jtmwatchbiz

you might want to read Pauls rules about advertising disguised as posts - as well as his thread titled  [

PLEASE do not insult me!]

actually, given the nature of the OP's initial post, the same could be said to him, and spritsail's response doesn't seem out of line at all...he was responding with valid info that he indeed has something similar to what the OP is looking for. neither seem like they were intending to circumvent the rules :)

• Like 2
Buko Beach

A little bit about me and my better half! I am a retired Canadian who has now lived in Talisay for over a year. We have been living fairly well on my pension, but Canada has a rule about being out of the country for longer than 6 months. They reduce/cut your benefits, pension and healthcare.

My gf/wife is a "Licensed Massage Therapist" and was working in Manila at a "Healing Spa" when I met her over a year ago. She has not been working since I arrived in the Phils and now would like to work or own/manage a Spa to supplement our income. She knows the business fairly well and has a good group of personnel who would be interested in working here in Cebu. 

Clientele would likely be upper class Locals and expats. Price points would be similar to existing competition, not lower. The focus would be on the Therapeutic aspects. When I arrived in Cebu, I warned Rove that I had a bad back and would need to recover my health with her help. She has managed to eliminate almost all of my back problems, with massage, and I now feel better than I have for many years. She is surprisingly strong in her hands for such a small woman.

The location would also determine somewhat, the clientele. Near a Mall would probably be best. I would have liked a spot near the Guisano SRP mall, but as of the earthquake, it is closed and I don't know when it will be back open. Even IF! 

I realize I know little about the business here, but I am usually a quick study! ;-)

GOW,

Thanks for the additional info. First, welcome to Linc and welcome to Cebu.

Ok so you stated your target clientele will be upper class locals and expats there are things you need to consider. My advice is offered in a general sense because we are discussing classes and with-in every genre of class there are extremes but the majority conform to the norm.

Upper Class Locals. First, while the middle class is growing in the Philippines in leaps and bounds the wealthy locals are hard to come by. Most of them are rich for a reason, they save their money and a lot of them are cheap when it comes to the service industry. They will wait until you have a promo sale or two-for-one sale. Most expect a discount and are not shy to inquire/demand. I'm talking about the older wealthy generation. The younger generation of upper class spend money like water. They spend, spend, spend, because in most cases they did not make it and live off the money there parents made.  

Expats. Most expats are on a fixed income. They live pension or disability cheque to cheque. Most are older and will not visit a spa when the one down the street charges less for a simple oil massage. They do not care if you have a special hot rock massage or that your providers are specially trained in reflexology (get your mind out of the gutter lol). Also most expats will not venture very far to get a massage. I know that in the past couple of years the expats that are arriving in Cebu are getting younger and younger. Some are also wealthier and more likely to visit an upscale massage spa, but they are still in the minority.

The vast majority of small independent massage places do not survive past the first year. They can't compete with the bigger massage chains like Nuat Thai/Thai Boran/Native Touch on price. You would have to find the right location and get a sweet lease deal or own the building and then create/build a truly stunning and relaxing massage/spa experience to justify charging a lot more than one of the big massage chains.

I think your best bet would be to open a massage place where a lot of Korean students/tourist are located since you want to cater to the upper class. They love to pamper themselves a lot and if you provide a good massage they will spread the word. There is a Korean school that teaches English in Banilad, that might be a good option or over on Mactan.

One last thing. You mentioned your "GF/WIFE", umm are you married or is she your girlfriend? You realize you would have to put any business/building purchase in her name right? I do not mean to pry, just inform.

• Like 1
Buko Beach

I am hoping that word-of-mouth advertising would work well, assuming that the facilities were good and the staff were well trained. You are probably correct about the size, but my plan is still very flexible. I am an ex IT manager from Ontario, Canada so an Internet Cafe might work for me. It might give me something else to do! LOL The Sari Sari store would be mainly for customers and staff to buy whatever they needed, but it depends on location too, and local competition.

There is a fairly large IT Industry located in Cebu. I would sniff around online to see what job openings are available. If you find something that sounds ok go check them out and meet with them. If all goes well ask them about getting you a work permit. You might have to leave the Philippines and re-enter on your work visa but that shouldn't be too bad.

