VGA to HDMI

im going mad about this problem 

my 2 laptops only have a svideo and vga 

my tv only has a hdmi [seen a lot of tv here in ph with out vga but not sure why is it like that ]

i got 2 cables already [300p each ] and it is not working 

now i know hdmi on my tv works and vga on the laptops also works 

just cant get it to connect it with these cables and  i got  no idea what else to do 

but i need to connect my tv to the laptop 

i got tired of the satellite so the tv just sits on shelf collecting dust while i have to watch movies and play games on a little laptop screen :(

could any one help me with this 

if there is a cable i will be more than happy to  pay for the shipping here and the cable of course as long as it works 

im loosing it 

well that happened while back lol

thank you :)

i might add cdr king supposedly has a cable that would do it but never in stock here :(

well i know why my laptop dont have hdmi 

i did watch the video before and was trying to get it made here but it would be easier for me to swim to usa and get it there 

there must be a cable or what not 

also what about vga to video plug in [not sure whats that called]

they sell cables but just dont work i have a feeling those cables are build the other way to plug in the hdmi to pc and wga to laptop 

i did little more looking in to it and so far it looks that the only way is converter as all the cables on the market are build to work other way around 

in states they have some converter vga to av but not sure if that will work so 2000p converter is the only way :(

how is it they always find a way to get more money from you 

in states i have never seen a tv with out vga but here even the expensive once dont have vga 

Because VGA is a very outdated interface

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Graphics_Array

Video Graphics Array (VGA) refers specifically to the display hardware first introduced with the IBM PS/2 line of computers in 1987

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

First VGA is analog and HDMI is digital. A plug/cable can't fix that unless your video card supports digital signal output through VGA port function. Even then the format may not match that of the TV.

My Video card has an HDMI output function and it's 4-5 years old. However It does not have an HDMI port. It has a VGA and digital (DVI) port. If yours has an HDMI output function, than the conversion is being done by software/hardware and a cable should work. On mine this has to be selected in the video card control panel. It's not normally turned on. Being a laptop, your video is on your motherboard, so it is probably much more limited in it's functions.

There are external converters that you can get.

vga_hdmi_front_back.jpg
Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 1

I ran the HDMI from my desk top to the Tv and it has no effect at all

I use the vga instead and it is fine  Maybe outdated but at least it works

well my laptop is old but my gf's is only 2 years and it dont have hdmi [its the notebook type little with out dvd ]

i used to in states connect my laptop to tv via hdmi or vga and might have even use svideo few times and it worked 

than i come here and no love 

ok so how about svideo to rca  than 

bestbuy has this svideo to rca [im pretty sure i used it before and it worked]

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/value-series-bi-directional-s-video-to-rca-coaxial-cable-black/1304815031.p?id=mp1304815031&skuId=1304815031&st=svideo%20to%20rca&cp=1&lp=5#tab=overview

but again in ph no one even ever seen svideo connection :( 

My understanding (which isnt big) is that HDMI = DVi + SP-DIF multiplexed on a single cable.

so u have a digital to analog convesrion to do, plus appropraite de multiplexing to do.

just buy a raspberry pi instead

• Like 1

Don't forget that these sockets are video only, no sound.

KonC

just buy a raspberry pi instead

These cute little cards would have been great if you could have bought one when they were first announced.

These days, you can buy a tablet or even a phone that far out performs the Pi.

Great hobby board but for hobby use the Arduino has way more add on cards in the market.though

KonC

• Like 1

These cute little cards would have been great if you could have bought one when they were first announced.

These days, you can buy a tablet or even a phone that far out performs the Pi.

Great hobby board but for hobby use the Arduino has way more add on cards in the market.though

KonC

Well Im still churning ideasover in my head, but my thinking is that you canvert a dumb TV to a smart TV by adding on a PI which at £25 is much cheaper than the difference in TV price.

and i suspect that streaming sites which wont work to a smart TV would work with a Pi so its all round gain.

can yoo really get a tablet for the same price? with USB/ethernet/spdif and an 1080 hdmi? runinng xbmc?

if im barking up the wrong tree dont hesitate to tell me?

can yoo really get a tablet for the same price?

I said "These days, you can buy a tablet or even a phone that far out performs the Pi".

No mention of price.

But.......

About 3,500 pesos here will buy you a 7" tablet with USB, HDMI SD slot Android 4 etc.

Dearer than a Pi but you can't take a Pi with you to the airport so you can read an ebook or watch a video or send an email.

Add to that the fact that a tablet is stand alone, Keyboard, mouse, screen and  power supply.

My son had a Pi which clapped out after a year or so and I bought him a tablet. He now confirms the tablet is far more versatile than his old Pi.

But that said, they are a great 'tinkerers' kit.

Here's a neat little 7" tablet for instance. Delivered door to door in the RP for free by LBC

post-4822-0-03522200-1381805663_thumb.jpg

KonC

Edited by KennyF