Sign in to follow this  
MattFromGA

Anyone with recent knowledge of R&R carenderia in Guadalupe Cebu City?

MattFromGA

I really loved that place, and they catered my wedding too.  They were crushed by the school opening across the street which threatened their beer sales.

I haven't been in Cebu for a while and was wondering if anyone has been there or knows anything recently about it.

MattFromGA

Nobody has been there??  Is it gone?

mikejwoodnz

Sorry can't help you there - but I recall it from this memorable post :

Posted 18 June 2009 - 09:48 PM

Jay, on Jun 18 2009, 04:43 PM, said:snapback.png

The food here is good, the place is clean, the prices are reasonable, the beer is cold and the staff speak fluent English and were willing to run a tabfor me for the evening. Karen, aka Gigi, got two dinners: one of braised pork with bean sprouts and carrots, one of braised goat guts or something  :o plus two orders of rice and a bottle of spring water. I had 4 skewers of barbecued pork and three San Miguel pilsners plus an order of beef steak with onions and two orders of rice to go. It came to P349. It was all delicious except for Karen's goat which was a bit gamy tasting for my palette. I will definitely be back.

Edited by mikejwoodnz

Hy H

I live in Guadalupe for past year or so.

Not familiar with the name of this place.  Where about was / is it, street, corner or other poi in relation to location?

I can find out if it is still there for you. 

Paul

Hell, it's been too many years. But, go up from Jollibee, toward Guadaulpe Church. Oh, maybe 500 meters or so, on the left side, there was a hotel. You had to drive off the road, into the drive of the hotel. Anyway, R&R was just outside the hotel entrance, to the left as you come out of the hotel drive way. It was named because of the owners Roland (Singaporean), and Rose (Filipina). They were fantastic people, for sure. 

I remember when Roland first started collecting fish, and aquariums. This was early in 2003 or so? Anyway, he ultimately ended up with some NICE salt water aquariums in the place. They were quite popular, because they served 24 hours per day. Taxi drivers loved the place. 

If anyone could drop by that area to let us know if they are still around, please do so. It would certainly mean a lot to me, as well. 

Oh, I remember back when JJ and I were together. We could eat a complete meal, with a liter of soft drink, for less than Php 100. 

• Like 1

Hy H

Hell, it's been too many years. But, go up from Jollibee, toward Guadaulpe Church. Oh, maybe 500 meters or so, on the left side, there was a hotel. You had to drive off the road, into the drive of the hotel. Anyway, R&R was just outside the hotel entrance, to the left as you come out of the hotel drive way. It was named because of the owners Roland (Singaporean), and Rose (Filipina). They were fantastic people, for sure. 

I remember when Roland first started collecting fish, and aquariums. This was early in 2003 or so? Anyway, he ultimately ended up with some NICE salt water aquariums in the place. They were quite popular, because they served 24 hours per day. Taxi drivers loved the place. 

If anyone could drop by that area to let us know if they are still around, please do so. It would certainly mean a lot to me, as well. 

Oh, I remember back when JJ and I were together. We could eat a complete meal, with a liter of soft drink, for less than Php 100. 

I`ll have a look tomorrow and take a few pictures.  From your description I know where it is. There is , what looks like being a big saltwater fishtank inside at the back wall by the cr.

Would that hotel you mentioned  be Crown Regency? Just past Fooda supermarket on opposite side of the road.

• Like 1

Paul

Exactly. It wasn't always Crown. Before, it was a sleezy, short time hotel with theme rooms. I don't recall the name back then. But, yes, that is the place. Open air carendaria. If you haven't eaten there, DEFINITELY give 'em a try. Photos would be GREATLY appreciated. Perhaps one of Roland and Rose. You can ask him if he remembers Paul and JJ, who used to live in the area, back in 2003, I think.

HTM

Its still there!

HTM

post-2957-0-52605100-1384694111_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

MattFromGA

I remember Rose telling me every year they had to get approval from the school next door to keep selling beer.  I was thinking that at any moment the school would decide they want them out and tell them no with the beer, which would close them down.

Paul

Thanks, Harry. 

Matt, I remember when that building was a dilapidated old piece of rubble, which I really thought should be demolished.

KeithAngel

It was the second place me and the missus ate and in 08-09 my first visit I met Paul there ( his suggestion)for the first time and then  I ate there nearly every night for 5 months walking distance from home

The problem they had in spring 2011 was twofold they wanted to buy from the barangay head but he wanted more than they would pay and during school hours they had to pour your beer into a non see through mug rather than a bottle with cool cosy at that time though they were refurbishing throughout so were pretty confident

Paul

Yeah, Keith. I had forgotten that you lived just down the road from there when I met you. Sure 'nuf. God, I am starting to miss Roland and Rose. :)

I'm also starting to miss some really good times we had at that little 24 hours carenderia.

Kodiak570

Matt I have been there about 4 times over the past month. It's still open & still serving beer. Haven't been since Yolanda though.

Please don't touch the aquarium (even though its empty now) is still on the big fish tank. I think prices may have gone up maybe P5 on SMB IIRC.

Hy H

Exactly. It wasn't always Crown. Before, it was a sleezy, short time hotel with theme rooms. I don't recall the name back then. But, yes, that is the place. Open air carendaria. If you haven't eaten there, DEFINITELY give 'em a try. Photos would be GREATLY appreciated. Perhaps one of Roland and Rose. You can ask him if he remembers Paul and JJ, who used to live in the area, back in 2003, I think.

R&R Carenderia. 

Been there quite few times with missus  for lunch as we live only around the corner. I like the curried chicken there. Prices are ok but the meal is really a bit of a snack size.

Had a chat with fat cashier there who does not get up much from her perch. She told place still owned by Roland n Rose. They were home upstairs at time me was there, but by look on her face there was no way she would make it upstairs to get them.

Cashier told place now primarily called Roseland after owners names but they also still use old r&r apparently.

I remember looking at the fish in tank few months ago. For a past month or so it has been empty, so I ask her about the tank.

She told me it is a bit of a secret and not to tell Roland. After earthquake last month some staff had changed water and filled tank with not so healthy water and killed everything in it. The fish, corals, plants. The lot. By her words only thing Mr R knows about it is that they all just......... died.

Anyway, next time we go there and if owners are around I will ask about their memory of the past.

Here`s a couple fotos about the place to refresh your memories.

post-7853-0-18806300-1384761350_thumb.jpgpost-7853-0-36160700-1384761430_thumb.jpgpost-7853-0-08161000-1384761476_thumb.jpgpost-7853-0-44842200-1384761551_thumb.jpgpost-7853-0-54451700-1384761614_thumb.jpgpost-7853-0-78436500-1384761690_thumb.jpg

• Like 3