New Dress Code for BI

CardiacKid

https://m.facebook.com/officialbureauofimmigration?id=133424753462907&refsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fofficialbureauofimmigration The dress code policy has changed. See the link above for the new acceptable attire. Sorry, couldn't copy and paste. Might not be a bad idea to have a copy of that if going to Immigration soon. This was posted in a Yahoo Group. 

Edited by CardiacKid
  • Like 1
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Skywalker

• easy44

• SkyMan

• GoHuk

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A very sad day for good manners and common courtesy.  One day, every 2 months, you can dress up a bit, look less like a beach bum, and present yourself as a good example of a responsible foreign membe

A very sad day for the rental pants guy.

so according to you i,m a beech bum and irresponsible member of the public because I choose to wear shorts t-shirt and flip flops really ? well i,m cringing at your hoity toity comment so because you

SkyMan

276651_133424753462907_521379011_q.jpgBureau of Immigration, Republic of the Philippines

Yesterday at 3:51pm · 5SYOjS874Mk.png

NEW DRESS CODE POLICY

Administrative Circular No. SBM-2013-007 was issued on 01 October 2013 revising the policy on dress code imposed on clients transacting or with official business in the Bureau of Immigration (BI). Policy amendments were made to maximize and accommodate visitors and foreign nationals with legitimate dealings with the BI as well as the consideration of the tropical weather in... Continue Reading
1375073_307277319410982_1357046895_n.jpg

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1
easy44

It looks like shorts, tee shirts and slippers are now OK.  About time they did away with the phony dress code.

• Like 1
BossHog

Do you guys reckon people were showing up at immigration in their bare feet??!!

On second thought: dumb question.

Edited by BossHog
Skywalker

A very sad day for good manners and common courtesy.  One day, every 2 months, you can dress up a bit, look less like a beach bum, and present yourself as a good example of a responsible foreign member of the community.

I cringe at the way some foreign people dress here.  Supposed to be representing First World standards?

The officials at the BI are smartly turned out in uniforms, and generally act in a very professional way.  Don't you think it is also respectful for us, to also make some small effort to look like functioning members of the human race?

• Like 9
Majorsco

I don't want to be the first to test it. I'd like to hear from those who do test it what their experience is.

easy44

I was in the Ormoc BI yesterday dressed according to the old code and another foreigner was there in in shorts and slippers.  Not sure if because of the new code or because Ormoc was lax anyway.  Maybe both.

A very sad day for the rental pants guy.

• Like 7
nomad4ever

Dress code has never been an issue in Tagbilaran, Bohol. Whenever I was there, I saw foreigners in slippers, sleeveless shirts or shorts without problems. As long you're humble and friendly, clothes were never an issue. Similar experiences I had few years ago in Legazpi and also Dumaguete. Seems to be a Manila and/or Cebu issue?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Edited by nomad4ever

BI staff wear polo shirts. Time they smartened themselves up to set that example. I wouldn't be seen dead in the city in shorts. There's some real bums about.

A very sad day for good manners and common courtesy.  One day, every 2 months, you can dress up a bit, look less like a beach bum, and present yourself as a good example of a responsible foreign member of the community.

I cringe at the way some foreign people dress here.  Supposed to be representing First World standards?

The officials at the BI are smartly turned out in uniforms, and generally act in a very professional way.  Don't you think it is also respectful for us, to also make some small effort to look like functioning members of the human race?

so according to you i,m a beech bum and irresponsible member of the public because I choose to wear shorts t-shirt and flip flops really ? well i,m cringing at your hoity toity comment so because you have a few bob in the bank and dress smartly gives you the right to make a judgement of me ?.Are you forgetting where you are ? its called the tropics in case you forgot .If i,m in london in the winter i,m not going to wear shorts am I ? As for the staff wearing a uniform at BI thats their job and they are required to dress accordingly .so making people dress up on a boiling hot day just to pop into an office for half an hour does not make sense to the majority of people ,

• Like 5
Headshot

The police are "smartly turned out in uniforms" too, but they don't enforce a dress code for people on the sidewalk. What government employees are required to wear has absolutely no bearing on what the public (their customers) wear. The truth is that this stringent dress code was ONLY enforced at Immigration offices, and NOT in any other government office.

I welcome this change. I normally wear "dress" shorts that are down to the knee with no cargo pockets, collared short-sleeve shirts and leather sandals. Before, I had to dress in long pants and real shoes to go to Immigration, but now I can wear my normal attire. Before, the dress code made me sweat, look like crap, and probably stink. 

While I agree that people should dress appropriately to go to government offices, and there is still a dress code, it needs to be reasonable. This new dress code is definitely an improvement...not a "sad day for good manners and common courtesy." You still can't go in wearing sleeveless shirts or swimming suits, but now footwear isn't an issue (unless you are barefoot). People can still dress nicely without being uncomfortable.

It is interesting that they have an issue with sundresses with spaghetti straps. I think that is classic tropical look. I have a feeling it is because so many Filipinas wear bras with straps...even when the straps show when they wear sun dresses. So, this rule is probably there because they don't want to see women's bra straps.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 4
bahalina buong

WTF?  I can't wear a wife-beater pulled up over my beer belly?  I thought that was the official national garment.

But seriously,  while it's not that hard to show some respect every other month when doing business in a gov't office, it's nice to see the Philippines take an interest in catering to the needs of tourists.  Maybe this, along with the new 6 month visa, is a sign of better things to come in regards to the Philippines attitude towards attracting tourism. 

Edited by bahalina buong
  • Like 4
Canuck Joe

One small step for man...

Now if we could just get them to scrap the exit fee at the airport or at the least put an ATM close by...so many new ones get shocked by the fee and are left scrambling to find PHP so they don't miss thier flight.

Edited by Canuck Joe
Skywalker

well i,m cringing at your hoity toity comment so because you have a few bob in the bank

My God, some of you people need to lighten up.

Firstly it was a tongue in cheek comment, and secondly what the f*ck has money in the bank got to do with it, and where exactly did I mention money in the bank?

Finally I guess they brought in the dress code in the first place, because people might well have been turning up dressed like bar bums.  IF THE CAP FITS, WEAR IT!

• Like 3