Why would anyone want to live in Cebu after reading this forum?

USMC-Retired

The thing is I lived a retired lifestyle in the Philippines.  So moving here I looked for the similar opportunities here and how I could accomplish my goals.  Now I will buy a house at 458 dollars a month, good school district, low crime, medical and dental and just a better life FOR ME.

There are many reasons to live there primary reason is people need to make the wife happy Yet if she has nothing to compare it to then her fears could be for not.  Under no circumstance should anyone tell people it is easy to live in the Philippines.  It takes work on a daily basis and lots of tongue biting.  Plus it takes lots and lots of money.  There are some exceptions, Roger and James live very modest.  Though most I knew there spent more then they would if they relocated to the US. It is not the cheap location it once was.  

I use the Big Mac as my gauge of costs.  In 2007 a Big Mac meal was 99 pesos.  When I left it was 159 peso.    The cost of living there is rising much faster then the US and our exchange rate has suffered.   

• Like 1
  • Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tomaw

• smokey

• SomeRandomGuy

• Paul

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would.   I noticed much more than the girls.   Maybe because I never came to the Philippines to find a girl and did not know about the bikini bars etc before my first trip. I just came for a hol

In my mind, I think more people DO end up visiting the Philippines due to the information offered on this forum. I feel this, because they don't get smoke blown up their asses when they come to this f

The forums members tell the good, the bad and the ugly of living in the Philippines so if anyone who has not been to the Philippines reads the bad stuff and knows that they do not have the temperament

Posted Images

Davaoeno

yep doing that in the usa would get you a laugh unless your hung like a horse... 

maybe they didnt even notice old biker was exposed - its not right of you to make fun of  old biker's inadequacies !! 

• Like 1

The thing is I lived a retired lifestyle in the Philippines. So moving here I looked for the similar opportunities here and how I could accomplish my goals. Now I will buy a house at 458 dollars a month, good school district, low crime, medical and dental and just a better life FOR ME.

There are many reasons to live there primary reason is people need to make the wife happy Yet if she has nothing to compare it to then her fears could be for not. Under no circumstance should anyone tell people it is easy to live in the Philippines. It takes work on a daily basis and lots of tongue biting. Plus it takes lots and lots of money. There are some exceptions, Roger and James live very modest. Though most I knew there spent more then they would if they relocated to the US. It is not the cheap location it once was.

I use the Big Mac as my gauge of costs. In 2007 a Big Mac meal was 99 pesos. When I left it was 159 peso. The cost of living there is rising much faster then the US and our exchange rate has suffered.

.... So what do you pay for a Big Mac where you live now? 0h, by the way, Welcome back home to the USA!!!
USMC-Retired

.... So what do you pay for a Big Mac where you live now? 0h, by the way, Welcome back home to the USA!!!

Why in the world would I even buy one here.  There are so many choices and a Big Mac falls somewhere near cow dung and whale sperm.  So in 30 days I have not found my way to a Mcdo.  Though the dollar menu is advertised on TV all the time.

However my comparison was the cost living over the last 6 years.  A Big Mac rose from 99 to 159 at 62% increase or more then 10% per year.  It is is costing more today to live there and this trend is continuing. 

Edited by USMC-Retired

Why in the world would I even buy one here. There are so many choices and a Big Mac falls somewhere near cow dung and whale sperm. So in 30 days I have not found my way to a Mcdo. Though the dollar menu is advertised on TV all the time.

However my comparison was the cost living over the last 6 years. A Big Mac rose from 99 to 159 at 62% increase or more then 10% per year. It is is costing more today to live there and this trend is continuing.