If you find an IT job in Cebu the proceeds can help you pay for your spa dream. Personally I would ditch the netcafe/sari-sari idea. Netcafes are on the way out in the Philippines now that laptops and smart phones are getting cheaper and cheaper. Just not a lot of demand and when the competition charges 20php per hour of surfing/gaming (some even less) that will not even cover your veco bill mate. As to the sari-sari, it will take a chunk of pesos for the initial inventory and then the people you hire to work at the sari will steal/eat/give away to friends all your inventory. Not a lot of money to be made in a sari-sari unless you live in a rural setting and can charge more.

Let us know how it all turned out.

• Like 2
SomeRandomGuy

all true... maybe u should look at booking in advance flights back and forth to canada to keep your pension.... just in case... free money is good money

I've worked in Cebu for 3 years as a Software Engineer and I always look for a good massage after work once a week (usually friday). With this, you may also want to target customers who work on an IT related job (i.e. Call centers, etc.). It's really a pain in the back sitting in a chair for 8 hours. You can rent a place near IT Park or Cebu Business Park (if you want your place to be somewhere in Cebu City).

Edited by THENN
Davaoeno

actually, given the nature of the OP's initial post, the same could be said to him, and spritsail's response doesn't seem out of line at all...he was responding with valid info that he indeed has something similar to what the OP is looking for. neither seem like they were intending to circumvent the rules :)

I believe you are  confusing looking to buy with selling/renting.  I see nothing in Paul's posts where people are not allowed to ask where they can buy something, but I do see plenty where people are NOT allowed to sell/rent things without permission.

Surely you of all people can understand the difference between buying and selling  :friends:

Grey_O_Wolf

You guys have given me some good ideas and I thank you.

I just hope I can find a location somewhere that is similar to what I would like.

As for my gf/wife, we are not yet married, but I still treat her as my wife.

I do understand the regulations concerning foreign ownerships and have no intention of breaking any laws.

A huge resort is probably way too much for me, since the primary need is for a residence with 'potential'.

I would start small also. 

SomeRandomGuy

As for my gf/wife, we are not yet married,

u been together for a year and are going to put a substantial amount of money in her name..... can I ask u..if u were in canada would u do the same.... put all your money into a womans name that u have known for barley a year?

Not knocking you mate.... just after awhile its the same old story when someone is here... and then it is all tears when it does not work out and have lost everything.

I would think very carefully about putting anything into anyone's name. This ( in my opinion) is a place for you to live and retire to not make money... and the businesses u are talking about do not make money at all.

If you can work do it at home and make real money.... honestly I am not attacking you... just being bloody honest.... take her back home to canada for a year or two... if she does not run away then maybe just maybe think about putting assets into a womans name.

I have a lovely woman... trust her completely and she would never try and screw me over....  would I put any god damn thing into her name....feck no...why? because i wouldn't do it back home in oz...... so why the feck would I do it here....

I have been in heaps of relationships some have lasted 3   even 4 years... U get my point?     

oh and by the way.... have u personally done any research into the viability of any of these businesses? 

Go to a few massage palors... ask the staff how busy they are..... look at how many people are selling internet businesses( u don't sell a businesses if it is making money) and sari sari stores someone has already stated what to expect from them......  all 3 are holes in the ground u are just going to throw money into....

Please remember that there is a guy that flys in every minute thinking the same thing you are thinking.... Please remember there are guys flying back tears in their eyes because their friends or family had to buy them a ticket home as the went broke.....   

now in saying all that here is a better idea for u... a water business is viable... and they do work and they do make money and people need water....   

just ending it on that note because the rest of what I am saying is all doom and gloom........

not trying to clip your wings.... just being honest

• Like 1
A_Simple_Man

An internet cafe, a residence, a sari-sari store, a spa business, AND a fish pond with garden.

May be better than the Bar, gym and massage that a Canadian opened in Consolacion about 4 years ago.  I think he lasted a few months before leaving broke and in debt.

jtmwatchbiz

I believe you are  confusing looking to buy with selling/renting.  I see nothing in Paul's posts where people are not allowed to ask where they can buy something, but I do see plenty where people are NOT allowed to sell/rent things without permission.

Surely you of all people can understand the difference between buying and selling  :friends:

yes i of all people am a paid advertiser on this site and i still don't feel slighted at all by spritsail's post...

dc3driver

May be better than the Bar, gym and massage that a Canadian opened in Consolacion about 4 years ago.  I think he lasted a few months before leaving broke and in debt.

