Microsoft releases Windows 8.1 free upgrade

Microsoft released its long-awaited Windows 8.1 upgrade as a free download Thursday. It addresses some of the gripes people have had with Windows 8, the dramatically different operating system that attempts to bridge the divide between tablets and PCs. MORE.....

MarinePride

The upgrade is 3.2 gb in size. It took me over 5 hrs. from start to finish. I started the download and then we went grocery shopping ,ate at Greenwich and came home. It was still downloading when we got back. I did not have time to play with it yet.

The only way to get it is at the Microsoft store, the windows update process does not do it. That is a change I immediately noticed. I feel that Microsoft knows every single thing a person does on a windows 8 machine because of the way it is registered and logged onto.

I prefer Ubuntu because it is free and open source.

BossHog

"2.5-4.5 GB"

It should be downloaded and ready to install sometime between Christmas and New Year's.

• Like 1
MattFromGA

I prefer Ubuntu because it is free and open source.

I find it difficult to build windows software in Ubuntu, but otherwise its a nice platform to run firefox.

• Like 1
burnttoast

Microsoft chose the same release date as ubuntu 13.0, pretty obvious to see who they think is their competition.

Microsoft chose the same release date as ubuntu 13.0, pretty obvious to see who they think is their competition.

NRYS5.jpg

I doubt anyone at Microsoft was even paying attention to the latest Ubuntu release date.

Windows still has 90+% of the desktop market share, Ubuntu and the hundreds of other Linux distros all combined have less than 1.7%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

SkyMan

So it's news that an update is free?  Me thinks 7 is just fine for now.

• Like 1