Laptop problem

SkyMan

The screen on my wife's laptop went out.  Just goes white with some grey vertical lines on the right side.  I can attach a monitor to the graphic output on the side and it works no problem.  So I'm leaning towards the screen but it still could be the graphics card.  Any way to troubleshoot to determine which is the problem?

It is most likely the display panel

I do not think it is the inverter, the inverter gives high tension to the back light

and as there are vertical gray line indicating  light is working.

If you do not know any other place to take it, try NUTECH  at e-mall,

oppesit corner of CDR-King

Edited by Woolf

most likely it is the monitor screen 

now its up to how old and what shape is the laptop in but it might be better value for your money to get a new one 

not saying cheaper 

or just plug in external and problem solved 

Does the display change when you move the cover around or tap on things?

There is most likely (make/model?)  a cable that runs from the main board to the display that can get pinched or break from continual flexing.

There is probably no separate video card in a laptop, most incorporate as much as possible into the main board for real estate reasons.

Preventive maintenance hint: laptops are prone to damage from hinges loosening and torqing things and from airways getting clogged and resulting in overheating.

If it's old enought for the screen to go out it probably makes more sense to put repair money toward a new one.

SkyMan
It is most likely the display panel I do not think it is the inverter, the inverter gives high tension to the back light and as there are vertical gray line indicating light is working.

It's mostly white with grey verticals on the right.  They don't move or anything like it's trying to display something.

If you do not know any other place to take it, try NUTECH at e-mall, oppesit corner of CDR-King

I can take it to the place on Gorordo that replaced the HDD under warranty but they order replacement parts from Toshiba and it takes a couple months.  If it's the screen I can get a new one from Amazon in a couple weeks $75 but would rather not do that and then find out I need something else. 

now its up to how old and what shape is the laptop in but it might be better value for your money to get a new one not saying cheaper

It's about 2 years old and still on the charts as far as state of the art goes.  17.3" screen i7 1TB HDD. 

or just plug in external and problem solved

Yeah, but then it's a desk top.

Does the display change when you move the cover around or tap on things?

Nothing.

There is most likely (make/model?) a cable that runs from the main board to the display that can get pinched or break from continual flexing.

Toshiba Satellite P775 S7215. Cable looks fine.

Edited by SkyMan
SkyMan

There is probably no separate video card in a laptop, most incorporate as much as possible into the main board for real estate reasons.
I searched for a GCard and since I can't find one, you're probably right.  I'll order the screen and pray.
  • 1 month later...
SkyMan

I ordered a new LCD panel about a month ago after that last post ^^^^. Amazon had it but not directly. About 7 companies were selling it through Amazon and 3 of them would ship overseas. Two of them were a bit outrageous on shipping so I went with the third. It was supposed to arrive here before the 14th. There was next to no tracking info and in one place it said they used DHL and in another UPS. When the 14th I started calling the local DHL and UPS numbers but the tracking number I had didn't match either of their formats so I emailed the company. They said it went DHL from California to the hub in Germany and then to the RP on 6 November where it was turned over to Philpost. Aaaaargh, why would you turn it over to Philpost when there are DHL offices in Cebu? Yesterday I got a package notice and picked it up for p50 customs fee. The box was a little abused and when I went to open it I noticed the FRAGILE labels sealing the box were broken with one piece of tape closing it. Hmmmmmmmmmm The panel looked ok though so I installed it and booted the laptop up:

post-940-0-51106700-1385102206_thumb.jpg

It's very interesting to look at and I might be able to sell it to an art dealer but it really doesn't cut it as a laptop screen. Here's the box:

post-940-0-63834100-1385102396_thumb.jpg

post-940-0-09374600-1385102413_thumb.jpg

So I emailed the company back and they sent me a claim form to fill out but now it's back to square one. The only bright side is that I now do know the screen is the problem.

• Administrator
Salty Dog

Is it cheaper buying one from Amazon with the shipment charges than it is to buy one here?

Edited by Salty Dog
Skywalker

This happened to my nieces macbook.  Apple wanted a HOOJ amount to fix it, so I just got a local guy to put in a new screen (from Hong Kong apparently).

Works great and I think it was about 6000 pesos all in.

• Like 1
SkyMan

Is it cheaper buying one from Amazon with the shipment charges than it is to buy one here?

Cost from Amazon is about p3K. But I'd find it very unlikely to find a replacement screen here as there are very few 17" laptops here. They'd likely have to order the screen like I did and add on their own costs. I can put the panel in myself if one gets here that works.

Apple wanted a HOOJ amount to fix it,

They've got pay for those HOOJLY expensive training classes somehow. My sister's an apple fan and when she told me what she'd paid for her last one my jaw hit the floor. Then she told me the labor charge to add some RAM. Outrageous!