• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Terrance

• thebob

• InternetTough

• Canuck Joe

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

crossing the street is dangerous...guess I better just sit right here in my rocking chair   no way man

http://rideapart.com/2013/08/10-common-motorcycle-accidents-and-how-to-avoid-them/

If you are so risk averse, I doubt that Cebu is the right place for you.

worked for me   (I am back in Talisay now, since yesterday)

Terrance

The link works for me. But, quite frankly, you can stop reading after the first sentence. Here it is in case the link does not work for you: Riding a motorcycle is dangerous.    Well, we can thank the makers of this video for honesty.  The best way to avoid a motorcycle accident is not to ride a motorcycle. Eventually, sooner or later,  fate and the odds catch up with motorcycle riders.  Here is a lesson from our French speaking friends. In Senegal (where the colonial language was French) a motorcycle is called a "tomber-morts".  Anyone care to translate that bastardization of the Gallic tongue? 

• Like 1
SkyMan

Link isn't working for me.

Still nothing for me for some reason.  Even tried rideapart.com

Riding a motorcycle is dangerous.

Thanks, I'll put that in my file along with Driving a car is dangerous.  Firecrackers are dangerous.  and Walking down the street is dangerous.

Oh, and don't forget, Power tools are dangerous.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1
Terrance

And don't leave out "Cracking wise on a public forum."  That can also be dangerous!

thebob

The best way to avoid a motorcycle accident is not to ride a motorcycle. 

If you are so risk averse, I doubt that Cebu is the right place for you.

• Like 4
InternetTough

The link works for me. But, quite frankly, you can stop reading after the first sentence. Here it is in case the link does not work for you: Riding a motorcycle is dangerous.    Well, we can thank the makers of this video for honesty.  The best way to avoid a motorcycle accident is not to ride a motorcycle. Eventually, sooner or later,  fate and the odds catch up with motorcycle riders.  Here is a lesson from our French speaking friends. In Senegal (where the colonial language was French) a motorcycle is called a "tomber-morts".  Anyone care to translate that bastardization of the Gallic tongue? 

According to Wikipedia and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration,  per unit of distance travelled, riding a motorcycle is 35 times more likely to result in a fatal accident than driving a passenger car.*

You are certainly right about the odds.

*Yes, a great deal of the X35 figure is undoubtedly due to how badly the motorcyclists ride their motorcycles, but X35 is an awful lot of difference.

Edited by InternetTough

According to Wikipedia and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration,  per unit of distance travelled, riding a motorcycle is 35 times more likely to result in a fatal accident than driving a passenger car.*

You are certainly right about the odds.

*Yes, a great deal of the X35 figure is undoubtedly due to how badly the motorcyclists ride their motorcycles, but X35 is an awful lot of difference.

Risk isn't a simple linear thing, however. 

The first bit of time and the first 500-1000 miles ridden are vastly more dangerous, as are the first few miles on a new machine. 

I always hate to see guys who lived to be 50+ without a bike suddenly decide to become riders. On one hand, good for them to do something they might love, on the other hand, I see the statistical writing on the wall and wince. 

• Like 2
ROCO22

"I always hate to see guys who lived to be 50+ without a bike suddenly decide to become riders. On one hand, good for them to do something they might love, on the other hand, I see the statistical writing on the wall and wince."

Exactamundo/spot on...Motorcycle mid-life crisis, recipe for disaster.

Health professionals refer to bikes as "donor-cycles".

• Like 2
thebob

There would be a lot less accidents without cars and trucks on the road!

• Like 1
InternetTough

There would be a lot less accidents without cars and trucks on the road!

Yes, motorcyclists could do with having some dedicated roads---and so could American passenger trains.

Note:They should not be combined (even if it would be okay with some sport motorcycle riders).

Edited by InternetTough
Terrance

It is not a matter of being "risk adverse". It is a matter of being smart.

JollyJim

Good videos, all good stuff to know.

Bought my 1st Harley bout a month ago, 2008 Ultra Classic. Its so much fun to drive I have put on over 2K miles and havn't went anywhere.

I have had a bike of some kind since I was 15, just love to ride.

Edited by JollyJim
  • Like 2