Another fatality in Matab-Ang (Toledo)

udonthani

I'm not saying it is false. I'm simply saying it has all the signs of an rban myth or egend - there is a lack of specific information there, no company employee (even disgrntled ex-employees) are ever been qoted directly on it, also it seems to be all over the place, not only in Ceb bt everywhere. Yo might have thoght that if it was tre, then why has nobody ever written an article abot it and qoting somebody who worked at Ceres before. Why is it only ever spoken of and not ever written in the press?

Brucewayne

So its cheaper to buy the driver's get out of jail free card or do taxi and jeepney owners just pay for the vehicles release? 

A funeral can be had for 10,000 Pesos and a lot of the time a driver who has killed can be kept out of jail by paying the "loved ones" around a million Pesos.

Considering that a lot of accident victims need long hospital stays and long term care, plus a settlement of 1 million plus, it is cheaper to just kill them and pay the family off.

Brucewayne

I'm not saying it is false. I'm simply saying it has all the signs of an rban myth or egend - there is a lack of specific information there, no company employee (even disgrntled ex-employees) are ever been qoted directly on it, also it seems to be all over the place, not only in Ceb bt everywhere. Yo might have thoght that if it was tre, then why has nobody ever written an article abot it and qoting somebody who worked at Ceres before. Why is it only ever spoken of and not ever written in the press?

This is the Philippines, people here are pretty closed mouthed against murderers, as they don't want the goon squad showing up with the intention of shutting their mouths permanently.

SomeRandomGuy

its like the arson around the settlers area's   everyone knows it is deliberate no one says a bloody thing about it though

The police are too weak to throw the book at the bus drivers and wreckless drivers who speed and race 

For offences take away their licences, fine them and the bus companies heavily 

udonthani

This is the Philippines, people here are pretty closed mouthed against murderers, as they don't want the goon squad showing up with the intention of shutting their mouths permanently.

I'm not buying that. If, as it would seem if you believed everything you hear, that just about every bus and taxi driver in the country is under instructions from their employers to willfully murder everybody that comes into contact with their vehicle in any accident, then a large number of people, thousands even, will have received these instructions. There would be a record of it somewhere, and some journalist somewhere would surely have picked up on it, and reported it. In today's world where almost everybody carries phone cameras and recording devices, then surely some actual evidence would have turned up, rather than just a bunch of peasant gossip which is basically all any of us are relying on when we repeat it.

yet they haven't. As far as I know, not even once has any news reporter ever mentioned it. Sure you might think that it is because they are scared, because they are afraid an irate bus company might get mad and get even.

but if you think about it, it is surely much likelier that the story is just for the most part at least, just a big pile of bullshit, and that there is nothing, or almost nothing, in it.

• Like 1
SomeRandomGuy

never heard one mention of the misuse of the pork barrel until the story was broken and that was going on for ten years...

There is a lot of things that go on in this country that goes unreported. Quiet a history of reporters ending up dead too....

For instance.. the campaign to report a fixer... well fixers are not hard to find... right?

U give way to much credit to free information whippy.... lets look to the states for instance... everyone has said for years we are all being spied on.. then a whistle blower finally comes out and say it.... everyone talked about it for years but finally there was proof and hence something to report on.

Mind u that said whistle blower is now being demonized as a traitor but hey that is the nature of the beast

• Like 5
Brucewayne

I'm not buying that. If, as it would seem if you believed everything you hear, that just about every bus and taxi driver in the country is under instructions from their employers to willfully murder everybody that comes into contact with their vehicle in any accident, then a large number of people, thousands even, will have received these instructions. There would be a record of it somewhere, and some journalist somewhere would surely have picked up on it, and reported it. In today's world where almost everybody carries phone cameras and recording devices, then surely some actual evidence would have turned up, rather than just a bunch of peasant gossip which is basically all any of us are relying on when we repeat it.

yet they haven't. As far as I know, not even once has any news reporter ever mentioned it. Sure you might think that it is because they are scared, because they are afraid an irate bus company might get mad and get even.

but if you think about it, it is surely much likelier that the story is just for the most part at least, just a big pile of bullshit, and that there is nothing, or almost nothing, in it.

Believe what you want, but those of us who actually live here know a bit about what goes on here.

Maybe not all, but quite a bit and you will also see that a lot of accidents are not reported in the papers when a wealthy local individual or bus company seems to be at fault.

SkyMan
...you know how many times I warn my missus about riding side saddle on a overloaded bike...can never get thru cos its cheaper

Why would it be cheaper?  She takes more of the seat that way.  I thought it was all about modesty because of wearing a skirt?  I saw my wife doing that once and told her no way so she wears pants or shorts, even under the skirt.  But she's not on Habelx2 very often.

Edited by SkyMan

No...what I meant was I tell her to take a taxi but she decides a jeep or motor...whatever is cheaper so she is saving.....im thinking more the safety aspect lol

• 2 weeks later...

