American ex-pats and the Affordable Health Care act

I guess this pertains to NON VETS. Regarding the penalty for not having health care coverage, one must be outside the U.S. for 330 days or more during the calendar year to not incur penalties. How do you prove it or how do they dispute it ??? I'll call around some more. This is per the IRS. I myself would welcome an insurance carrier under the ACA to cover me and my pre-existing conditions at a reasonable price. If I find anything I'll let you all know. Still want to talk to A+International to see what they will cover me on for the $900 a year since they pretty much CAN extrapolate all my PE's to encompass anything and everything. I should give them a fair chance though. I will try to get a hold of somebody on the phone over there in Hong Kong.

So I gotta pay state taxes too ? That sux. I should change my residence to Delaware or Florida. Anybody done this ?

Edited by fluke
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SkyMan

• fluke

• lamoe

• Jawny

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

move your home of record to Guam  and hope over and get a Guam DL.  Guam no sALES TAX and no TERRITORIAL TAX.  The Guam DL gives you relief from state sales tax when you purchase items on the mainlan

I don't believe it matters what countries you visit as long as you aren't in the US more 30 days a year.

Exactly.  No need to bother with state taxes once you live here.

SkyMan

Regarding the penalty for not having health care coverage, one must be outside the U.S. for 330 days or more during the calendar year to not incur penalties. How do you prove it or how do they dispute it ??? I'll call around some more. This is per the IRS.
It's in your passport.

So I gotta pay state taxes too ?
No, where did you hear that?
passingby

move your home of record to Guam  and hope over and get a Guam DL.  Guam no sALES TAX and no TERRITORIAL TAX.  The

Guam DL gives you relief from state sales tax when you purchase items on the mainland in some states.  I am a GUAM resident but still have a bank account in a state with a sales tax. and  DL and professionaL medical licence  in that state.

• Like 2
SkyMan

move your home of record to Guam
I know how an active duty service member does this but how would anyone else?

I guess this pertains to NON VETS. Regarding the penalty for not having health care coverage, one must be outside the U.S. for 330 days or more during the calendar year to not incur penalties. How do you prove it or how do they dispute it ??? I'll call around some more. This is per the IRS. I myself would welcome an insurance carrier under the ACA to cover me and my pre-existing conditions at a reasonable price. If I find anything I'll let you all know. Still want to talk to A+International to see what they will cover me on for the $900 a year since they pretty much CAN extrapolate all my PE's to encompass anything and everything. I should give them a fair chance though. I will try to get a hold of somebody on the phone over there in Hong Kong.

So I gotta pay state taxes too ? That sux. I should change my residence to Delaware or Florida. Anybody done this ?

From what I have been able to understand, the aca does not provide coverage for overseas residents. As a result, a USA citizen who lives overseas does NOT have to sign up for aca and does NOT have to pay a penalty. As to establishing proof of overseas residence, I would guess the entires in your passport would reveal enough information. Not really sure about this as there may be travelers who don't stay in one place very long but do stay away for the calendar year.

State taxes falls into a different category and will confuse the responses.

Good luck with getting coverage for $900 a year. You may want to consider Philhealth as an alternative.

SkyMan

Not really sure about this as there may be travelers who don't stay in one place very long but do stay away for the calendar year.
I don't believe it matters what countries you visit as long as you aren't in the US more 30 days a year.
  • Like 1

You can visit the U.S. up to 35 to 36 days (leap year) by my calculations.

Delaware is pretty close and none of the above if I don't own real estate which I won't. I'll check into this.

$900 a year health insurance is possible. Check this out. Pretty recent. For $900 a year I would do both (PhilHealth).

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/60417-health-insurance/

Urban legend I guess regarding Delaware. Florida here I come.

Edited by fluke

State of Maryland (current residence), said to just use my address in the Phils when filing my Federal return and don't file a state return that year.

Fluke,

My understanding

Not all Vets qualify for complete healthcare - need minimum 30% for physical free procedures - they'll send bill to your insurance carrier if you have one to try to get paid

Pay $8 co-pay / month per prescription  - believe need 50% for that to stop.

Also no dentures unless got teeth knocked as part of service.

Ok I am not a Vet but I did spend the night in a Holiday Inn.

I will also post this info on Bill's other Health Insurance topic also but I am looking at 2 other insurance companies for my coverage. They both have U.S. offices in Indiana. They are Seven Corners and IMG (International Medical Group) . There will be several options as to top end of coverage and deductible as well as in-patient  alone or with out-patient. The pre-existing conditions will be what I have to weed through.

Edited by fluke

Wasn't ragging on you.

Most people amuse all vets get their healthcare taken care of by VA. 

Admit a lot of us - especially on this forum do qualify in some way - but them our previous line of work did not meet OSAHA standards.

Edited by lamoe
SkyMan

State of Maryland (current residence), said to just use my address in the Phils when filing my Federal return and don't file a state return that year.

Exactly.  No need to bother with state taxes once you live here.

• Like 1

So I gotta pay state taxes too ? That sux

I'm very interested in what you find out about healthcare and ACA as I have pre-existing conditions as well.

I'm a resident of Washington State which has no state tax.  There are several other states with no state tax.  Visit one,

get a divers license and a mail box for 6 months...register to vote...shouldn't be a problem....

How do you prove it or how do they dispute it ???

A quick look at your passport is pretty good proof of where you spend your time...filing taxes abroad helps keep the IRS at bay, too

SkyMan

There are several other states with no state tax. Visit one, get a divers license and a mail box for 6 months...register to vote...shouldn't be a problem....

Why bother with all that? Once here, file your last partial year's state taxes and you're done. As long as you don't own a house in the states, you're not a resident of a state.