Android TV

Just bought a Minix Neo X5 (4,500 pesos) for the house. Mainly this is for the gf for when I'm overseas working so we can do some chatting and will keep her somewhat entertained. I didn't want to drop the cash on a laptop for the house and then buy another for me while I was in Afghanistan.

Pretty cool little device and seems to do more than what the Apple TV does and provides a better picture. I bought an A4tech wireless mouse and keyboard (1,500) to go with it and they work very well. Forgot a web cam and tried to run the playstation move camera into it but didn't work (as expected).

Working out pretty good and the gf loves it. Comes with the Android basics (browser, media player, play store and other such apps a phone or tablet would have stock). It has a total 16gb storage. 3 USB ports, one micro USB port, SD card reader, and I believe a sim card reader. Has wifi, bluetooth and can run it as a wireless access point if you run the internet cable directly into it.

Some recommended apps I've added that I consider a must have for keeping the GF out of my hair for hours on end:

1. Open VPN (along with a hidemyass account for streaming online music from the US).

2. Pandora. (gotta search for the apk as not available on the play store here)

3. utorrents

4. Torrent movies

5. A music downloader (that I think is called music downloader)

6. Facebook

7. YouTube

8. Candy Crush

Working great so far, she has been out of my hair for 2 days straight now. It has some downsides but most wouldn't even notice them.

Posted Image

• Like 1

Sounds like a good candidate for my next XBMC based media player since there still isn't a jailbreak out for the Apple TV 3.

• Administrator
Salty Dog

Don't see how picture could be better than Apple TV. I have 1080p from my Apple TV and also from my Roku 3. You can access Pandora using Unblock-US and you won't loose speed like you do with a remote VPN. I have HMA and there is no comparison. It works for Netflix, Hula Plus, Amazon Instant Video and many more. It's also cheaper than HMA. I make the setting in my router so all my phones, computers and TV have same access to unblock-us.

Roku 3 takes over where Apple TV leaves off and has hundreds of apps that they call channels.

Roku-3-Interface-1.jpg

Don't see how picture could be better than Apple TV. I have 1080p from my Apple TV and also from my Roku 3.

He might have been thinking of the Apple TV 2 which was limited to 720p. I am currently using one with a jailbreak and XBMC installed to stream from a 2TB HD on my network.

Edited by T.S.
stevensanph

I am using a similar android tv box to this, from cdrking (2900peso I think).  Does pretty much everything you will need (internet, skype, wifi, bluetooth, play store etc etc).  Gets mainly used for a media player though as its UpnP and DLNA compatible so I can play files from my computer without the need for copying etc.  It will also play any file format ever invented...

Don't see how picture could be better than Apple TV. I have 1080p from my Apple TV and also from my Roku 3. You can access Pandora using Unblock-US and you won't loose speed like you do with a remote VPN. I have HMA and there is no comparison. It works for Netflix, Hula Plus, Amazon Instant Video and many more. It's also cheaper than HMA. I make the setting in my router so all my phones, computers and TV have same access to unblock-us.

Roku 3 takes over where Apple TV leaves off and has hundreds of apps that they call channels.

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif Roku-3-Interface-1.jpg

I was not aware of the new Apple tv. Sorry about that. Thanks for the tip on the unblock app but I just renewed my HMA account for a year. I prefer the HMA as I only use it to stream music and gain access to certain apps from my tablet. Don't even own a (working) computer.

I can turn the VPN on while I'm on mobile networks as well and still be able to stream music, this appears to be something the unblock us doesn't do. Don't watch TV and if I do I would rather pirate the show than pay Apple or Netflix for the privilege to watch it. Also once you get on the Pandora app I have found you can turn the VPN off once you start the music and it will continue to play.

Tonight I'm getting:

Download: 1.67 Mbps | Upload: 0.14 Mbps

With HMA-Hawaii:

Download: 0.97 Mbps | Upload: 0.05 Mbps

Sent from my NEO-X5 using Tapatalk 4

• Administrator
Salty Dog

I was not aware of the new Apple tv. Sorry about that. Thanks for the tip on the unblock app but I just renewed my HMA account for a year. I prefer the HMA as I only use it to stream music and gain access to certain apps from my tablet. Don't even own a (working) computer.

I can turn the VPN on while I'm on mobile networks as well and still be able to stream music, this appears to be something the unblock us doesn't do. Don't watch TV and if I do I would rather pirate the show than pay Apple or Netflix for the privilege to watch it. Also once you get on the Pandora app I have found you can turn the VPN off once you start the music and it will continue to play.

Tonight I'm getting:

Download: 1.67 Mbps | Upload: 0.14 Mbps

With HMA-Hawaii:

Download: 0.97 Mbps | Upload: 0.05 Mbps

Sent from my NEO-X5 using Tapatalk 4

Yea Unblock-us is more for streaming video sites. Like I said I also have HMA but just use it now to access sites Globe or the Philippines blocks. Some Youtube videos also require me to turn on HMA to watch them.  You can also turn HMA off after starting a movie on sites like Netflix as well, for more speed.

• Like 1