I am at a loss on how to handle

SomeRandomGuy

MarinePride

I think it all boils down to lack of manners and jealousy and it can happen in any country. I don't know if etiquette is taught in the local schools here, but I'll venture a guess it is not. Testosterone rules the lives of many men and it is no different here. The dongs have nothing to loose, but you could be deported for acting out of line here. The deck will always be stacked against you, the foreigner, it really will test you, but it's really mind over matter. Remember that you will be sleeping with her and giving her that good life, which is a rarity here for a lot of women.

My wife and I are only 2 years apart in age and our kids are 16 and 11. We get stared at every where and I could careless about it. Maybe it is a rare thing to see a nuclear family out and about?

• Like 3
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SomeRandomGuy

• smokey

• ILoveCyrus

• jtmwatchbiz

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Think about it for a second. Jealous men, screwed at birth by being born in third world country, short dick most likely, piss pot poor and will be for the rest of their life. White man like you comes

You know I think that is a major contributing factor to a lot of the frustrations many expats have when transplanting to the Philippines. Surrounding yourself with people you have practically nothing

This has happened to my wife on numerous occasions; more than once with me standing right next to her. I nearly got into a fight with a taxi driver that asked for her phone number while I was sitting

Posted Images

Skywalker

There is a huge amount of envy and jealously here.  And it's hardly surprising when you see the living conditions for many people.

I think if it's really getting under your skin, maybe that's the tip of the iceberg.  What you can not do, is start punching people who have a different outlook/culture/bullshit attitude than you do.  You will not win, ever.

Sorry to say this, but you either fit in, or you may not be right for living here.  It's tough, but as a foreigner, I see it as my job to adapt - not the other way around.

Edited by Skywalker
  • Like 8
bahalina buong

You know I think that is a major contributing factor to a lot of the frustrations many expats have when transplanting to the Philippines. Surrounding yourself with people you have practically nothing in common with, and expecting them to have the same value system that you do. Say you are an average guy from back home, had a career, house, car, enough surplus income beyond surviving to have hobbies, take vacations, buy toys etc. Would you really spend your time associating with someone who lives on $150 a month, and may not even generate that income themselves, but instead leaches it off of a relative working their ass off abroad? 

I have a lot of Filipino friends and acquaintances that I can relate to and have intelligent conversations with. Not only are they my 'equal' but some have far surpassed me in education, financial achievements etc.  These  are people have careers, education, interests outside of tanduay and cock fighting,  I also tend to have more in common with Filipinos who have lived and worked abroad.  Im not talking textbook OFWs but those who really integrated themselves into the society in a professional career such as a physician. Its not much different than people from my own country - I have a hard time talking about travel with people who have never left the country. 

I agree and it's damn hard to find locals down here to relate to.  And Leyte is even worse than Cebu.  I was much happier in Manila where people are doing things with their lives and not just wishing failure on others.

Good topic mate, I couldn't count the number of times I've said to groups of Asian blokes to "take a photo boys it will last longer". Just the other day we were sitting in a pub in Tagbilaran and two Filipinos next to us were craning their necks staring at my misses. I didn't notice as they were on the table behind me but as soon as I turned around and asked them "you ok boys?" they both dropped their heads and didn't so much as glance at us for the rest of the afternoon. My misses looks great but dresses decently and most blokes will have a look which is normal but it's the ones who won't stop staring that I take issue with.

We have travelled through a fair portion of Asia and the worst country for it IMO is Cambodia. The looks the blokes gave my girl made my skin crawl and was nothing short of optical rape. Our long running joke is that we must be aliens as wherever we go their is always some douchebag that just cannot stop staring. I'm 44 and my misses is 28, we are both tall and I've always sorta thought we look good together but maybe we do look like aliens lol. The worst ones for it here I've noticed are the older Filipinas, some of the full on stares they give her is extremely weird but again they will usually ignore us after asking them if they are ok.

Speak up mate, in a decent way. Don't allow these wankers to ruin you and your girls day. you will both feel much better afterwards if you do. 

• Like 5
bahalina buong

Good topic mate, I couldn't count the number of times I've said to groups of Asian blokes to "take a photo boys it will last longer". Just the other day we were sitting in a pub in Tagbilaran and two Filipinos next to us were craning their necks staring at my misses. I didn't notice as they were on the table behind me but as soon as I turned around and asked them "you ok boys?" they both dropped their heads and didn't so much as glance at us for the rest of the afternoon. My misses looks great but dresses decently and most blokes will have a look which is normal but it's the ones who won't stop staring that I take issue with.

