Tech Headlines from the Boondocks

BossHog

So a while back our local elementary school got ten new desktop computers. The PTA had a meeting and we raised funds to erect a small computer lab, which got built and is a small hollowblock room but okay and has holes in the wall for a possible A/C unit. Basic computer use lessons were to follow but never did. Would have been a good thing as not one kid in town has a computer and almost none of them has ever touched one.

Well, this morning at 6 am I deliver my brush cutter to the school as they are borrowing it for grounds clean-up during sem-break. Had a peek into the new computer lab. Empty.

I asked the principal where the computers got to. The teachers have taken them home for "evaluation purposes". Heavy sigh.

The science teacher is notorious for playing a game called "Zuma" on her laptop during class time. All the class gathers around behind her desk and watches her play Zuma for an hour every class time. At least the kids get some exposure to computers.

####

Other tech news:

The Dell laptop I thought was mysteriously fixed after a one year rest went back to beeping and wouldn't start up again. Googled it and it seems the motherboard and CPU have a known connection failure on this particular model. Found two solutions. The first was to take out those parts and bake them in a very hot oven. Pass.

The other solution. Wrap the laptop up while turned on and beeping until it overheats, thus melting the flux glue enough to make a new seal.

Did it! Wrapped the laptop in towels and a heavy quilt, placed it all on an outdoor picnic table due to fire concerns and to get the annoying beeping sound out of the house. After fifteen minutes we unwrapped it, it was smokin' hot, and turned it off and let it cool down. Then it turned on and Windows started up no problems. College girl very happy as she's home on break and has already claimed the laptop as she's majoring in Facebook. 

Have a great weekend y'all.

• Like 4
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

sounds like they are teaching the next generation of teachers

• Like 1
Davaoeno

say what you want about the level of education here, but the basics are always taught !! I bet every student in the school knows who Anne Curtis and Wowwow Willie and Pakman are !!  

• Like 1
BossHog

Anne Curtis and Wowwow Willie and Pakman

Got me beat. Never heard of the first two.

• Like 1