Flashing a custom ROM (firmware) to Android

Wrye83

Decided that stock Android wasn't cutting it. My battery life was getting to be pretty bad and the thing was getting pretty slow.

I decided to go with the PAC-Man ROM as it eliminates all the Samsung bloatware, offers great battery life along with other features that improve tablet/phone function, gives complete control over customization and also looks great.

Had some issues though. Mostly due to me not paying attention to the instructions and to small details.

First, when I did a backup of my app and contact data I clicked the wrong SD card, saved it to the internal memory (which gets wiped). Contacts were not saved on SIM. Doesn't effect the process any but it REALLY sucks to lose all those apps and numbers.

Second, when I did a backup of the stock firmware I didn't save it in the correct format. Although I did save it in the right place. This caused a MASSIVE headache later on.

Went through the process and had everything going. The firmware then asked for an update to the Google apps and said it would find the correct version in the popup. Well......it didn't find the correct one, made it impossible to do anything other than go to settings and turn on the wifi, Bluetooth and cell. Turns out they said that'd happen in the instructions. No backups to fall back on made it a headache.

Downloaded the correct update from gfs phone and blue toothed it to my tab (I don't have a computer). Flashed the apps and now its working great.

Now I just have to download the 100 plus apps I had and listen to my girlfriend brag that she is now kicking my ass in candy crush.

If you ever do root and flash new firmware you'll be amazed, and possibly a bit scared, of what a smart phone can actually do (Google "root apps" and take a look what some of them do). Just make sure ya do it right, I'm lucky I didn't brick my phone and turn it into an expensive paperweight.

• Like 1

Thanks for the post. It serves as a reminder of why I really like my iPads and iPods. Apple makes it so simple to use their devices.

Apples great. I really enjoy playing Skyrim and GTA on it.

Wrye83

There are companies that are putting out some really nice android phones and tablets now. My tab is almost 2 years old and was getting close to the point I needed to either buy a new one or do some heavy mods on it. The mods cost absolutely nothing other than a small donation I volunteered to the developers of the firmware.

I have had apples in the past and I find it too restrictive with the permissions and has a dumbed down interface meant to appeal to people who only want to text and play some games. It really is a matter of personal preference. I enjoy making the modifications and being able to fix the few problems I have had with my Android phones and tabs. I also like to multitask, something apple still hasn't really figured out how to do that well.

The cheaper androids you find here are pure junk. I'm fixing my girlfriend's phone constantly but if you compare dollar to dollar Android is right on par or even slightly above Apple in terms of performance desired by the average user.

• Like 2
Kodiak570

The main thing about Android and their ROMS is that once you learn how to do it, you can change them when you like. There are so many themes and bases, you could have a new one everyday for a year. I currently have the Cyanogen Mod on my HTC Evo. I love it. Rooting is the best thing to be done to Android devices. Open source is taking over everything. This (Ubuntu for Android) looks really promising too.

• Like 1

When adding your contacts to an Android phone, choose to save them to google/gmail instead of phone, sim, or anywhere else. Then you should never lose them.

If you wipe your phone or get a new one, they will sync to it again as soon as you add your google account.

Edited by T.S.
  • Like 2
Wrye83

Yeah, but I am usually using my mobile Internet and not wifi, so I had turned all my account syncs off to save data and speed up the browsing quite some time ago. Lesson learned.

Sent from my GT-p6800 using Tapatalk 4

Wrye83

The main thing about Android and their ROMS is that once you learn how to do it, you can change them when you like. There are so many themes and bases, you could have a new one everyday for a year. I currently have the Cyanogen Mod on my HTC Evo. I love it. Rooting is the best thing to be done to Android devices. Open source is taking over everything. This (Ubuntu for Android) looks really promising too.

I'm really liking the PAC ROM. I had flashed several ROMs onto my last phone (Motorola DROID Global). I know how to do properly, I just got a bit ahead of myself.

Have to be careful with root and flashing though. You can brick it and void your warranty at the same time. Some devs don't account for the flash counter that tells a tech if you have modified the phone.

Good thing about being overseas is that most phones you get your hands on haven't been crippled by the cellular companies. A stock android bought here usually has more features available than in the US. (wireless tethering really ticks off Verizon)

• Like 1

Android IS open source, when you place vanilla Android on the device you're not removing "stock Android", you're INSTALLING it. 

