Sign in to follow this  
Majorsco

Mexican Restaurant Review - Mooon Cafe in Dipolog City

Majorsco

Today I found the Mooon Cafe serving Mexican food in Dipolog City. I knew I wouldn't find authentic Mexican, but what I received would make supermarket frozen bean burritos look good.

I had a beef chimichanga and not only could I not find the beef but it was soggy. The menu had a mark that it was spicy but it was bland and tasteless as can be.

I also had a beef burrito that had a little flavor but had a baked burrito. Burritos aren't supposed to be baked, unless of course you're baking it to cook a pre made frozen burrito. The last thing I had was a quesadilla Vera Cruz. It was not like any Vera Cruz I ever had. It had a little cheese, a few chopped small shrimp with a little chopped green tomato on top (not salsa or pico de gallo).

I had a clue from a waitress when I overheard her ask my wife if she was going to order lunch, as if the Mexican food wasn't good enough.

Although a nice modern decor, I'd have to warn anyone from this Mexican restaurant unless you want to order Filipino food, which is also available.

It was worse than my extremely low expectations.

Skywalker

Mooon Cafes are everywhere, I think they are a franchise?

Never had a good meal at any of them I have tried.

I've spent many holidays in Mexico, and strangely the best Mexican restaurant I've been to, is in Bangkok, owned and run by a British guy.

Majorsco

Good to know about them being possibly a franchise. I haven't had good Mexican except in San Antonio and one place in Scottsdale AZ.

Jawny

Mooon in Ormoc City sucks.

HeyMike

My wife and I eat at Maya's Native Garden when we are in Moalboal. I like their Mexican food, but I am no expert on Mexican food. Has anyone ever eaten there, and did you think the Mexican food was good?

Never been to the Mooon Cafe'.

BossHog

Mooon Cafe in Surigao sucks really really bad.

soggy. microwaved. bland. rancid,

Oh, yeah. rancid, Did I mention the rancid meat?.

If hungry at the mall I'd rather get a half kilo of Winner "hotdogs" from the supermarket and eat them frozen with the plastic condom still on.

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 4

mrlondon

I have tried something at mooon cafe before... the pizza! It's pretty good for the philippines. I was suprised because their other food wasn't that great.

Actually I often go to mooon for the salad. They have one of the best raw, simple, wheat free salads you can get for 80pesos (95 at some outlets). 

• Like 1

SkyMan

They have one of the best raw, simple, wheat free salads you can get for 80pesos (95 at some outlets).
I never would have thought I would order a salad and have to ask for it to be wheat free.
  • Like 2

smokey

Today I found the Mooon Cafe serving Mexican food in Dipolog City. I knew I wouldn't find authentic Mexican, but what I received would make supermarket frozen bean burritos look good.

I had a beef chimichanga and not only could I not find the beef but it was soggy. The menu had a mark that it was spicy but it was bland and tasteless as can be.

I also had a beef burrito that had a little flavor but had a baked burrito. Burritos aren't supposed to be baked, unless of course you're baking it to cook a pre made frozen burrito. The last thing I had was a quesadilla Vera Cruz. It was not like any Vera Cruz I ever had. It had a little cheese, a few chopped small shrimp with a little chopped green tomato on top (not salsa or pico de gallo).

I had a clue from a waitress when I overheard her ask my wife if she was going to order lunch, as if the Mexican food wasn't good enough.

Although a nice modern decor, I'd have to warn anyone from this Mexican restaurant unless you want to order Filipino food, which is also available.

It was worse than my extremely low expectations.

Ditto i tried the taco and it was so full of some weird cheese it was not to my liking at all better taco bell

hyaku

They started off well. But the portions get smaller. Nothing you can't make at home if you buy jalapeno.

• Like 1

Majorsco

Ditto i tried the taco and it was so full of some weird cheese it was not to my liking at all better taco bell

And that stuff they called sour cream. I still can't figure out what it was but it sure didn't taste like what it was supposed to be.

Majorsco

They started off well. But the portions get smaller. Nothing you can't make at home if you buy jalapeno.

I'd make it at home but I can't get tortillas here in Dipolog city and didn't see them in Dumaguete when I shop there. I can get most of the rest. Real sour cream is the other thing I can't get. I tried to make sour cream but that canned or boxed cream won't with, not real cream.

twostrokes

Good to know about them being possibly a franchise. I haven't had good Mexican except in San Antonio and one place in Scottsdale AZ.

Keep in mind, 95% of the Mexican food you get in San Antonio is Not Mexican food per sa....It is known kindly as

TEX-MEX. Don't know about Scottsdale, AZ but I have had Mexican food in other areas of AZ and it was quite different than what you get in Texas. Seemed to be much more into green chilies and all. Have also had some good "Mexican" food in SDiego, and across the boarder in Rosarido Beach area of Baha.

mrlondon

I never would have thought I would order a salad and have to ask for it to be wheat free.

Pizza Hut is another place I go for my salad fix, but their salad has all kinds of stuff I don't like: cheese, wheat croutons, weird dressing...

I like a simple oil and lemon juice as my dressing, and moon cafe always seem to get that right. 

Side note, if you want affordable, good food, go staight to Golden Cowrie. Their desserts are good, and for some amazing reason cost only 40 pesos... unli rice is 35 pesos... the main courses run 100-300 a head.  Selection is limited (it's all filipino!), but well worth going once a fortnight.

