Flashing a custom ROM (firmware) to Android

Wrye83

I don't think you need a new "OS" as android is android. Maybe a new ROM (firmware). What exactly are you looking to change?

I've never used a Kindle myself, I've only read reviews on it. I don't know how much crap amazon is throwing on there and how their friendly their interface is.

There is a thread for installing PAC ROM on the Kindle 2 already.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2347951

Sent from my GT-p6800 using Tapatalk 4

I don't think you need a new "OS" as android is android.

Not really true, Android is an open source project that produces a number of OS versions, in an even bigger number of permutations. It's a tribute to the platform (which is probably a better term from many points of view) and tool chain that we can experience so much success in putting Android software out there.

No device I know of actually ships with pure Android as the platform, and I'm unaware of any pure Android ROM that's popular. Most are a combination of Android, some free bits from Google (for instance, youtube and Google maps are NOT part of Android) and if the OEM is large enough, custom SW from the OEM.

Cyanogen just went pro with the whistling belly button trick, people might find their offereings more trustworthy now.

Wrye83

Most cellular companies use the standard android OS. I have never seen one that has a version that has not been put out by Google.

The firmware can be very different from phone to phone though. Most manufacturers send out updates at different times, I suspect the delay is due to them preparing their bloat ware to work with the updates. The leaks from Google usually come out before the phone manufacturers release.

Most of the crap phones you find here are 2.x Android. I think the most recent is 4.1.2. I've seen on XDA people mentioning versions 4.3 but I'm not sure these are from Google.

Yeah, it's open source but most manufacturers don't create OS updates that I'm aware of. Why would they invest in such a project when they know Google will do it for them.

Edited by Wrye83

Most cellular companies use the standard android OS. I have never seen one that has a version that has not been put out by Google.

First, Android is not a Google product, strictly speaking.  So there's that. The Android platform is an open platform managed by OHA. 

Second, if it has carrier branding, it's not standard Android.

Third, if it has Google branded stuff, it's not vanilla Android. 

Fourth, if it has OEM custom software it's not standard Android. 

I can't think of a SINGLE phone that's running vanilla Android, but the Nexus phones (sold by Google) come close, in that they are Android + Google devices, and are thus favored by many developers as a baseline device. 

Disclaimer: I write software for Android

• Like 2
USMC-Retired

I run Jellybean on my Tab Plus 7" P6200 that is rooted.  I can not see changing yet until that changes.  The P6200 tab plus was a better tablet the the Tab 2 by samsung that followed it.  Great post though enjoyed..

• Like 1