We have travelled through a fair portion of Asia and the worst country for it IMO is Cambodia. The looks the blokes gave my girl made my skin crawl and was nothing short of optical rape. Our long running joke is that we must be aliens as wherever we go their is always some douchebag that just cannot stop staring. I'm 44 and my misses is 28, we are both tall and I've always sorta thought we look good together but maybe we do look like aliens lol. The worst ones for it here I've noticed are the older Filipinas, some of the full on stares they give her is extremely weird but again they will usually ignore us after asking them if they are ok.

Speak up mate, in a decent way. Don't allow these wankers to ruin you and your girls day. you will both feel much better afterwards if you do. 

Very good advice.  And I think It's all part of your wife or partner's education.  With the help of a foreigner, she is able to she Filipinos in a different light, and if she is smart she will realize that not every Filipino "is worth dying for".  But it does take a strong woman to be with a foreigner.  The weak, shy, timid ones suffer the most.

BUT....by the same token, this can happen back home whether its an age thing or not...if its you n a pretty lady walking alone you are sometimes targets for guys just trying to stir shit up...if its a very young lady you can bet most of the stares n rude comments come from people your own age...

• Like 1

Very good advice.  And I think It's all part of your wife or partner's education.  With the help of a foreigner, she is able to she Filipinos in a different light, and if she is smart she will realize that not every Filipino "is worth dying for".  But it does take a strong woman to be with a foreigner.  The weak, shy, timid ones suffer the most.

I agree mate, having an open mind and a bit of life experience also helps. Most do not get that chance here so are stuck in the provincial crab mentality attitude their whole lives. My girls mother supported her extended family for 15 years whilst overseas, then came home a few years ago to a court case by the family to take some of her land. They actually won and got a full hectare out of it. This incident really woke her mum up and in turn woke my misses up to what many people are really about here. Her mum is one of the decent ones and has worked hard her whole life, never expecting anything from anybody. My misses and her mum now look out for each other ONLY now and there are no brothers or sisters in the family. Makes life much easier.

for a lady there is only one thing worse than being looked at, and that is not being looked at.

I think it was Oscar Wilde.

• Like 5
ILoveCyrus

BUT....by the same token, this can happen back home whether its an age thing or not...if its you n a pretty lady walking alone you are sometimes targets for guys just trying to stir shit up...if its a very young lady you can bet most of the stares n rude comments come from people your own age...

It brings to mind the black dudes with white chicks in the US.  Better yet, a white dude with and Black chick......!!!  I knew a few of these couples.

smokey

Think about it for a second. Jealous men, screwed at birth by being born in third world country, short dick most likely, piss pot poor and will be for the rest of their life. White man like you comes in gets the prettiest women, has money to burn, even if you are normal your dick is probably twice the size of the little snatch that is talking shit.

You win just by existing.

a whole bunch of wanna be millionaires is what we are

smokey

half the girls bring it on themselves today i saw a girl with 5 or 6 inch heels in skin tight stretch pants.. camel toe glaring and hair almost blonde with a push up bra... shee i turned around to take a second look ..

• Like 3

Gotta ignore it. Dumaguete men are some of the worst/most resentful men I have ever ran across. But can you really blame them? Look at the scraps the majority are left with in Dumaguete after the foreigners/wealthy Filipinos take all the good stuff. I can understand their resentment towards foreigners here.

I always just give an arrogant smile that says "yeah, that's mine" and keep walking. (or you can point at them and then give your best monkey walk/impersonation or give some gestures that imply they have a short cock.....that might cause a fight though.)

The only time I have said something was at sarisari store at the end of my road where the little sh*theads like to drink and yell crap at my girl when we drive by. Once I was driving by and was tired of it, locked up the brakes, turned around and asked, "care to repeat that s*** in English?". Silence. No more comments when she is with me after that......although they continue the remarks when I'm out of earshot. I don't bother with the monkeys around town.

A_Simple_Man

Just a point to consider, when the guys stop ogling your partner it may be time to trade her off on a prettier one

:cool:

• Like 2
quit_yume

funny thing is..  here in the usa the stares and ugly comments come from middle aged women if you are with a young and attractive lady...   i have dated some beautiful young ladies here and frequently experienced some very ugly stares from those cows.  couple years ago i was in a store with my gf and she noticed the staring so she made of show of it by grabbing my ass and kissing my neck in front of them.   if looks could kill i would be so dead.

• Like 3