Stainless Steel Plumbing Question

SkyMan

Is it better to make connections with the regular Teflon tape or with the SS connection paste?  Or does it matter?

For water or DWV you can use pipe compound only. We even use it for gas also. Do use tape and compound if reassembling pipe. Only time I think it matters is real high pressure or corrosive liquids or gasses.

As long as it seals, what difference does it make?  Teflon is inert and doesn't react with anything.

SkyMan

Thanks, just wondering if one or the other makes a better seal or whatever.  Will need it to handle 70psi but might be spikes?

I would use teflon tape because i have found that the threads on most of the piping here is not uniform. most of joints wlll leak using compound.

I would use teflon tape because i have found that the threads on most of the piping here is not uniform. most of joints wlll leak using compound.

My experience also.  Teflon tape will handle any pressure you could conceivably experience with a water system.  Did you get your well dug?

70 psi is a little high for water pressure. Most where I work is coming from the main at around 70 to 100 but almost always stepped down to 45 with a regulator. Anything that high is just risking failure.

NPT. ( national pipe thread) is made different from bolt thread. Does not require extremely high torque like a bolt would need. The difference between tapes and compounds is that improperly installed tape can enter the system and will interfere with valves or any constriction down line. Compounds will not migrate from the source of usage.

SkyMan

Did you get your well dug?
Been trying to get on the driller's calendar for 2 weeks now.  He doesn't come home until 8 so he's busy and that to me is a good sign but I have ordered the pump and stuff so in a few days it will be going in a BBBox. 

70 psi is a little high for water pressure. Most where I work is coming from the main at around 70 to 100 but almost always stepped down to 45 with a regulator. Anything that high is just risking failure.
The pump system sets to 50-70 psi and comes set to 50.  That's probably quite fine for now.  Going from 0 to 50 will be awesome.  Just wanting to capable of maximum pressure.  Maybe someday we'll put some giant fountain in the front yard.  Hahahahaha

Most of what I'll need is in route from the US now so it will be US thread standards.

Sounds like your getting some thing done that your working on. It is good and hope it works. If you just started remember pressure and water volume are different things. You can get a 100 psi at the end of a paint sprayer at 3 gallons a hour. Or 3000 gals. a hour out of a 2 inch pipe at that pressure.

Recycle the water through the fountain as your not a Roman with a aquaduct!

What are you using there? Plastic or iron? Even in the PI they use NPT. It's the world standard in threaded pipe.

I would just watch real close. You know I see pipe in buildings here in the US that have been in use for 50+ years. In the Philippines, I don't know what makes the difference. I think the enviorment is much harder.

Water at demand is nice.

SkyMan

I'm putting in a deep well.  Probably over 200ft and hopefully less than 250ft.  Goulds pump, Centripro motor, 2HP, rated at 14.7 GPM at 220ft at 50psi (13.3 GPM @ 70 psi).  The pipe to the surface will be 1.25" HDPE 11-SDR pipe (bought locally) which is supposed to handle over 250psi and I calculate the pressure at the well depth at 150psi (170psi if I run the system at 70psi) so we're fine there at 50 PSI.  Then we go stainless through the pump controller bung and pressure tank manifold.  All of that in the pump house on the well head.  Then it goes to the pre-laid 3/4" Atlantic PVC to the house which should be plenty for our current use.

Recycle the water through the fountain as your not a Roman with a aquaduct!
Fine but I've got to fill the swimming pool somehow.  :)

Water at demand is nice.
My wife has that now.  "Honey, the drum's empty."

"Yes dear."

• Like 2

I hate teflon tape and never use it anymore (except for making hi fi interconnects)

I use horsehair and paste which never ever leaks.

having said that, as with many jobs (and certainly involving computers too) , the join can sense your level of confidence and if it sees you dont have enough will definitely decide to leak on you.

• Like 2

NPT. ( national pipe thread) is made different from bolt thread. Does not require extremely high torque like a bolt would need. The difference between tapes and compounds is that improperly installed tape can enter the system and will interfere with valves or any constriction down line. Compounds will not migrate from the source of usage.

i would havse said that 45 was still way more than you need.

back in civilisation the water often arrived at 70psi, but was the immediately reduced to 14 to protect the hot water installations.

thebob

Pipe thread is tapered, so be careful not to cut too many threads on to the pipe or it will bottom out in the fitting and not seal. Teflon tape or Boss white is actually a lubricant. It's job is to help tighten the uneven threads. Over tightening causes just as many leaks as under tightening. Once a joint has been over tightened it will always leak.

• Like 1
SkyMan

Since you mentioned thread cutting.  There's a HW store near me that has/had one of the Rigid pipe threading kits.  I've barrowed it before but the last time the owner said it was out.  Then a week later she said the ratcheting handle was broken so I talked her into letting me barrow just the 3/4 cutting head.  It had holes around it and a piece of square bar fit right in.  I think it was as easy to use it that way as with the ratchet head.  So if I eventually find myself doing a lot of that, I'll just buy the head.  I think they run around p5K.

thebob

Some places thread pipe for about 10 peso per thread. Librendo in Badian does on their super duper threading machine. There must be other places that do the same in the city.