New Dress Code for BI

Lordblacknail

Wow hyaku if you wear shorts in town your a bum? Glad I don't work for you or live in a place where your the boss.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Skywalker

• easy44

• SkyMan

• GoHuk

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A very sad day for good manners and common courtesy.  One day, every 2 months, you can dress up a bit, look less like a beach bum, and present yourself as a good example of a responsible foreign membe

A very sad day for the rental pants guy.

so according to you i,m a beech bum and irresponsible member of the public because I choose to wear shorts t-shirt and flip flops really ? well i,m cringing at your hoity toity comment so because you

money has everything to do with it as you well know many people with money look down on people without money thats why you call them type beach bums .your comment was not tongue and cheek you made a matter of fact statement of how you judge people on what attire they wear.

The unshaven bum on the beach is usually a company director. But he shaves and puts on a pair of jeans and pumps to go to town. Relief shops everywhere here if your not panda size. Its called respectabity!

Wow hyaku if you wear shorts in town your a bum? Glad I don't work for you or live in a place where your the boss.

Sorry towns the wrong word. My towns a shithole especially the market. Have to dress down. I meant city. I wouldn't call jeans and a shirt 'dressing up'. Left a closet full of suits and ties when I moved here. Edited by hyaku

I side with Skywalker in this debate. A modicum of respect is due and should be shown. A pair of lightweight slacks (pants) and a loose fitting short sleeved shirt are no hardship to wear in a hot climate. (If you find otherwise then go and have a test for diabetes, quickly!) If the CEO wishes to don 'beach bum' clothes on the beach, fair enough as it's acceptable there on the beach; the CEO would never wear that outfit to a meeting with his bankers or whatever.

Also it's nothing to do with money. For those who say it is: are you so poor you cannot afford anything but tank tops and shorts? In the Philippines, one of the garment centres of the world?

Edited by GoHuk
  • Like 2
easy44

It's not a money thing, it's a culture thing.  You will notice, the ones advocating dressing up are Brits.  Americans would rather be comfortable than to dress to impress, unless maybe they're from New York or Chicago.  When I was living and working in Hawaii my bosses were all from Chicago.  Aloha shirts are standard business wear there, but they would show up in a coat and tie and insist on wearing them, at least for one day until they started feeling out of place.  They felt insecure without their uniform.

Edited by easy44
  • Like 1

It's not a money thing, it's a culture thing.  You will notice, the ones advocating dressing up are Brits.  Americans would rather be comfortable than to dress to impress, unless maybe they're from New York or Chicago.  When I was living and working in Hawaii my bosses were all from Chicago.  Aloha shirts are standard business wear there, but they would show up in a coat and tie and insist on wearing them, at least for one day until they started feeling out of place.  They felt insecure without their uniform.

We're not exactly propounding dressing up or for that matter trying to impress, and it's certainly not about insecurity. Following your anecdote, the next time you are in a Filipino bank or restaurant or wherever, just look around and see how the locals dress.  The last time I went to my BPI branch I was the only male wearing shorts.  I think the least we can do is match their sense of decorum.

Edited by GoHuk
thebob

IF THE CAP FITS, WEAR IT!

Sorry caps not allowed.

It's OK if they are religious caps, so I'm thinking that home team caps might be OK for some people.

Are kilts a grey area?

well i,m a brit and I for one don,t advocate dressing up .I wear what I feel comfortable in climate permitting .I have never been a shirt and tie man .The only time i,ll dress up is weddings and funerals lol

• Like 1

Are kilts a grey area?

No, they're usually quite colourful.  But now that would be really naughty; any Scot willing to attend the BI in a kilt?

Half Baked

I believe one's willingness to wear appropriate clothing to an official office is, or should be, proportionate to the distance one has to travel to go back home and change clothes. Travel 50kms, wear a suit.... live next door, try a toga. :/

Edited by Half Baked