Don't forget about Typhoid Fever

Typhoid fever is actually common in parts of Phil, but the locals mostly don't react to it as bad as westerners do, and so they don't warn you about it, or even know about it. You get it from eating street food usually. It can be compared with a very bad case of flue, and you never fully recover. You will remain a carrier forever. People do still die from it.

Treatment will eventually help but you will still suffer through it until it works its way out. Expect initial symptoms of migraine headache, chills and shaking accompanied by sweating and fever. Then 2-3 weeks more of explosive diarrhea, headache, lack of energy, aches and nausea. Your anus may never be the same. Seriously. You may not be able to hold anything down, including water, a condition which may require a intravenous drip to keep you alive. Google how long dehydration takes to kill you...  

The shot works sometimes. Maybe its worth the 80 dollars it costs. Expect 50% success for one year. 

Majorsco

My son had typhoid 3 years ago after moving here from the US. He spent almost a week in the hospital and has completely recovered with no problems.

Typhoid is also commonly resulting from water contamination. He was 4 at the time and only drank bottled water. No one else in the family got sick and we have no idea where it came from. Typhoid usually gets many people sick, not just one. It can only be confirmed by blood test, not by only symptomology.

Jack_be_nimble

Always a good idea to get your shots before coming here. Visit your doctor, or visit a travel clinic at least two months prior to travel.

• Like 1
Britishandproud

Yeah I had to have the shot before visiting phils.

Guess I've been lucky for the past 10 years. I haven't had a single shot (minus Anthrax for Afghanistan) before going to a third world country. Never had any issues and have met very few people who have had issues with something that could be prevented from a shot.

Sent from my NEO-X5 using Tapatalk 4