Want to confirm - no departure tax if less than 1 year?

Rocketman

I read this on another thread today but I wanted to confirm it.  If I was out of the Philippines less than a year ago, I am not required to pay the departure tax (or whatever it's called).  I tried to find it in the BOI site, but couldn't.

Grey_O_Wolf

Interestingly enough, I find clearly stamped on my Passport:

"IMPORTANT: YOU ARE REQUIRED TO SECURE EXIT CLEARANCE CERTIFICATE (ECC) IF YOU STAY BEYOND 6 MONTHS BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE COUNTRY"

That may be the 'Departure Tax" but it seems to kick in after 6 months. Perhaps they have something else after 1 year, but I just renewed my visitors Visa after being here 1 year now and no additional fees yet.

I guess they will get me when I have to leave in February! ;-) Anyone have any idea how much that fee/tax/certificate will cost?

Headshot

I, too, thought it was six months when the tax kicks in. Also, if you get a permanent residency visa, such as a 13A or a 9A, then you pay the tax regardless of how long you have been in-country since your last entry.

• Administrator
Salty Dog
TRAVEL TAX

The Travel Tax is a levy imposed by the Philippine Government on persons who are leaving the country regardless of the country where the air ticket is issued and the form or place of payment, as provided for by Presidential Decree (PD) 1183, as amended. The Travel Tax must be paid by:

•  Citizens of the Philippines;

•  Foreigners holding a permanent resident visa Sec. 13 Quota or Preference Immigrant Visa

•  Foreign tourists or expatriates who have stayed in the Philippines for more than one (1) year.

I read this on another thread today but I wanted to confirm it.  If I was out of the Philippines less than a year ago, I am not required to pay the departure tax (or whatever it's called).  I tried to find it in the BOI site, but couldn't.

read this post and the one following

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/49106-exit-visa/?

A_Simple_Man

I have been in Phils for 16 months.  I am at Clark Airport waiting for my flight.  I was not asked to pay the 1600+ travel tax that I have ALWAYS been asked to pay before when staying in Phils as tourist for more than 12 months.  Change in policy or oversight?  I'm not gonna ask them, you ask them.  Your mileage will vary anyway.

I have never been asked to pay travel tax when leaving Phils after staying less than 12 months but see my last sentence.  How often have I done it?  I have lost count.  Many times.

I have been in Phils for 16 months.  I am at Clark Airport waiting for my flight.  I was not asked to pay the 1600+ travel tax that I have ALWAYS been asked to pay before when staying in Phils as tourist for more than 12 months.  Change in policy or oversight?  I'm not gonna ask them, you ask them.  Your mileage will vary anyway.

I have never been asked to pay travel tax when leaving Phils after staying less than 12 months but see my last sentence.  How often have I done it?  I have lost count.  Many times.

Maybe the travel tax was included in your ticket price  ??

SkyMan

Exit clearance p750 over 6 months.  Travel tax p1620 over 1 year.

I too have never been asked to pay it though I had to pay it for my wife.  I cannot say if it was included in the ticket price but I paid with miles.

A_Simple_Man

As the ticket price was only 1900 and the travel tax is 1620 I can say with confidence it is not.

Headshot

Yeah...if you are flying with Philippine Air or Cebu Pacific, the tax is included in your ticket. If not, they nail you at the airport.

• Like 1
Davaoeno

I LEFT  a couple of weeks ago- and was not asked to pay the 1600+.  It was over a year since I last arrived.  I can see no mention of it on my plane ticket.  I was however asked to pay the terminal fee

• Admin (Retired)
broden

I LEFT  a couple of weeks ago- and was not asked to pay the 1600+.  It was over a year since I last arrived.  I can see no mention of it on my plane ticket.  I was however asked to pay the terminal fee

for you, they are going to make leaving as easy as possible.

• Like 1
Canuck Joe

I have 13a pr and get dinged hard at the airport every time I leave. First time was a shock(and a piss off) but I just happend to have php cash.

They really really need to put an ATM at the customs processing area for the ransom tax/bail fee. People freak out, women cry.. not knowing where they are going to get the cash, worried about missing thier flight.