• Like 1
thebob

If anyone knows how to root a Kindle Fire 2 on a Mac I'd much appreciate the heads up. this is as far as I can get.

Easy rooting toolkit (v2.0)                    
                   created by DooMLoRD                         
   Modified for Kindle Fire for  Linux/Mac by Max Lee at RootKindleFire.com      
        using exploit zergRush (Revolutionary Team)            
   Credits go to all those involved in making this possible!   
---------------------------------------------------------------
 [*] This script will:                                         
     (1) root ur device using latest zergRush exploit (10 Nov) 
     (2) install Busybox (1.18.4)                              
     (3) install SU files (binary: 3.0.3 and apk: 3.0.6)       
 [*] Before u begin:                                           
     (1) enable USB DEBUGGING                                
           from (Menu\Settings\Applications\Development)       
     (2) enable UNKNOWN SOURCES                              
           from (Menu\Settings\Applications)                   
     (3) [OPTIONAL] increase screen timeout to 10 minutes      
     (4) connect USB cable to PHONE and then connect 2 computer
---------------------------------------------------------------
--- STARTING ----
--- WAITING FOR DEVICE
--- cleaning
rm failed for *, No such file or directory
--- pushing zergRush
387 KB/s (23056 bytes in 0.058s)
--- correcting permissions
--- executing zergRush

[**] Zerg rush - Android 2.2/2.3 local root
[**] © 2011 Revolutionary. All rights reserved.

[**] Parts of code from Gingerbreak, © 2010-2011 The Android Exploid Crew.

[-] Not a 2.2/2.3 Android ...
--- WAITING FOR DEVICE TO RECONNECT
if it gets stuck over here for a long time then try:
   disconnect usb cable and reconnect it
   toggle USB DEBUGGING (first disable it then enable it)
--- DEVICE FOUND
--- pushing busybox
481 KB/s (1075144 bytes in 2.182s)
--- remounting /system
mount: permission denied (are you root?)
--- copying busybox to /system/xbin/
/system/xbin/busybox: cannot open for write: Read-only file system
--- correcting ownership
Unable to chmod /system/xbin/busybox: No such file or directory
Unable to chmod /system/xbin/busybox: No such file or directory
--- installing busybox
/system/bin/sh: /system/xbin/busybox: not found
--- pushing SU binary
failed to copy 'su' to '/system/bin/su': Read-only file system
--- correcting ownership
Unable to chmod /system/bin/su: No such file or directory
Unable to chmod /system/bin/su: No such file or directory
--- correcting symlinks
rm failed for /system/xbin/su, No such file or directory
link failed Read-only file system
--- pushing Superuser app
failed to copy 'Superuser.apk' to '/system/app/./Superuser.apk': Read-only file system
--- cleaning
--- rebooting
--- WAITING FOR DEVICE
435 KB/s (3104805 bytes in 6.963s)
pkg: /data/local/tmp/recovery.apk
Failure [iNSTALL_FAILED_ALREADY_EXISTS]
All Done, Kindle Fire ROOTED!!!

If anyone knows how to root a Kindle Fire 2 on a Mac I'd much appreciate the heads up. this is as far as I can get.

Have you been on the XDA Developers forum? It is a big site/forum dedicated to this stuff with subforums for each device.

You might find more help there. Here are the Kindle Fire 2 subforums...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1782

• Like 1
Mang Kanor

Before adnroid, windows mobile was the king of MODS, i like modding all my HTC phones before until i got tired of modding and went to apple, tried android but wasnt impressed with it even if its rooted and with all those custom rooms you can get on the site.

i still think apple is the best out of the box experience, no need to root and mod just to function it well.

• Like 1
thebob

You might find more help there. Here are the Kindle Fire 2 subforums... http://forum.xda-dev...play.php?f=1782

Thanks for that reading this thread it looks like it is very risky on my 2nd gen.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2228539

i still think apple is the best out of the box experience, no need to root and mod just to function it well.

And Kindle is truly nasty if you live outside the US. And the browser really sucks. But it's OK as an ebook reader!

Wrye83

Yeah, haven't heard man good things about the Kindle.......unless you want a reader.

• Like 1
thebob

Yeah, haven't heard man good things about the Kindle.......unless you want a reader.

The hardware is OK and it has pretty good specs, if only you could get a decent OS into it.

It's a pity because I'd like to play with Android. My Fire 2nd Gen is just too new.