..... You brought up the Big Mac comparison not me. Yes, prices have gone up in the Philippines but also in the United States. Its called inflation and that happens pretty much everywhere in the world. My best source of what it cost to live in Cebu versus the United States is no longer LinC but my sister in law who just moved to Tampa Florida from Cebu on a spousal visa. Maybe she can remember what it cost for a Big Mac in Cebu. Actually I haven't had a Big Mac in over a year but eat at Subway most every day. But really, I plan on giving up Big Macs and all other fast food once I'm there. I'm dependent on them now because of my job. Once I am retired I'll be eating home cooked meals with fresh ingredients regardless of where I am living. If we are living in Cebu we can get fresh vegetables from my Filipino brother in law. He delivers produce from the farms in the province to the supermarkets in Cebu City. He can get vegetables either at a very big discount or completely free. if we live in the province we can grow our own providing we have enough land. Take a look at James Musselwhite's thread on growing vegetables in the Philippines. It's quite impressive. He is also experimenting with the idea of a lobster farm. I really hope he has success with that. I'll be a regular customer! I plan on also having a home in the United States. Where you live in Texas sounds like a very good possibility. The other places we are considering is Las Vegas, Arizona and Florida. My best friend lives in Las Vegas and my wife's sister lives in Florida so those are probably my two top choices. While in the United States I do plan on working as a realtor as well as collecting Social Security. The plan is to spend 6 months in the US and six months in the Philippines every year. A house completely paid for in the Philippines within five years I know is it realistic possibility. In the US maybe, but definitely not in California! Edited by tomaw
old biker

maybe they didnt even notice old biker was exposed - its not right of you to make fun of  old biker's inadequacies !! 

oi you never said it was that inadequate  the last time I showed "little Freddy" to you but then again you were mumbling something like you had a mouth full of marbles and it weren't marbles , I ain't allowed to say what it was :ROFLMAO:  :dance2:  :baby:

Edited by old biker
  • Like 2

Housing ( weather I buy or rent), food ... I know for an absolute fact are much cheaper in Cebu

Oh, I wish it were true ...

Oh, I wish it were true ...

.......... I'm comparing it to pretty much anywhere in California that's not the ghetto or in the middle of nowhere. What are you comparing it to?

Three hours from Boston, city of 20,000.

Cebu housing probably cheaper but not necessarily by 'much' and certainly not if paying 'asking prices' for Western equivalent.

Cebu food often more reported by those recently returned.

I cannot figure a way for 'lots' cheaper for a family- wish I could. Good luck with that.

Unfortunately, some cannot handle the truth being told to them, like a current advertiser who recently left, due to the blunt posts here. 

Well, if they can't handle the heat, I reckon they need to get out of the kitchen.

I like the balance in this forum. I mean yea, there are blunt members but most of the time the posts crack me up and I think a lot of the men here are hilarious. I think part of why I like this forum is that the members are 98% men. I don't feel like holding back what I really want to say in fear of offending another female member, or the need to praise someone when I don't really need to. That's the nice thing about the males (or most of you, lol), I can tell you you're bald and you won't hold a grudge against me haha. And I think the mods and the owner are great. I was a member of a Fil-Am online forum and it was boring as hell. The owner didn't have a sense of humor AT ALL and the mods loved to kiss his a**.

• Like 6
JamesMusslewhite

Spell checker may work but not the grammar/sense checker: shouldn't it be "coming here?"

Seriously though - please forgive my little dig - your sardonic post highlights the false impression given by many posts on this forum.  Yes, most of these horror stories are true.  Yes, we all get badly frustrated.  Yes, we can often see an obvious better way of doing things.  Yes, we complain but I believe most of the time the complaints are in attempt to make things better, they are not simply condemnations.

I hope and trust that people who have the influence to change things do read this forum. 

When I get completely stir-crazy with cabin-fever that I sneak out to walk around in town, which drives my wife and the PNP crazy, there is always the mountain girls waring the worse clothes they own and t-shits wrapped around their heads holding up their babies stalking and positioning themselves to head me off at the pass. I usually spot them well enough and will change direction just to make them work harder at their little game of manipulation. But when they do finally get close enough they stick the baby in my face and start begging for money. I smile, shake my head no, and say in a cheerful load voice, "No Thank you, I do not want to buy a baby, No I do not need a baby, please you keep your baby, Get the baby'S father to get a job so you can stay home and keep you baby..."