Wow, I really feel like I've missed out. Would have liked to have seen that one!

A_Simple_Man

Wow, I really feel like I've missed out. Would have liked to have seen that one!

Yes, you missed out.  LinC had a Christmas party there about 4 Chrismasses ago.  The owner promised us Alberta Beef but ran out after about 5 or 6 servings and substituted local beef.  Lots of members never went back.

bahalina buong

u been together for a year and are going to put a substantial amount of money in her name.....

Good post and hopefully the OP takes all the replies here to heart.  It sounds like he needs this business to be profitable in order to supplement a lesser pension payout, and that's a bad position to be in.  The wife likely has been promised a business and has visions of handsome profits and riches with it, as any Filipina would.  What's going to happen if the business struggles or fails, no one gets rich, and even worse, he is no longer able to support her in the manner with which she has become accustomed to?  It's not going to be a happy ending.  But if the OP should decide at this point not to give her the business, it might be even worse for him.  Rock and a hard place right now...if finances are an issue.

But if its just a hobby business and its failure will not affect their lifestyle much at all, then go for it.  Wish him the best. :)   

edit:  if it were me, I would sit down with gf and have a serious talk about the business and draw up a detailed business plan, budget and break-even analysis.  My wife has wanted a few businesses in the past and just putting it on paper, she realized we had no competitive advantage and would actually be working at a disadvantage due to my foreigner status.  She no longer wants a business.

Edited by bahalina buong
  • Like 1
Grey_O_Wolf

u been together for a year and are going to put a substantial amount of money in her name..... can I ask u..if u were in canada would u do the same.... put all your money into a womans name that u have known for barley a year?

Not knocking you mate.... just after awhile its the same old story when someone is here... and then it is all tears when it does not work out and have lost everything.

I would think very carefully about putting anything into anyone's name. This ( in my opinion) is a place for you to live and retire to not make money... and the businesses u are talking about do not make money at all.

If you can work do it at home and make real money.... honestly I am not attacking you... just being bloody honest.... take her back home to canada for a year or two... if she does not run away then maybe just maybe think about putting assets into a womans name.

I have a lovely woman... trust her completely and she would never try and screw me over....  would I put any god damn thing into her name....feck no...why? because i wouldn't do it back home in oz...... so why the feck would I do it here....

I have been in heaps of relationships some have lasted 3   even 4 years... U get my point?     

oh and by the way.... have u personally done any research into the viability of any of these businesses? 

Go to a few massage palors... ask the staff how busy they are..... look at how many people are selling internet businesses( u don't sell a businesses if it is making money) and sari sari stores someone has already stated what to expect from them......  all 3 are holes in the ground u are just going to throw money into....

Please remember that there is a guy that flys in every minute thinking the same thing you are thinking.... Please remember there are guys flying back tears in their eyes because their friends or family had to buy them a ticket home as the went broke.....   

now in saying all that here is a better idea for u... a water business is viable... and they do work and they do make money and people need water....   

just ending it on that note because the rest of what I am saying is all doom and gloom........

not trying to clip your wings.... just being honest

Brutally honest is ok. Research is something I tend to do a lot, but sometimes I can be a bit impulsive.

I spent 6 months researching the concept of simply coming to the Philippines from Canada to retire here. I have been reading these forums for almost 18 months now, and do not make decisions lightly. I only joined a few weeks ago! I am renting and likely will continue to rent. I have enough pension to live here ok at present, even after having it reduced so these thoughts about businesses are research in a way too, so all comments are welcomed. Most of these ideas of mine are partially a wish list but not quite in the realm of fantasy.

Impulsively, I posted this thread in the hope of someone spotting a location that might be better than what I currently have and open up other possibilities. I have a lot of things to occupy my time here, but Rove has tended to get bored at times and was interested in going back to work. There have been a few openings in her field, but mainly in Cebu proper, not close to where we live now, in Talisay. The transportation costs and time to and from a workplace that far away would be a real black hole.

So, I am entertaining ideas of a small 'hobby' business to make a few Pesos as well as reduce Rove's boredom.  :lol:

People that know me would not likely call me foolish or Naive, nor am I quick to trust. 

SomeRandomGuy

forex is a great option