Edited by mrlondon

Majorsco

Keep in mind, 95% of the Mexican food you get in San Antonio is Not Mexican food per sa....It is known kindly as

TEX-MEX. Don't know about Scottsdale, AZ but I have had Mexican food in other areas of AZ and it was quite different than what you get in Texas. Seemed to be much more into green chilies and all. Have also had some good "Mexican" food in SDiego, and across the boarder in Rosarido Beach area of Baha.

No, that percentage is a bit high. I lived in San Antonio for over 3 years. If you go to the hole in the wall places run by real Mexican families you'll find real Mexican food. I found places where they still mAke barbacoa the old fashioned way.The more visible places are selling a lot of tex mex I grant you.

Even tex mex has its traditional vs. popularized versions. I used to get some of the best traditional tex mex half way between San Antonio and Del Rio, just outside where John Wayne filmed The Alamo. For chicken fried steak, no one beats the Alamo cafe in San Antonio where they claim it was invented.

Same in Scottsdale, except it is more Americanized Mexican food than even tex mex, except for one family fun Holbein the wall I found.

bahalina buong

That's actually our favorite place to eat, which says a lot about how lousy the food scene is in Ormoc.  IMO, the beef chimichanga is the best Mexican-inspired menu item and anything with cheese (nachos, quesadilla, etc.) should be avoided.  Fish fillet, pizza and sisig are decent also, the beer is cold, and the service is ok.  One thing I've noticed is that the food quality drops off during the busy times, so we usually hit it before the lunch crowd or around 2-3pm. 

Mandingo

Sucks is putting it mildly......

MattFromGA

I can't get tortillas here in Dipolog city

Forget finding good tortillas in the Philippines.  The best way to get good tortillas there is to make them yourself.  Its a hard job, and I've had house maids quit over being asked to make them every few days.

Majorsco

That's actually our favorite place to eat, which says a lot about how lousy the food scene is in Ormoc. IMO, the beef chimichanga is the best Mexican-inspired menu item and anything with cheese (nachos, quesadilla, etc.) should be avoided. Fish fillet, pizza and sisig are decent also, the beer is cold, and the service is ok. One thing I've noticed is that the food quality drops off during the busy times, so we usually hit it before the lunch crowd or around 2-3pm.

I tried the chimichanga as well as the burrito and found them both really, really bad and with almost no filling. The topping was disgusting.

I used to curse out Taco Bell for their quality, but compared to Mooon, they are Mexican food gods.

Half Baked

For chicken fried steak, no one beats...

Eaglebauer sure misses him some chicken fried steak... especially from Barbecue Inn in Houston.

Guy60417

Today I found the Mooon Cafe serving Mexican food in Dipolog City.

I ate at the one in Robinson's Cybergate -- horrible.

I knew I was in trouble when they brought the food (I think it was alleged to be a burrito) and when I asked for hot sauce, the waitress pointed to the bottle of Tabasco wanna-be on the table. I said, "No, I mean Mexican hot sauce" and the look on her face told me that she was unaware of any difference.

what I received would make supermarket frozen bean burritos look good.

Actually, the frozen burritos from Metro Ayala formed a major part of my diet in my last few months in Cebu. Much better than most of the other food available.

• Like 1

towboat72

ive saying moon café sucks for the last year.

CardiacKid

I have been an anti-fan of Mooon Cafe since it was once proposed as a site for monthly expat get togethers by Don Herrington. That SOB caused more harm to new expats than anyone I know. The lies he spread about the cost of living here and the conditions caused many to take his or his boot licker pals advice and move here. In eight years since I have never seen a report that was favorable for the Cafe. His Yahoo Group was the antithesis of this Forum. 

hyaku

I see mooons have a Buko shake franchise as well now.

Think I'll stick to my Indian cuisine. Plenty of ingredients to be found. Got a load of goodies from the grocery next to the Indian Temple in Mabolo. Can anyone tell me somewhere else I might shop? I heard there was one in colon.

• Like 1

easy44

oo

That's actually our favorite place to eat, which says a lot about how lousy the food scene is in Ormoc.  IMO, the beef chimichanga is the best Mexican-inspired menu item and anything with cheese (nachos, quesadilla, etc.) should be avoided.  Fish fillet, pizza and sisig are decent also, the beer is cold, and the service is ok.  One thing I've noticed is that the food quality drops off during the busy times, so we usually hit it before the lunch crowd or around 2-3pm. 

I have eaten at 2 different Mooon's in Cebu and now the Ormoc restaurant a couple of times since I moved to Leyte.  My opinion of Mooon's has always been that their food looks like Mexican but tastes like Filipino.  What I had at the Ormoc location wasn't too bad, although not to be confused with real Mexican.  I had a beef burrito and a chimichanga that were actually sort of tasty, in a sweetish Filipino way.

Mooon's has found the sweet spot (so to speak) for Filipino restaurants.  Cheap dishes that most can afford, small portions (so they can be cheap) and Filipino style (sweet) sauces and seasoning.  Filipinos with a small incomes can eat in a real restaurant, instead of a carenderia, feel almost middle class, and not blow their weekly pay check.

BTW, has anyone in Ormoc eaten at Lorenzo's Cafe?  I have eaten there a few times and found some of their dishes to be good at a reasonable price.  Not their Mexican stuff though.  The nachos were crap.

Still looking for good restaurants in Ormoc.

Edited by easy44
  • Like 1