The situation is resolved, their looks are priceless, the locals get a chuckle, and I just go about my own business.   I rarely if ever give money to the beggar kids as they generally loose it gambling or bullied by the older gang kids or their handlers. I will buy them breads and snacks which they can eat, barter, or share among themselves. Remember they may be poor, but the poorest of the poor seem to be able to eat well enough here in this country. As long as fools hand them coins this will keep going on and on, and on. 

• Like 5
Davaoeno

I think a lot of the men here are hilarious.

Hilarious ???? Just who are you to call us hilarious ?  Why I bet you are hilarious yourself !! [ and your mother wears army boots !!! ]

We certainly might be bald - but hilarious?- never !!

• Like 2
msmith524

Greetings! I am tired, worn out,  and trying to get drunk. ( without much success) The pain will not go away.

HOW can any sane person after reading the post on this forum EVER consider coming her to "Live long and Prosper: ? ( HOT D-M the spell check works!)

U can not bank here, buy anything U need, get medical care, educate your kids, own land, vote, have trash pick up, find toilet paper, be the only one sleeping with your wife, have a car that fits U, sit down in a CLEAN, COOL ,bar and have a drink without being drugged, poisoned by bad food, use the CR without providing your own TP.

If U go to the hospital, they will miss diagnose your condition, over charge U, do test till your money is used up, THEN send U to the public hospital, (and they cure U for free!), and no body really wants U here unless U are paying them for the air U breath? (W how! working spell check)

And please DO NOT FORGET to NOT sit under coconut trees!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND NOW!!! we have people living in other countries posting how bad it is there! WHY? Will they not listen to U at home?

Time to get another beer. good night and may God Bless all.

TO THE MOD, THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE FUNNY!

Actually I think the only thing the R.P. has to offer really is cheap P**sy and even that is highly overated.

msmith524

About 5 years ago I was living in central Mexico about 5 years ago. I had come to realize that my marriage was going to end, and realized I wanted a change at some point. I started researching cheaper places to live, and was actually looking at Belize and Costa Rica. Spent about 6 months looking at them, and then I came upon some online article about good places to visit. Never had even looked at the Philippines until then. Started reading some forums here and there, and then I found this one. I could not believe how easy the information was to get, and the great answers to my questions. I wasn't talking to or getting information from real estate companies or people who had a $$ interest.

Anyways, I have been reading this forum almost daily (as a guest for a few years) and I get a somewhat better picture everyday. I realize that getting a simple task may take me all day, I have to be more careful, some things will upset me, and there will be things that I want that just are not available. But look at the benefits: I could never afford to visit and stay in a place like Boracay in the U.S.,  eating every meal out will be an option, a girlfriend is much easier and less expensive to keep, rent is lower, something new. If you're not willing to change; then anything different then what you're used to likely will not work for you. People came and went in Mexico, some loved it, others bitched all day. The ones that adapted loved it and stayed, usually the others left. Sometimes we were without water for over a week and days without power, yet there was always a solution.

I hope to god that I arrive on any plane, at anytime, early next year (hopefully 1-3-2014). I have all ready bought 2 tickets and one thing or another stopped me from going.

If it wasn't for the drug war I'd probably move to Mexico. In Mexico I can stay 6 months without being extorted for high visa fees and travel taxes.

The Philippines is not that cheap as many would like you to believe. Rent is lower but for the SAME unit not that much difference and the selection of furnished units is poor. The food choice is limited and unless you eat at calendarias not that much cheaper. Groceries are HIGHER in the main, except for stuff grown locally. It's all smoothed over by the women here who can be bedded more cheaply but honestly you frequently get what you pay for. Ok so I will answer the stereotypical flame in advance, the one that comes from people with no imagination: 'Just leave then'. I am working on it don't you worry. But the world is running out of undiscovered good places because people go there and screw them up!