeRandomGuy

Ahhh, then you need to come and visit Valencia. The only person here that has security issues is Wrye! ;)

I do not know how true that is shadow but I do admit I have met some lovely lovely people up in valencia. last time i was driving around up there it started raining and a local family invited us into their house and we ended up having a few drinks with them... nice people

Ahhh, then you need to come and visit Valencia. The only person here that has security issues is Wrye!

;)

LOL at the rate I was having crap stolen a person might think I was living in the house pictured.

Maybe the no walls/doors approach would make them think it was a setup and they would think twice.

Another downside I just thought of is that the dog's would be free to mark all you stuff as theirs.

Would need one of these:

Paintball gun that automatically shoots at anything moving in target area.

Posted Image

Fill that baby up with mace filled paintballs. Surveillance system a must for watching the fun while your away.

• Like 2
shadow

Maybe the no walls/doors approach would make them think it was a setup and they would think twice.

We lived our first 8 years here in a house with unfinished walls and no locks on the doors, which were seldom ever closed anyway. It is only since we built something a little more secure and started to lock things in the last year that we have had any theft at all.

• Like 2

It is only since we built something a little more secure and started to lock things in the last year that we have had any theft at all.

That sentry gun is only 700 bucks. I'm VERY tempted! >_>

On craigslist.com? about a 1.5 months ago they had a big traditional house for vacation rental------very expensive-----------But the house was huge and very impressive ----- very detailed

Edited by KID

Here is something I came up with. 80sqm. Kinda small but more than I need.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Davaoeno
Sitting in AC just stops you from acclimatizing.

While there is some truth in that, I think its more a matter of age. I find that at 66 I dont adapt anywhere near as well to most of the things that I did just 10 years ago .   I used to acclimatize easily.   Not so anymore .   I used to be able to fly 20 hours and miss a nights sleep and continue on as if nothing had happened- now I am a zombie for several days.  

As much as I like to pretend that I am still 40 and can do everything that I could then- as well as I could then- I'm having a hard time keeping up to my own bullshit ! 

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 6

I designed and built my own single story house in Bohol area 390m2.

I put bathrooms and toilets on both sides with kitchen and another toilet for visitors in a more central location.

I back there in 2 weeks. PM me if you will be there and want to take a look. Always happy to give free advice