Isohunt closed

A_Simple_Man

Another torrent site is closed down.  This one is Isohunt.  It was my favorite for quite a while and now the end has come.  Here is the story:

http://www.straight.com/life/513041/canadian-file-sharing-website-isohunt-shutting-down-after-lengthy-legal-dispute

A VANCOUVER PROGRAMMER has announced he’s shutting down IsoHunt, one of the most popular file-sharing websites on the internet.

“It’s sad to see my baby go,” reads a blog post written by Gary Fung. “But I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful. 10.5 years of isoHunt has been a long journey by any business definition, and forever in Internet startup time.”

He continues: “I’ve done the best I could pushing the social benefits of BitTorrent and file sharing, the searching and sharing of culture itself, but it’s time for me to move on to new software ideas and projects.”

For more than seven years, Fung has been on the defensive side of a legal battle with the Motion Picture Association of America. According to CBC News, he’s now settled that dispute and agreed to pay a fine of $110 million.

Another blog post written by Fung and marked with today’s date states that he will not be commenting on the details of his settlement.

• Like 1
SomeRandomGuy

This is a sad sad sad day... I use isohunt quiet often... could u pm me a new one as I have not kept up to date with any as this has always been my source

As of this moment in time isohunt still works for me.  But, for how much longer?

I spoke too soon.  Though the site is still up, you can no longer access any torrents. :(

Edited by TorJay
Irenicus

Isohunt was great.  They used to have a good number of supplemental seed sources that sped up the whole DL process.

Alas.

Knowdafish

I think the days of all torrent sites are numbered sad to say. 

A_Simple_Man

Isohunt did not work for me this morning but I was able to access the site this afternoon.  Hope it stays active, maybe a 'soft' close where nothing is done to the site but still accessible?  (No harm in being optimistic).

Edit:  Tried again and as of now it is R.I.P

Edited by A_Simple_Man
JamesMusslewhite

R.I.P. she will be duly missed.  smiley-face-crying.gif

extra torrents is still up and running, which has always been my favourite, they also have the comments and reviews

they have just moved from .com to .cc  I hope they can hold off for as long as possible

SkyMan

It does seem that as old sites are shutting down, new ones aren't popping up to replace them.  This could get bad.

SomeRandomGuy

another one is kickass torrents but it does not offer the same reviews or household names I have come to trust and know

I guess that means blulady and jaybob will be going somewhere else... where ever they go I will follow

Ezy tv is another but it is very hit and miss

• Like 1