Why would anyone want to live in Cebu after reading this forum?

msmith524

Once you leave the big US cities... living can be cheap. I live in Florida near the beach and waterway for less than I spent in the phils... and have a much better house/lifestyle without all the phils hassles. Of course mileage may vary and this is just my story...

I lived in a medium sized city in the SW USA. My food costs were cheaper than Phil. My rent was about 30% higher but I had a fully furnished good sized studio with pool, full sized fridge and stove, full sized sink, no brownouts, air cond, no water problems.

You pays your money and you takes your choice. Women throughout the USA aren't worth the breath of speaking to 99.5% of the time though.

• Like 1
  • Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tomaw

• smokey

• SomeRandomGuy

• Paul

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would.   I noticed much more than the girls.   Maybe because I never came to the Philippines to find a girl and did not know about the bikini bars etc before my first trip. I just came for a hol

In my mind, I think more people DO end up visiting the Philippines due to the information offered on this forum. I feel this, because they don't get smoke blown up their asses when they come to this f

The forums members tell the good, the bad and the ugly of living in the Philippines so if anyone who has not been to the Philippines reads the bad stuff and knows that they do not have the temperament

Posted Images

JamesMusslewhite

I love it here, and seem to not encounter most of these problems and hassles that fill these threads. Nor do I need to stress out on every little inconvenience. I do not have rose colored glasses nor do I have rectum-optics either. I adjust, adapt, and sort out a better way. So I guess perhaps I can just hack it here better than most, and it seems perhaps most just simply need to be somewhere else where they can find this imaginary perfect life....

I just see it all as redundant and humorous, thread after thread of disillusioned silly old men crying due to the realization that the Philippines is not as impressed with them as they are with themselves. But it does make for some entertaining threads so I thank you...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I love it here, and seem to not encounter most of these problems and hassles that fill these threads. Nor do I need to stress out on every little inconvenience. I do not have rose colored glasses nor do I have rectum-optics either. I adjust, adapt, and sort out a better way. So I guess perhaps I can just hack it here better than most, and it seems perhaps most just simply need to be somewhere else where they can find this imaginary perfect life....

I just see it all as redundant and humorous, thread after thread of disillusioned silly old men crying due to the realization that the Philippines is not as impressed with them as they are with themselves. But it does make for some entertaining threads so I thank you...

Rectum-optics?  Er ...  Not sure what they are.  I've heard of broad spectrum antibiotics; isn't that something to do with optics?  Isaac Newton, anyone?

If the posts are simply Filipino-bashing then yes, your disillusioned silly old men comment is justified.  Personally and on balance, I enjoy living here.  My situation is far from what I planned, but then that's life.  Agreed, sometimes you have to hunker down and ignore the bullshit; on the other hand I shall speak out when the mood takes me.  There are the occasional comments that in order to 'recharge the batteries' it is sometimes necessary to take a trip and remind oneself why we originally liked the place.  For me, Mindoro is 4 hours away (could be less) and very cheap to get and stay there, a great place to remind myself of the original love affair.

I've just accepted a teaching post.  I'm hoping this will give me first hand knowledge of what the young feel about the PH; their aspirations, etc.  Who'd have thought that at my advanced age I would become a teacher - but maybe this is something I can contribute to the PH.

• Like 2
SomeRandomGuy

ha who is old here... i been here for 6 years and I am just over it for now.. far from my twlight years and not ready to settle and retire yet...

I have watched this country get more and more anti-foreigner and even you yourself have had a few problems here James.

Bottom line is if u want the luxury's from home stay at bloody home. If you want people to make sense then stay at bloody home. I am off on towards my next adventure in an even less developed nation.

It's not that there is anything wrong the phil's.   Just it ain't for me right now

JamesMusslewhite

Rectum-optics?  Er ...  Not sure what they are.  I've heard of broad spectrum antibiotics; isn't that something to do with optics?  Isaac Newton, anyone?

If the posts are simply Filipino-bashing then yes, your disillusioned silly old men comment is justified.  Personally and on balance, I enjoy living here.  My situation is far from what I planned, but then that's life.  Agreed, sometimes you have to hunker down and ignore the bullshit; on the other hand I shall speak out when the mood takes me.  There are the occasional comments that in order to 'recharge the batteries' it is sometimes necessary to take a trip and remind oneself why we originally liked the place.  For me, Mindoro is 4 hours away (could be less) and very cheap to get and stay there, a great place to remind myself of the original love affair.

I've just accepted a teaching post.  I'm hoping this will give me first hand knowledge of what the young feel about the PH; their aspirations, etc.  Who'd have thought that at my advanced age I would become a teacher - but maybe this is something I can contribute to the PH.

Rectum-optics is when someone is so full of personal bull-shit, that they can only have a shitty outlook on life.... :biggrin_01:

• Like 1
JamesMusslewhite

ha who is old here... i been here for 6 years and I am just over it for now.. far from my twlight years and not ready to settle and retire yet...

I have watched this country get more and more anti-foreigner and even you yourself have had a few problems here James.

Bottom line is if u want the luxury's from home stay at bloody home. If you want people to make sense then stay at bloody home. I am off on towards my next adventure in an even less developed nation.

