Thats what they say

SomeRandomGuy

SomeRandomGuy

ha... I have an awesome partner ( yay me) but there is one thing that makes me groan.... anything that starts or ends with these 4 words..... "THATS WHAT THEY SAY"

for instance....if u sleep to full u will not be able to wake up.." that's what they say"

if you go out into the rain you will get sick.. "thats what they say"

and u need to drink water with salt so u won't get sick..." thats what they say"

if u exercise and then have a shower you can get varicose veins " thats what they say"

If you are sick and have a shower u will get sicker and die "thats what they say"

i have virtually hundreds of these almost every month

today if u have a black butterfly/ black ants in the house u leave it as it means money " thats what they say"

what other things have u guys heard that THEY know.... as these THEY my wonderful partner keep talking about I sure hope they are not doctors or anyone that makes decissions for people as it seems THEY say a lot of shit....

yes i know it is stuff her mum and that would have said to her and even after showing her all the facts she still turns around the next day and tells me a THATS WHAT THEY SAY fact.or question... luckily she is cute

anyone got a few more of these?

Skywalker

All foreigners are rich.......TWTS

• Admin (Retired)
broden

thhey, must  be the biggest section in bartlett's

You could write a book.

i have heard so many my brain now just seems to block them out.

• Like 1

I never heard my wife say-"That's what they say".She will of course mention different superstitions as they apply but she never says-"That's what they say".

• Like 1

If you do gardening whilst menstruating the plants will die. TWTS

Chop down a tree? The White Lady will get you. TWTS

Jesus is leaving us a pot of gold in the garden. TWTS

My favorite....stones grow! TWTS

HeyMike

You could write a book.

i have heard so many my brain now just seems to block them out.

That's what they say.

• Like 1
bahalina buong

I never heard my wife say-"That's what they say".She will of course mention different superstitions as they apply but she never says-"That's what they say".

Yeah, mine neither.  Sounds like she is a bit westernized, which isn't a bad thing at all.  At least you can communicate with her.  My wife is well educated, but has no life experience, so I guess  it's up to me to bridge the communication gap.  We started with 3 hours of Gilligan's Island tonight.  :)

Edited by bahalina buong
  • Like 3

Not a TWTS but my girls mother used to think a girl riding a bicycle will lose her virginity................

My GF distanced herself from her friend because she had an affair, I asked why & she said, you know "birds of a feather.....................

I dont get alot of TWTS but I get alot of "its tradition"

mikejwoodnz

What really really pisses me off is after carefully explaining something they clearly do not know or have ever comprehended the Dong invariably smiles and says "I know this already". On my less irritable days, or if it is my wife, I will accept "I know this already" to mean "OK got it Boss !"

• Like 1
SomeRandomGuy

luckily this is a thing that has only started happening just recently... my partner is not dumb but has discovered all the things she was told for the majority of her life is all bull shit.

These days someone will tell her something and she either already knows it is bullshit or actually gets on the computer and finds out for herself.... it is quiet rewarding to watch her sit there and call bs on the dongs and the di's when they are trying to tell her how things are...

I just find it funny as recently she wrote down all the things that she has been told by her family and went and researched it herself.... and what a transformation I have seen in her.

It is like the wool or curtain has been removed and she is actually acting and thinking so much more western then I could ever thought possible ( might have to think about an exit plan)

I have just found it fascinating some of the things she has been told and believed for most of her life.

I was planning on leaving this country but lately the thought of going and leaving her here to study has made me re-evaluate my attitude.

Bloody woman trapping me with her personality and not her vagina...not used to that.

• Like 1
jtmwatchbiz

Bloody woman trapping me with her personality and not her vagina...not used to that.

nice try...do you think we were born yesterday? 

• Like 3

What really really pisses me off is after carefully explaining something they clearly do not know or have ever comprehended the Dong invariably smiles and says "I know this already". On my less irritable days, or if it is my wife, I will accept "I know this already" to mean "OK got it Boss !"

That may be the most correct interpretation actually. I'm only beginning to study Cebuano. It strikes me that the locals often use the English word "already" to mean not "already" but rather just "currently" or "now". I think that is because in Cebuano they would use the word "na" for any of those purposes (and many more)...

Or it could be a face saving thing :-)

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
That Masked Man

nice try...do you think we were born yesterday? 

Well, if you were, you'd definitely be underage! ;)

More seriously (slightly), I often hear about Filipino folklore and "what they say" but it is definitely with a tone of "Take it for what it's worth, which may not be much." Actually I like to hear these things, even if I am going to dismiss them, because there is a fine line between cultural traditions and old wives' tales, and when it comes to traditions, "when in Rome...." or in this case Cebu.