Murders in Cebu

cebubird

cebubird

Maybe I am just not entering right search words, but I cannot find how many murders per year in Cebu. One of today's papers had article again about crime, but not number ofmurders.

Seems like from reading paper every day that there are about 3 per day, which of course would be more than a thousand per year. Of course I know that many more do not even make the paper.

This is even more than some of the ghetto murder centers in the US.

It also appears that the majority of murders here are simply somebody getting pissed over some trivial thing.

At any rate, the longer I stay, the more it reminds me of old west movies.

InternetTough

Soon after I moved here, there was a man who was murdered almost right in front of my house. I heard the whole thing, but didn't see it. Anyhow, it upset me, but I was glad to learn some 1 1/2 years later that the murdered man had welshed on a gambling debt, and was in the habit of doing so. I was glad to hear that that was the reason, and that it wasn't a "thrill kill" or some gang initiation or something else that I have little control over---even though he still didn't deserve to be murdered.

Keep in mind that the newspapers might always give a reason for a killing, but they might not know the full story right away and so might present weaker reasons for the murder based on what they presently know about the situation---the real reasons usually only becoming known over time.

Edited by InternetTough
Nangulo

Are you concerned for your own safety or just looking for stats?  

There is a difference between the murder rate (which is reported murders per capita) and the number of murders.  Murders don't necessarily have to be reported, so the reported murder rate may not be correct.  If you're only looking at stats, that is.