Another Laptop Problem

I have a problem, although not a serious one. 

I am running Windows 7, 64 bit on a Toshiba L510 Laptop. It is running 4 gigs of RAM, if that matters. I also run a Philips 24" monitor, connected to the laptop, in dual monitor mode.

Now, the issue. For some reason, when I set any background image(s), it does not show up. That is, I never see the images until the computer is in the process of shutting down.

Anyone have an idea as to why this is happening, please? Or, better, any way to fix it? 

OK, so need a bit more info.

1, how are you applying the images to the desktop,

2, do they show up after you apply them, then dissapear

3, if they are not showing up at all, what image is on the desktop instead of what you want,

4, do you have a theme installed.

seems as though something else is in comand of the desktop, maybe running in the background.

and it is being closed when the lappy is being shut down, thats why your picture shows just before it closes.

do a control alt delete, and check in task manager see if you can find something running you dont recognise

OK, so need a bit more info.

1, how are you applying the images to the desktop,

2, do they show up after you apply them, then dissapear

3, if they are not showing up at all, what image is on the desktop instead of what you want,

4, do you have a theme installed.

1. Right click on desktop, click on "Personalize". "Change the visuals and sounds on your computer" window opens. I have downloaded other Themes. I have downloaded a number of themes, including an "Unsaved Theme". 

2. They do not show up, even after changing to another theme. The only time the background shows up is when I am shutting the computer down.

3. No images are showing on the desktop. The desktop is just a black background, on both monitors.

4. Yes, as stated in my reply to question number 1. I have a number of them, probably a dozen - or couple dozen themes that I have downloaded. 

Is it possible to delete all these themes, or most of them? Maybe it is one of them that is causing the issues? 

About to try Ctrl, Alt, Del.

Edited by Paul

The only applications running are Chrome, the Control Panel, and Task Manager.

Here are the processes running: 

task_manager_01.jpg

task_manager_02.jpg

I have no idea what most of this stuff does. 

just found this online for ya,

1. Copy the following text, and then click Start and past the text into the search box and click the Enter key on the keyboard:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Themes\

2. Right-click the file that is named TranscodedWallpaper.jpg and then click Rename
  3. Rename the file to TranscodedWallpaper.old, (change .jpg to .old) and then click Yes when prompted
  4. If slideshow.ini listed, double-click this file. Slideshow.ini should open with Notepad. Select all the text in slideshow.ini if any exists and press Delete on the keyboard, and then click File and Save to save the changes.
  5. Close Notepad and close the Windows Explorer window and browse to the picture that will be set as the background imag
  6. right click the image and click "set as desktop background. this is the best way to apply wallpapers

see if that helps mate

let us know how you get on

Edited by philuk

just found this online for ya,

1. Copy the following text, and then click Start and past the text into the search box and click the Enter key on the keyboard:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Themes\

2. Right-click the file that is named TranscodedWallpaper.jpg and then click Rename
  3. Rename the file to TranscodedWallpaper.old, (change .jpg to .old) and then click Yes when prompted
  4. If slideshow.ini listed, double-click this file. Slideshow.ini should open with Notepad. Select all the text in slideshow.ini if any exists and press Delete on the keyboard, and then click File and Save to save the changes.
  5. Close Notepad and close the Windows Explorer window and browse to the picture that will be set as the background imag
  6. right click the image and click "set as desktop background. this is the best way to apply wallpapers

see if that helps mate

let us know how you get on

It doesn't give me the option to change the file extension. 

Okay. had to make some changes to change the file extension. working on it, as well as the .ini file now.

It doesn't give me the option to change the file extension. 

ok when the file come up in the search window right click on it, one up from the bottom of the list is open file location, click on that

that will show you the file, right click the file and click rename near the bottom of the list

we should have a pc hints and tips thread, just for solving problems like this,

after all, we are all relying on these hunks a junk.

• Like 1

Did both. Nothing. 

I can go to my themes and click on different ones. You can hear the sounds as they change, and the icons on the desktop change, it seems. But, nothing changes with the background. This is a pain in the ass. I will just go to sleep and try to work on it tomorrow. I have to leave in four hours for Phnom Penh. I will load this thread back up, if you - or anyone can come up with an idea - short of my shooting this piece of shite. 

Thanks for your help, Phil. 

your welcome mate, will keep looking post it on here if i come up with anything

some site are sugesting cc cleaner and reg cure, but for feck sake stay well away from them, they are worse than a virus

found this on you tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiEs8Kf9BEo

if this is your problem mate, this was the solution below in the coments

solution!! :Start Menu -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Ease of Access -> Ease of Access Center

Once the dialoge box opens click "Make the computer easier to see" Scroll down and uncheck the box by "Remove background images (where availible)" Hit "Apply" then "Ok" and then on your keyboard hit "Alt + F4" you may have to log out and log back in before it takes affect

Edited by philuk
  • Like 1

Now, the issue. For some reason, when I set any background image(s), it does not show up. That is, I never see the images until the computer is in the process of shutting down.

Did it ever work?

he's off on his jollies today, maybe later we find out

• Like 1