10 Common Motorcycle Accidents and How To Avoid Them

This is rich, really rich.  The people who actually make the "motorcycle safety" video, say right up front that riding a motorcycle is dangerous. They don't equivocate by saying that the degree of danger relates to the experience of the rider, or to the road conditions, or to traffic, or to anything else. No. They tell it like it is with no caveats. It is dangerous.  And when someone points this out; that the very people who are advocating motorcycle safety admit up front that motorcycle riding is dangerous, some motorcycle enthusiasts get all bent out of shape with the "many things in life are dangerous" and the "don't tell me what to do and not to do" lines of BS.

Why is it wrong to acknowledge that something is dangerous but do it anyway? 

Why is the degree of danger not related to experience, road conditions, traffic or anything else? These factors are certainly valid for the degree of danger involved in driving a car. I recognize that riding motorbikes is, relatively speaking, more dangerous than driving a car.

I agree there is no need for anyone to get bent out shape. It's also not a particularly useful debating technique to refer to the opposition's point of view as BS.

I am a relatively inexperienced rider. I do not qualify as an enthusiast. I do recognize the dangers. I choose to do it while minimizing the risks to the best of my ability. What am I doing wrong?

Unless I am very mistaken, the statistic for death by motorbike riding is not 100%, nor is the statistic for serious injury. The actual rates may be higher than some people are prepared to accept or not. Is this not a personal choice?

For an activity that is considered to be, and acknowledged as, very dangerous, why are there enthusiasts?

• Like 3
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Terrance

• thebob

• InternetTough

• Canuck Joe

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

crossing the street is dangerous...guess I better just sit right here in my rocking chair   no way man

http://rideapart.com/2013/08/10-common-motorcycle-accidents-and-how-to-avoid-them/

If you are so risk averse, I doubt that Cebu is the right place for you.

SkyMan

This is rich, really rich.  The people who actually make the "motorcycle safety" video, say right up front that riding a motorcycle is dangerous. They don't equivocate by saying that the degree of danger relates to the experience of the rider, or to the road conditions, or to traffic, or to anything else. No. They tell it like it is with no caveats. It is dangerous.  And when someone points this out; that the very people who are advocating motorcycle safety admit up front that motorcycle riding is dangerous, some motorcycle enthusiasts get all bent out of shape with the "many things in life are dangerous" and the "don't tell me what to do and not to do" lines of BS. Hey, if you riders out there are bent out of shape, complain to your brethren... the people who actually made the video.  At least they are being honest about motorcycle riding. And, by the way, when you are laid-up in the hospital (for no fault of your own, of course, because it will always be the fault of some distracted driver... never mind that it is your flesh and blood that is smeared across the pavement) I hope you will continue to spout nonsense about the safety of motorcycle riding.  

Terrance, why would you post (or even look at) a thread obviously for motorcycle riders when you obviously don't fall into that category?

• Like 2

It is not a matter of being "risk adverse". It is a matter of being smart.

Terrance____please enumerate some of your 'manly pursuits', if any, so we can critique them as you have ours.

InternetTough

For an activity that is considered to be, and acknowledged as, very dangerous, why are there enthusiasts?

Leave crack out of this!

InternetTough

why would you post (or even look at) a thread obviously for motorcycle riders when you obviously don't fall into that category?

If I hum "Born to Be Wild" while I am hanging on to the back of a tricycle, can I post on this thread?

• Like 3
thebob

I'm amazed that an article on motorcycle safety turned out to be so controversial.

Damn, motorcycles are so dangerous I think I'm going to take up alligator wrestling instead.

• Like 1
Canuck Joe

If I hum "Born to Be Wild" while I am hanging on to the back of a tricycle, can I post on this thread?

extra points for singing Living on the Edge....while wearing a g string and flip flops hanging of the back of a tricycle.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hmmmm, so by Skyman's logic, I shouldn't read "Moby d*ck" because I am not a whaler? (Don't worry, I haven't read it.... I did't like the movie!)  And as far as "manly pursuits" go, Sonny, I guess serving in the Navy and raising 2 well adjusted children don't count as there was not enough self-imposed danger involved. Damn, I guess I just missed out on life being a teacher for so many years..... All I have to show for it was low cost life insurance!  And, as a point of clarification, my complaint is not that anyone would ride a motorcycle.  People do stupid things everyday. My complaint was that people who ride motorcycles complain when it is pointed out that the people who train people to ride motorcycles say that it is dangerous. 

Edited by Terrance
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

The last video is another example of: You go where you look!

Like this guy: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3ZgiXFS6Lc

Edited by Monsoon
  • Like 1
thebob

The last video is another example of: You go where you look!   Like this guy: 

Yeah! target fixation was definitely a contributing factor, but looking at the lean on the first picture, and the height of the luggage on the back, I'd guess that he chopped the throttle on the way in, and when the bike stood up he got fixated on the corvette and that was that.

In slow, out fast sorts out those problems.

Canuck Joe

Hmmmm, so by Skyman's logic, I shouldn't read "Moby d*ck" because I am not a whaler? (Don't worry, I haven't read it.... I did't like the movie!)  And as far as "manly pursuits" go, Sonny, I guess serving in the Navy and raising 2 well adjusted children don't count as there was not enough self-imposed danger involved. Damn, I guess I just missed out on life being a teacher for so many years..... All I have to show for it was low cost life insurance!  And, as a point of clarification, my complaint is not that anyone would ride a motorcycle.  People do stupid things everyday. My complaint was that people who ride motorcycles complain when it is pointed out that the people who train people to ride motorcycles say that it is dangerous.

you are a noble and strong wise man...able to analysis risk to your perspective.....then deem others stupid for doing something you dread not.

carry on wise risk calculating man, live long and prosper.

signed,

dumb guy

• 3 months later...

One of the things an experienced rider will do is watch the mirrors like a hawk if he's the first and only vehicle at a red light. Slightly less dangerous is being the last vehicle in line at the red but in places like California we don't have that issue because we split the lanes at the stop if there are cars already waiting. This looks dangerous to people who don't know how the danger works, but it's actually safer for everyone; that's why it's legal.

Agree.

To guys who only drive cars and to guys who are thinking of starting to ride on two wheels.  

Watch this.

Good, well explained video done by RideApart about lane splitting on a motorcycle .  From riders point of view off course.

• Like 1
JamesMusslewhite

Here you have to keep a close eye on what is happening behind you, always observe everything happening in front of you; and expect that nothing or nobody will respect you; and always "ALWAYS" assume you are surround by total idiots who will undoubtedly do whatever is stupidest. Invest in a quality helmet and always armor up before you ride (long sleeves, jacket, long pants, and boots) because if you eat the pavement your flesh will merely be skid marks on the pavement. Ride fast, ride hard, and live long.

• Like 2

Expect anything and everything in front, behind and beside you to pull out, move over, in some way try to make you hit the blacktop. Do they see you? No/maybe expect the unexpected at all times. 

Don't like bikes, don't ride. Stay safe in your cage as I pass you in the bumper to bumper traffic.

You can even flip me off and throw some nice words my way on how much danger I am putting myself in.

Sorry didn't see it or hear your kind words.

I'm long gone.

Be safe. Accidents aren't nice on a bike or in a car.

• Like 2