Does Anybody Know Number of Murders Annually in Cebu?

cebubird

cebubird

I wILL try posting this a different way to see if anyone knows approximately how many murders are committed annually in Cebu.

Just from reading the paper/s every day, it seems it must be more than 1000 per year, which is a LOT considering the population.

InternetTough

http://www.interaksyon.com/article/28379/cebu-city-has-highest-crime-rate-in-central-visayas---police

728x90-WDIB-PEX-IA.jpg
interaksyonweather219.jpg

Cebu City has highest crime rate in Central Visayas - police By: Philippine News Agency
April 1, 2012 7:50 PM
fb_share_article.jpg 

InterAksyon.com
The online news portal of TV5

CEBU CITY – The Police Regional office (PRO) 7’s crime statistics showed that Cebu City posted the highest number of crimes in Central Visayas with 1,137 cases in the past two months.

But Senior Supt. Mariano Natuel, chief of the Regional Investigation and Detective Management Division (RIDMD), said the number showed a drop of 139 cases in the region compared to the same period last year that had 1,276 cases.

Based on the current crime statistics, at least 18 crimes occurred in Cebu City every day.

Natuel said Cebu province followed Cebu City with 960 cases. But this was a drop of 222 cases from last year’s 1,182, he said.

He said Cebu City has the highest number of crimes because it has a bigger population and has more economic activities.

Bohol occupied the third spot with 518 cases. The province’s criminality rose by 74 cases from last year’s 444.

Negros Oriental ranked fourth with 471 cases. The province’s number of crimes fell by 203 compared to last year’s 674.

Lapu-Lapu City came next with 310. The city posted a decrease of 19 cases from last year’s 329.

The sixth spot belonged to Mandaue City, which had 290 cases. This was a decrease of 28 cases from last year’s 318.

Siquijor, the smallest province in the region, posted only 18 cases, which is a decrease of 24 incidents from last year’s 42.

The region recorded a total of 3,704 crimes in the last two months, 561 cases lower than last year’s 4,265.

Of the total cases, 2,525 incidents were considered index crimes and 1,179 were non-index.

Index crimes are those committed against persons and properties, while non-index crimes are violations of special laws, such as those on illegal drugs, gambling and loose firearms.

Theft, robbery, physical injuries, murder and carnapping remain the most commonly committed index crimes in the region.

From January to February this year, the region tallied the following index crimes; theft with 1,176 cases, robbery (608), physical injury (436), murder (106), and carnapping (91).

Last year, the following index crimes were recorded: theft with 1,344 cases, robbery (801), physical injury (604), murder cases (119) and carnapping (98).

There were 50 homicide cases compared to last year’s 58, and cattle rustling dropped to four cases from last year’s 12.

However, rape cases in the past two months rose to 50, , three incidents more than last year’s 47. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, in January and February of the last two years,  225 murders total, or 56.25 per month. 12 times 56.25 = 675 

Maybe 675 murders per year? Out of 866,171 people, that yields a murder rate of 77.29 per 100,000 per year.

That is higher than the present murder rates of Detroit and Flint, Michigan---54.6 and 62.0 per year. New Orleans is at 53.2 murders per year (per 100,000 of course).

Past murder rates in cities like Compton, California and the borough of the South Bronx  of New York City  exceeded Cebu City's present rate, however.

Maybe the rate fluctuates a lot with the seasons here, but I don't see why it should.

Edited by InternetTough
InternetTough

Greetings, inquirer!

I think that I answered your question. 

Response?

If you check out the PNP Police Regional Office for Cebu at ...  http://pnp-pro7.org/index.html and then locate your mouse pointer over the Public Relations tab it opens a drop down list which has Crime Statistics at the bottom of that list and will take you to a slide show that you can stop and then click through.

The statistics for 2011 and 2012 only cover the period January through to October of each year (?) and show 587 for 2011 and 514 for 2012.

Presumably 2013 figures for the corresponding period are released next month.

Also presumably the full year figures are probably produced in the Annual Report but I have found the PDF's and DOC versions of the reports impossible to download.

That compares to around 2 victims per 100,000 population for most states of Australia. Safety is one thing that is substantially lower for me in The Philippines.

Kabisay-an gid

The 225 murders in January/February of 2011-12 was for the entire Central Visayas region, not just Cebu City.

Central Visayas = Cebu, Bohol, Negros Oriental and Siquijor.

• Like 1
InternetTough

The 225 murders in January/February of 2011-12 was for the entire Central Visayas region, not just Cebu City.

Central Visayas = Cebu, Bohol, Negros Oriental and Siquijor.

Yes, indeed. I missed that. I stand corrected---and somewhat relieved!

Edited by InternetTough