Mrs has had what seems like a mild case of PTSD since the event.  She saw it all happen in graphic detail and the body twitching afterwards, someone she knew and had talked with many times.  She couldn't sleep for many nights afterward and was scared to be alone even for a few minutes.  It's funny we have watched all kinds of gore and graphic nastiness on TV but seeing it in real is completely different.

She collected the monies locals donated and delivered it to the family but was too scared to go inside and view the body, no matter how much the family tried to insist she should.  I don't know why they would still have an open casket considering the face was totally gone and had to be reconstructed from photos.  She is better now but continues to be very careful riding her bike, not wanting to go faster than 40.

Epilogue:

The driver, who did a runner immediately after the event, gave himself up to Toledo police and was in a cell until the truck owner paid the required money to the family.  He was picked up from the jail by another employee of the truck owner, a "technician" who didn't have a drivers licence. On the way home the truck hit another motorbike killing a small child.  The technician was the driver in this case.  However the truck owner got there before the police and persuaded the original driver to take the rap so as to avoid the truck being impounded which apparently would happen if the driver was unlicensed.  So the original driver was returned to jail where he currently remains.

Last week yet another large truck lost control going round a corner and slammed into a group of 6 sitting at the side of the road, killing 3.  All these and more have occurred on the same toledo - balamban road this year.  Funerals are held but nothing gets done to reduce the danger.

Citom is out in force every day harassing riders who aren't wearing helmets. (They don't care if the pillion passengers have helmets!) but none of the fatalities were the result of unhelmeted heads.

Mrs has had what seems like a mild case of PTSD since the event.  She saw it all happen in graphic detail and the body twitching afterwards, someone she knew and had talked with many times.  She couldn't sleep for many nights afterward and was scared to be alone even for a few minutes.  It's funny we have watched all kinds of gore and graphic nastiness on TV but seeing it in real is completely different.

She collected the monies locals donated and delivered it to the family but was too scared to go inside and view the body, no matter how much the family tried to insist she should.  I don't know why they would still have an open casket considering the face was totally gone and had to be reconstructed from photos.  She is better now but continues to be very careful riding her bike, not wanting to go faster than 40.

Epilogue:

The driver, who did a runner immediately after the event, gave himself up to Toledo police and was in a cell until the truck owner paid the required money to the family.  He was picked up from the jail by another employee of the truck owner, a "technician" who didn't have a drivers licence. On the way home the truck hit another motorbike killing a small child.  The technician was the driver in this case.  However the truck owner got there before the police and persuaded the original driver to take the rap so as to avoid the truck being impounded which apparently would happen if the driver was unlicensed.  So the original driver was returned to jail where he currently remains.

Last week yet another large truck lost control going round a corner and slammed into a group of 6 sitting at the side of the road, killing 3.  All these and more have occurred on the same toledo - balamban road this year.  Funerals are held but nothing gets done to reduce the danger.

Citom is out in force every day harassing riders who aren't wearing helmets. (They don't care if the pillion passengers have helmets!) but none of the fatalities were the result of unhelmeted heads.

How tragic ... I am really sorry your wife had to witness that ...She very well indeed might could speak with some sort of counselor to help her deal with the gruesome incident she witnessed.. and someone she knew at that.

Now I almost feel pity for the Original driver...  If that scenario was written into a drama.. everyone would dismiss it as being to overly dramatic and unrealistic.   I feel zero pity for the truck owner.  he should face the music for allowing an unlicensed driver take the wheel.

I am always amazed at the Pinoy habit of sitting at the edge of a highway ...mere feet from speeding traffic...at night. If folks had a some other public gathering places aside from highways and bridges it would be nice. 

am always amazed at the Pinoy habit of sitting at the edge of a highway ...mere feet from speeding traffic...at night

I know---idiots---right :banghead:  :banghead:

I think the same thing when I see European road races :fool:

CardiacKid

A funeral can be had for 10,000 Pesos and a lot of the time a driver who has killed can be kept out of jail by paying the "loved ones" around a million Pesos.
A million pesos is far too much. The payoffs I have heard about are more like 50,000 pesos. That is for poor people. I would guess that the price goes up if the departed is rich enough for the family to hire a lawyer. 
rainymike

Sorry for the incident.

But, it should be a lesson for expats here. I've come to believe that the real risks here are rather mundane events. The stuff that litters these forums about murderous wives and terrorists and climate change are legitimate concerns but far less likely to happen than incidents like these. 

Having said that, a lot of people who ride motorbikes here are really clueless or careless about road safety. When I used to ride I always stayed in my lane - and still had more than my share of close calls and accidents. Have seen more than one idiot speeding between cars and lanes or on the soft shoulders just asking to be sent to heaven or hell.

Edited by rainymike
  • Like 1