Will the earthquakes cool the buying and rental market?

I am going to guess it will. I am going to guess it might now slow down the rental market for condos or even for three or more story houses, thus possibly slowing down the buying market as well.  Will rental and buying prices finally drop as I and others have been predicting for years? 

While I am a firm believer in what will be will be, no matter where I am, I am going to bet a lot of others do not feel like I do. What do you think? Will this finally cool down those investing in Cebu real estate? Will this make a buying opportunity? 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brucewayne

• smokey

• Davaoeno

• lamoe

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well to give you the heads up from my side, we have got 4 clients wanting to move out of condos this last week, pretty scary Tuesday morning especially for some that live in older condo blocks. As far

But isn't it also true that 100% of highrises are still fine after the strongest earthquake ever recorded in this area. All buildings that collapsed are one/two story buildings. In addition some old h

This whole country is long over due for a property decrease/bubble pop. I actually get very concerned when a country where 80% live on less then 2 dollars a day look at condo;s being built and sold f

I strongly think anything higher then one floor level will take a big drop whether rental or purchase.But then there will always be those that arrive wearing blinders that will have no clue what the possibilitys can be..Someone ought to invent an airbag home that floats.

• Like 1
Brucewayne

Greedy sellers always go up or stay the same, but foreign investments in larger holdings should come to a screeching halt.

Tourism will also take a hit, possibly causing some decrease in income and property prices.

SomeRandomGuy

This whole country is long over due for a property decrease/bubble pop.

I actually get very concerned when a country where 80% live on less then 2 dollars a day look at condo;s being built and sold for millions of peso's.

very very worried

• Like 4
Brucewayne

This whole country is long over due for a property decrease/bubble pop.

I actually get very concerned when a country where 80% live on less then 2 dollars a day look at condo;s being built and sold for millions of peso's.

very very worried

I'm not so worried, as I have been looking for the right property at a reasonable price for years now and am looking forward to a deflationary period here.

Inflation is NOT good for the poor either.

LastManStanding

I agree, its like Haiti, who books a trip to Haiti after the quake.  Not the average person.  The koreans are probably all watching the news where it looks like all the buildings came down and their parents are probably thinking, its too dangerous to send our kids there to study english.  My guess is that the condos with good location will survive like the ones near ayala.  A lot of the other ones will probably fail. Buying after this will only result in catching falling knives.

Time will tell.

• Like 1
Knowdafish

I agree, its like Haiti, who books a trip to Haiti...

Who goes to Haiti anyways? It's not like it is a premier tourist spot.

• Like 1

Well to give you the heads up from my side, we have got 4 clients wanting to move out of condos this last week, pretty scary Tuesday morning especially for some that live in older condo blocks. As far as I am aware the modern blocks stood up well to the tremors but that said I would not like to have been in any high rise last Tuesday. Will it change the market place? Probably not! One of my clients is a large international scaffolding and form works company from the UK, they are expanding their business monthly and have work building high rise buildings well into the future. Cebu will move north at an astounding rate if what they have told me is true. The bubble will not burst for about 5 years in my opinion and on the back of this knowledge I am about to start a construction company here in Cebu city. Won't be breaking ground till January but for sure we will be moving forwards very soon? Condominiums are not on our priority of building, as I was bitten by that market 10 years ago in the UK. But I am looking into town homes set up condo style so as foreigners can buy. my lawyer is looking into this right now.

• Like 5
SomeRandomGuy

Who goes to Haiti anyways? It's not like it is a premier tourist spot.

ha u know much the same could be said about RP

Most of S.E.A is volcanic on the ring of fire. Something many are born too. Looking at twisters in the U. S., experiencing the cold in other countries. One is hard pushed to find a country that does not have climatic catastrophe or bad weather.

Canuck Joe

Regarding tourism and economy, I think it will be slow for a year or so. Its still very quite on Mactan, many are staying at home, very little traffic and the hotel districts seem very quite as well. No one in the malls, taxis are idle and drivers are restless.

There has probably been a mass exodus of Koreans.

Edited by Canuck Joe
smokey

well i say what is the difference between a one story falling on you compared to a 3 story dead is dead... bubble how ? maybe the condo market that is all bank loans but the housing market i dont think so how can you have a bubble if there are no  loans.. my house has no cracks so its quality control or nothing our daughter is an engineer she said the signs of a possible problem is where the floor and the beam meet if there are cracks there and its not just skim coat there could be a problem .. our house was built with 25mm steel if i wanted i can go up another few floors.. doom and gloom when its your time nothing is going to stop it and it most likely on a bike then in a tall building 

• Like 2
CardiacKid

doom and gloom when its your time nothing is going to stop it and it most likely on a bike then in a tall building 
When it's your time to check out, nothing will stop it. When it's time to go, it's time to go. I have believed that for years.
  • Like 1

One would think this has done a lot of cooling off for a Bohol market.

This a cut from today`s Sun Star

sagbayan bohol
?

cebu-sagbayan-bohol.jpg

CEBU. Rosalia Sipsip inspects what’s left of the house and lot she put up for sale last August in Poblacion, Sagbayan, Bohol. Sipsip, 70, plans to sell the lot; spooked by last Tuesday’s 7.2 magnitude earthquake, her children in Manila want her to join them. (Alex Badayos)

• Like 1