It's not that there is anything wrong the phil's.   Just it ain't for me right now

I understand you completely I moved here in 2008 at age 50 and at 55 I'm building our retirement program as I have no trust there will even be one by the time I qualify for SS benefits. We came with a purpose and a plan and for the most part are on tract with our business plan. My wife and I moved here to build a life. I think many move here but do not know what to do with themselves. I see this as being a major problem with many as they feel unfulfilled and unproductive here when this was not an issue back in their home country. This is why I try to start farm and garden threads so many can perhaps enrich their lives through horticultural projects or fish farming ventures. It is the simplest venture an expat can involve themselves in and will certainly fill a void in a lonely existence. You need to come here to live, not to merely exist, or simply to just wait for death. It is not for everyone but most everyone can do it.

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
  • Like 2
SomeRandomGuy

i do follow your farming threads mate....    and i do enjoy them

• Like 1
Jim Sibbick

Why in the world would I even buy one here.  There are so many choices and a Big Mac falls somewhere near cow dung and whale sperm.  . 

I have been in McDonald's in the Philippines about 3 times in 19 years. 

I went to McDonald's in about the year 2002 because my house maid saw a McDo advertisement on TV and on a visit to Cebu City wanted to try it. She was over McDonald's after one visit and said she preferred Jolibee. The other time was with my god son's sister and her friends in about 2005. I asked them where they wanted to eat and as none of had been to McDonald's and we were close by, they said McDonald's. When the food came they tried it. Then they asked me if they had to finish their food. I said no so they left the food in the restaurant. Did not even take the opportunity to take some home for their relatives. They all prefer Jolibee too! 

Hilarious ???? Just who are you to call us hilarious ?  Why I bet you are hilarious yourself !! [ and your mother wears army boots !!! ]

We certainly might be bald - but hilarious?- never !!

I said "a lot", meaning not all. And I certainly don't think you're one of them. :P

• Like 2
msmith524

Gee I did not know a country could be impressed with someone. But if a country could, I guess I'd say that the Philippines is too stupid to judge what is impressive and what is not, since their standards are so low in everything.

• Like 1
bahalina buong

. I am off on towards my next adventure in an even less developed nation.

Have you considered visiting or living in a MORE-developed nation?  Maybe a happy medium between the Phils and your own country?  Taiwan or Malaysia?  You're a younger guy so there's really no need for you to subject yourself to all the BS here just to have some sweet, young cutie in your bed.  You could probably manage that in any country.

afmayer

Hilarious ???? Just who are you to call us hilarious ?  Why I bet you are hilarious yourself !! [ and your mother wears army boots !!! ]

We certainly might be bald - but hilarious?- never !!

I said "a lot", meaning not all. And I certainly don't think you're one of them. :P

Can you clarify? Did you mean that "Davaoeno" isn't "hilarious" or isn't "bald"? I think the distinction would be important to him.

• Like 1
JamesMusslewhite

Gee I did not know a country could be impressed with someone. But if a country could, I guess I'd say that the Philippines is too stupid to judge what is impressive and what is not, since their standards are so low in everything.

And in that reply is the heart of the problem. Our standards and the Filipino standard. We expect from them a standard they do not know. They see it as normal and they see the slow progression of progress. I traveled here in the Philippines back when Marcos was still President and things have greatly improved since then. The locals only know what they experience and see for themselves. We come here and just see the bad of the differences and rarely understand this progression. We think the Filipinos should listen, but to them we are just full of grand tales. You see them as stupid, and they see you as a three-headed chicken, an oddity, and someone they really don't care to have to deal with. It is a cavern some can never bridge and others traverse with ease.

To me it is just a thing and no big biggie. :biggrin_01:

• Like 3

....... James, your posts as compared to a lot of other posts on this forum is like a rose popping out of a pile of manure. I wish everybody had your attitude and ingenuity. Good luck with all your projects particularly the lobster farm idea. How's that coming along?
  • Like 5
Baywak

Like the story of a woman that walks up to a well known author on a street corner and asks him-I am thinking of moving here,do you think I will like it-the author says to the woman-how was it where you came from-she replies-it was horrible with nasty mean people.the author says-you will find the same is true of here.On another day a man runs into the same author and says-I am thinking of moving here-how is it and how are the people-(You guessed it)-the author asks the man how was it where you came from-the man replied-I loved it and the people were wonderful-the author then said-you will find the same is true here.

I have spent many years in the Pinas and have encountered many of the experiences that some members find to be unbearable but yet they stay.All too many are so shallow that they brought who they were in there home country(of course) with them here and can't shake off the kano crap they carry.Change the way you look at things and the things you look at will change.Why would anyone expect the Pinas to be Mayberry,NC or Bumfuk, New York ?A lot of the old farts spend there days in the Phil at the Malls trying to figure out why that older guy is with a pretty young filippina and having a great life living his own life fully while the other old fart is miserable with the filippina he is with,probably because he is an old stale fart wanting to rain on others parade.You'll see them everywhere-when you see them-Smile and walk fast.

Edited by Baywak
  • Like 6