designing your own provincial house?

I designed our small house here in the province on graph paper. Handed it to the construction foreman and said build it. A week later, we started the process for construction permits and had a blue print prepared. Required for the construction permit, electrician, etc. But basically, they used my design. We are still in papas small house as its being built. We are there to observe every day. This small house is made far better than the house i had built in florida. I bought a portable air con, put a ceiling in this room we are staying in. Works good, except during brownouts lately. Electric bill was 5500, includes pump for deep well, electric stove (my wife cooks me my meals, not using dirty kitchen), air con. Been here on island for almost 3 months. Workers are excellent here, except one time when a relative of wife decided to convince them to drink on the job. I observed the tile next day and said redo it. Also told foreman, drinking after work only. Slacker ass fisherman relative, i will watch him when he comes again. Anyway, good luck, you must be there to observe.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Enuff

• USCebuana

• Headshot

• thebob

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good luck on having family help you build your house while you aren't there to supervise. It has been a recipe for disaster for many foreigners building something here in the Philippines. Why would yo

While there is some truth in that, I think its more a matter of age. I find that at 66 I dont adapt anywhere near as well to most of the things that I did just 10 years ago .   I used to acclimatize e

There is nothing wrong with this, but does she let the construction crew do whatever they want to do? I'm thinking she is also an eagle-eyed supervisor who knows how things are supposed to be done?  

Posted Images

BossHog

Not to be a contrarian, but...

I've found that construction time is time for me to disappear.My wife and I would squabble over small details like paint and tile color, window placement, number of rooms, etc. When in reality I could really care less and she has strong design ideas and can manage people just fine

Workers walking around the property, not to mention in the  buildings, I find to be invasive and stressful.

When she wants to build something I'll go to the mainland "to be near the bank" or visit a friend's resort until the work is done.

Construction work is noisy and it's frustrating to watch them putz around. Not for me.

I let the wife build whatever she wants and then give the workers room to do it. Pink walls, built in flower pots. Heck if I care,

She got 80% of our house built and two other buildings completed while I was overseas. Built solid and no problems. Win-win.

Replacing the roof on the resto kitchen, painting the house walls, putting in a ceiling soon. I'll just show up Friday afternoon for beer and salary paying and disappear by Monday morning.

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 2

I let the wife build whatever she wants

There is nothing wrong with this, but does she let the construction crew do whatever they want to do? I'm thinking she is also an eagle-eyed supervisor who knows how things are supposed to be done?

My partner has definitive ideas about what she wants a place to look like and be like, but no idea of how it should, or can, be built. If she did, I could have sat back here in Canada and not worried (instead of sitting back here AND worrying!)

It's not all doom and gloom though - this is what we ended up with...

post-15276-0-15109300-1382702529_thumb.jpg

• Like 6
USCebuana

Here OP,

This was my plan for my house in the bukid. I wasn't there during the build and so many changes were made. But well, life is short it's better to just count our blessings.  :baby:

post-3368-0-23398900-1382739688_thumb.jpg

post-3368-0-64054800-1382739772_thumb.jpg

Davaoeno

The OP says he wants his house to be 60-80 sq m .  I find it hard to put in hallways and still meet that size.  My plan says 70 m but in fact that includes the garage !!!

Re water pipe placement , you will see that in my design both CRs and the kitchen are all in the same corner of the house- thereby saving on costs, and also potential future expenses when fixing leaks 

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 1
USCebuana

There's a lot of schemes to make the plan better but I just wanted it to be open and simple. If you can it's better for the plumbing to be grouped together. We did not build the garage by the way. Out of funds. :sad_01:

• Like 1

yes, I like that plan, just really want a dirty kitchen.

I know what she cooks and what it smells like, dirty kitchen is a must for me. although the garage can/will be added later im sure.

I agree with BIL on the plumbing. in usa we have elevated foundations/basements, studded walls, quality plumbing products and good plumbers. if he already knows there will be problems he might be saving me many pesos.

thanks for the design, di you draw that with a program?

Edited by bigmook

di you draw that with a program

I have tried a couple (free ones) but I haven't found one yet that I really like.

Sweet Home 3D - good for wall/room layout and a nice view. Doesn't seem to do roofs.

post-15276-0-03742500-1382744980_thumb.jpg

Google Sketchup - a bit too generic and possibly too powerful. I don't have a good handle on this one. Roofs are difficult.

post-15276-0-37779300-1382744993_thumb.jpg

Powerpoint - it's easy to do something quite good - but you cannot create a 3D shape. I did this to show some wall designs

post-15276-0-34537400-1382745006_thumb.jpg

I would assume Davaoeno uses something a bit more professional.

By the way - that back porch didn't happen - but that's another story  :)

• Like 1
Davaoeno

I would assume Davaoeno uses something a bit more professional.

actually that house I just paid the Engineer 1500 pesos to draw.   The house in the enclosed pic we had an architect draw [ and get the building permits etc]- that cost 48,000

that house is 400 sq meters and sits on 2 1/2 hectares

post-8045-0-86864400-1382754019_thumb.jpg

Edited by Davaoeno
USCebuana

I used Sketchup for the presentation but I use AutoCad for the plans. I'll show you another scheme when I have the time.

Davaoeno

I used Sketchup for the presentation but I use AutoCad for the plans. I'll show you another scheme when I have the time.

Actually my engineer uses Autocad.  He emailed me a copy of the program but i never could get the damn thing to open !!  [ I assume it was hacked since little software here in Davao is OEM ]

USCebuana

Have him send you a jpg file of the plans and presentation. You have to ask him for the key # before you can open it.

thebob

I'm always amazed that people want to live in concrete boxes in the tropics.

I spend most of my time outside, and don't need A/C.

Horses for courses I suppose.

• Like 1
Davaoeno

I spend most of my time outside, and don't need A/C.

maybe you live somewhere cooler than Davao, where almost everyday it is over 90 degrees , and my aircon office is my sanctuary , because the heat just saps my energy so much i never get anything done- in fact I find it hard to think .

Right now I am in Vancouver, its 3 degrees out , and altho I have to wear a winter jacket I am loving it !! It feels so refreshing its unbelievable.

• Like 3
thebob

maybe you live somewhere cooler than Davao, where almost everyday it is over 90 degrees , and my aircon office is my sanctuary , because the heat just saps my energy so much i never get anything done- in fact I find it hard to think .

I spend most of my time in Moalboal, I don't think the weather is very different to Davao. I don't have a problem with it.

Sitting in AC just stops you from acclimatizing.

• Like 1