Evolution of Hard Disk Drives

HeyMike

I believe knowdafish has proven beyond doubt that evolution is just a... a.... sorry, wrong thread. :huh_01:

• Like 2
twostrokes

Heathkit may have even had a computer back then, to build. I know they offered all sorts of things at the time, for the amateur. 

Yes, they did, I purchased one in about 84 or 85. I paid almost as much for the 20meg hard drive as I did for the rest of the kit. Was also told, I was crazy for spending that much money for a bunch of storage I could never use up. I actually took that computer with me when I moved to the RP in 87. Unfortunately with kid in SCI computer school, he brought home so many disks with virus infections, I could not keep it operating. But in the end, Mt. Pinatubo took it out forever.

• Like 1

Wish I had pics of an old job. I moved a cities computer bank 50+ years ago. Frames of electronics weighing near half a ton. Took a week to do the job.

arentol

I can relate to everything you wrote, Monsoon.

I think I knew that programming wasn't for me when, in 1985, I spent 3 hours typing in BASIC code; the result was a little Pac-Man running across the screen. A bit of a let down.

When the shiny new 300 baud modem was on my desk, though, it really opened up a world of possibilities. Countless hours spent on local BBSs where I ran AD&D campaigns on message boards. Even to the point of having real-life meetups with my players at the local arcade/miniature golf place. No need for high school friends... That little modem ended up being my key to a new world of friends and experiences. Great memories for a 14 year old.

I even recall the first p*orn image I got... Made entirely of ASCII characters. If you stood back about 10 feet and squinted your eyes, it all came together. When you're 15 with raging hormones, anything will do.

Cheers,

Aren

I didn't have any storage at all on my first computer. I used to spend hours typing in BASIC programs from magazines and books and then hours fixing the errors then play the game until it was time to turn off the computer. Finally got a 5.25 floppy drive that weighed more than my current laptop a few months later. 

My first modem, now that was really WOW!

• Like 1

My parents bought our first computer when i was 16. I think that was 1999. Took me all of 5 minutes to figure out p*orn was on the internet. It was a constant battle between me and my mom........and I got my dad in a lot of trouble always blaming him for the history tab. Of course he wasn't innocent of he would have called me on it and beat my ass. Remember that dial up sound and a picture took about 5 minutes to work it's way down. Had to be patient to wank it in those days.

Jump forward 14 years and there is over a terabyte of p*orn videos floating around my hard drives. Would have been impossible to imagine that back in the day. I can only imagine the future of p*orn.........and I imagine that it will be truly awesome.

Sent from my NEO-X5 using Tapatalk 4

Long ago I worked on computers.

The hardware rather than the software, (although I did have to learn Fortran, and later picked up BASIC).

It was TTL and DTL at that time, long before there were IC's.

Data "storage" was a transistor or diode (short term) a mercury-filled delay line (medium term) or punched paper tape (a la teleprinter technology) for long term.

Then along came magnetic tape storage, using massive reels of tape, that ran at frieghteningly fast speeds. (But still had miniscule capacity.)

That was about the time I got out and back into "proper" electonics.

A good job as the digital & computer world advanced at such speeds that I doubt I could have kept up.

Now?

I press the keys and swear when things dont go as I want!

As for storage, I have a 1tb drive which is almost full.

In 1969 I learned COBOL and Fortran on an IBM 360.  The core memory was doughnut shaped metal cores with wires wrapped around each for read, write and refresh.  It was a TOS (tape operating system).  I still remember most of the hollerith code for the punched card reader. 

My first experience with a hard disk was doing the weekly PM on a Mercury 60MB drive.  Each week we had to check the tension of the drive belt and align the heads.  The thing was the size of a washing machine.