Another fatality in Matab-Ang (Toledo)

Last month, I paid my respects at a funeral for one of Mrs high school classmates, who bought the farm riding a motorbike into a tree.  Today Mrs was riding to the hardware when she saw another classmate lose a brief argument with a large truck.  He was attempting to overtake and somehow got too close, clipped the truck and ended up being run over.

His skull was crushed to the extent his face was completely flattened into the tarmac, with copious amounts off blood pouring from his ears.  I imagine he died instantly.  Mrs was understandably rather traumatized at having witnessed the whole thing. When she eventually continued it was at half normal speed.

The boys father, heard a girl was involved in a terrible accident and like many others, went to take a look.  That was when he discovered it was his son.  I don't feel sorry so much for the dead guy, he is gone and can no longer feel anything but it's such a tragedy for his parents, siblings, etc.

Most of barangay Matab-Ang is a residential and school area but there are no speed limits or police presence or anything really to discourage people taking insane risks. Large buses hurtle through town to and from Balamban at break neck speed.  Mrs told me that someone told her that the bus drivers are instructed as part of their company training, that if they hit someone, make sure they hit them hard enough to kill them.  It's much cheaper for the company that way.  Don't know if it's true or not.

I feel terribly sorry for the young man's family.  I'm glad I didn't see it, but if it had to happen, I'm kind of glad Mrs saw it.  I always worry every single time she goes anywhere.  Something like this will stay in her mind for a long time and hopefully make her more careful.

poby...you know how many times I warn my missus about riding side saddle on a overloaded bike...can never get thru cos its cheaper....n if an accident does happen.....it costs 100 times the amount a few pesos save....

you did,nt mess about with your graphic description of the victim ? you should get a job as a news reporter lol 

so what happened to the truck driver?  often in these situations it is the surviving vehicle driver that is automatically charged with negligent homicide or something similar.

udonthani

Mrs told me that someone told her that the bus drivers are instructed as part of their company training, that if they hit someone, make sure they hit them hard enough to kill them.

I really don't know whether this is an urban myth or not. I had a girlfriend in Tuburan whose dad is a bus driver however he didn't work for Ceres but for that other company with the non aircon buses. He used to park the bus in their yard every night and then just get in it in the morning and do the route back to Cebu - they have to go the long way over the Toledo-Naga road and can't take the Transcentral at Balamban. According to her, that is what Ceres bus drivers are instructed to do, but the other companies drivers are not. Of course just because she says that, doesn't mean it is true.

so what happened to the truck driver?  often in these situations it is the surviving vehicle driver that is automatically charged with negligent homicide or something similar.

Apparently he did a runner.  I doubt it was his fault but the deceased was a local boy and with lots of friends and relatives standing around wailing and emotions running high I can sort of understand why he thought it better not to hang around.

If it's not his fault and he's not a foreigner, the police have no reason to charge him.

Brucewayne

My wife has a cousin who drives for one of the big bus companies and he swears that all of the drivers are told that if they hit anyone, they are to back over them to make sure they are dead because funerals are cheaper than hospital bills.

If a hospital has to be paid the company supposedly has a policy to fire the driver who hit the injured person.

udonthani

I am not convinced of the veracity of it to be honest. It is like too many people, go on about it. And it is never an actual bus driver that says that it is true. It is always like a cousin or a friend or something. Even that bus driver I knew said that the company he worked for didn't have it as a policy. Just Ceres.

senseless

As far as I'm concerned there are 90 million people in this country who have no business being behind a wheel or vehicle of any kind, and that includes shopping carts, airplanes and boats.

The men all act like they are god's gift to man whenever they mount a motorcycle. The women have no real training though typically don't drive as erratically. Saw a woman run into the side of a building once, no cars, nothing in her way, she just ran into a building. The bus and truck drivers all act like they're above the law. Saw a truck driver speed up to run over a bunch of puppies once.

Further, those bus, truck and taxi drivers treat methamphetamine use like it's caffeine pills or something. After years and years of meth use their mind becomes more warped than it was to begin with.

Edited by senseless
  • Like 1
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

As far as I'm concerned there are 90 million people in this country who have no business being behind a wheel or vehicle of any kind, and that includes shopping carts.

sadly here too

First, the myth - is not a myth. 

Second, I cannot count the numbers of times I have been riding in a bus, for example, and watch a motorbike come along side (in the oncoming lane),, and cut in at the very, VERY last moment, just before impacting a huge truck or another bus in that same lane. 

Unfortunately, life has little to no value in the Philippines. 

More unfortunate news is, that pretty well applies every where I have been in Southeast Asia.

• Like 1

Mrs told me that someone told her that the bus drivers are instructed as part of their company training, that if they hit someone, make sure they hit them hard enough to kill them.

I really don't know whether this is an urban myth or not. I had a girlfriend in Tuburan whose dad is a bus driver however he didn't work for Ceres but for that other company with the non aircon buses. He used to park the bus in their yard every night and then just get in it in the morning and do the route back to Cebu - they have to go the long way over the Toledo-Naga road and can't take the Transcentral at Balamban. According to her, that is what Ceres bus drivers are instructed to do, but the other companies drivers are not. Of course just because she says that, doesn't mean it is true.

That same story is circulating around Dumaguete, about the Ceres bus drivers.  Knowing this Country as I do, it would not surprise me if it was true :cool:

SomeRandomGuy

Mrs told me that someone told her that the bus drivers are instructed as part of their company training, that if they hit someone, make sure they hit them hard enough to kill them. It's much cheaper for the company that way.

I do not want to drop any names or anything to get anyone into trouble so I will be as vague as possible... There was a guy that had bought a shit load of taxi's in the city and he had to tell his drivers this exact thing.... and it bothered him enough he was letting it out one night when we were on the beers.

SO to just to agree with paul and a few other people... yes this is a real thing

For Real

I do not want to drop any names or anything to get anyone into trouble so I will be as vague as possible... There was a guy that had bought a shit load of taxi's in the city and he had to tell his drivers this exact thing.... and it bothered him enough he was letting it out one night when we were on the beers.

SO to just to agree with paul and a few other people... yes this is a real thing

So its cheaper to buy the driver's get out of jail free card or do taxi and jeepney owners just pay for the vehicles release? 

SomeRandomGuy

buses that they also pay more for fast drivers.

i am pretty sure they are on a quota     don't take that as gospel but it is what I have heard

no idea just telling u what I have heard from very reliable resources