VA/GI Bill Approved Schools in the Philippines

Wrye83

Anyone know where to find a list of approved colleges/universities for the Philippines?

I'm wanting to use my GI Bill here but they seem to no longer provide a list of approved overseas schools on the VA website (I recall such a list about 2 years ago when I was looking into it).

I'm wanting to compare some schools in Dumaguete/Cebu/Iloilo and determine which would be best for me.

JamesMusslewhite

http://gibill.va.gov/Vet_Info/OS_TrngV.htm

http://www.gibill.va.gov/resources/education_resources/foreign_schools.html

There are suppose to be over 300 schools in the Philippines that are on the VA-approved list I will see if I can find a link to the list.

I have yet to find a link to a list. I did find a list of all Universities and Collages in the Philippines, perhaps you can look and see what school are in the area you wish to live and look at their curriculum to see which school interest you the most. Then you can compile a list and call the school or the VA contact number listed in the URL's above and confirm if they are VA/GI approved. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_universities_and_colleges_in_the_Philippines

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
Wrye83

I've seen that one. That method requires that I personally visit every school and ask them if they are approved.

I would like a list of schools approved so I don't waste my time traveling around to schools and then being told, "sorry sir, we have no idea what you are talking about. Please wait a while." or they turn out to not be approved.

I've dealt with locals enough, I know to go with as much information as possible. Going empty handed almost always ends up with you running around in circles to find simple answers that they should know the answers to.

Basically I need to know if they're approved and then take all the forms filled out and all they need to do is sign the papers.

http://gibill.va.gov/Vet_Info/OS_TrngV.htm

There are suppose to be over 300 schools in the Philippines that are on the VA-approved list I will see if I can find a link to the list.

Yeah, I remember that list. But I can't seem to find it anymore.

smokey

you can add a school yourself we added UC and Southwestern it was pretty easy the va is an easy boy /// i do remember the rates they paid was way lower then the usa

Edited by smokey
Wrye83

you can add a school yourself we added UC and Southwestern it was pretty easy the va is an easy boy /// i do remember the rates they paid was way lower then the usa

Housing allowance for all overseas location is 1400 USD and some change. That's all I really care about. Just plan on doing enough to pass and collect the housing allowance for a couple years. I think you are allowed 19k USD per semester for private and overseas schools and maximum of 1k USD for book a year. I think that'll cover pretty much any school in this country.

I'll give a go with adding the school myself.

Wrye83

The link is not working for me, but that would be interesting to see. Since GI bill requires you to enroll a minimum of 7 credits (more than half time) and at least one class on campus (vs. online) to receive housing allowance, then I'm assuming you will be attending uni with the traditional Filipino students. Now, that would be an experience I hope you share in LinC! :)

Edited by Psst!

SURVIVOR'S AND DEPENDENTS' EDUCATIONAL ASSISTANCE - CHAPTER 35

I have been also looking into this subject because I wish to send my two stepchildren to college here in Cebu through the VA Dependents' Educational Assistance program.   Since that will be four years from now I have loads of time to study and plan :) but I would be happy to hear of the experiences of any U.S. Veterans who have sent their Filipino stepchildren to college in Cebu. 

Well it happened again. Every time I take a serious look at using the GI Bill I end up getting a contract offer that I can't refuse.

I was interested in college to fight the boredom of living in Dumaguete and to collect some housing allowance. I also threw some interest in a contract in Afghanistan with my old company to see if any spots were available. Looks like funding will be available in a month or so. Now scrambling to get my affairs in order for a year deployment. Wasn't expecting a reply until the government shutdown was resolved. Very wrong, wheels turning fast on getting me in theater.

Edited by Wrye83