Why would anyone want to live in Cebu after reading this forum?

BossHog

I'd never want to live in Cebu.

At least that's what I used to think.

Have learned a heckuva lotta stuff from this site about the city that I usually just pass through for a few days.

There's a lot more to do there than I'd ever realized as a casual visitor. Got a long list of things to do and places to eat on my next visit.

Thanks guys!

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tomaw

• smokey

• SomeRandomGuy

• JamesMusslewhite

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would.   I noticed much more than the girls.   Maybe because I never came to the Philippines to find a girl and did not know about the bikini bars etc before my first trip. I just came for a hol

In my mind, I think more people DO end up visiting the Philippines due to the information offered on this forum. I feel this, because they don't get smoke blown up their asses when they come to this f

The forums members tell the good, the bad and the ugly of living in the Philippines so if anyone who has not been to the Philippines reads the bad stuff and knows that they do not have the temperament

Posted Images

philuk

Don't be silly. You're English. :D

now thats what i like about this forum.

Some feckers just gotta ruin your day.

like i needed reminding......

• Like 3
miles-high

I would say living in the best area of NCR would be much better than living in Cebu in terms of environment (no dust, no exhaust fumes, better air), food (more imported varieties available), restaurants (more ’s, perhaps), better shopping opportunities (Vuitton anyone? ;)), better roads, better infrastructure, all depends on where you live...

I have been “living” in Cebu 4 days/3 nights every month for the last 4 years and objectively comparing these 2 cities, it is my considered opinion that the best area of NCR is better than the best area of Cebu… :D

I have never lived in any other part of the Philippines so I cannot comment but I would say "home is where your heart is..." Having visited most of the Philippines' "airport" cities, it's a beautiful country out there...

JamesMusslewhite

Don't ask me. I'm a Surigao boy myself....

motorboy

About 5 years ago I was living in central Mexico about 5 years ago. I had come to realize that my marriage was going to end, and realized I wanted a change at some point. I started researching cheaper places to live, and was actually looking at Belize and Costa Rica. Spent about 6 months looking at them, and then I came upon some online article about good places to visit. Never had even looked at the Philippines until then. Started reading some forums here and there, and then I found this one. I could not believe how easy the information was to get, and the great answers to my questions. I wasn't talking to or getting information from real estate companies or people who had a $$ interest.

Anyways, I have been reading this forum almost daily (as a guest for a few years) and I get a somewhat better picture everyday. I realize that getting a simple task may take me all day, I have to be more careful, some things will upset me, and there will be things that I want that just are not available. But look at the benefits: I could never afford to visit and stay in a place like Boracay in the U.S.,  eating every meal out will be an option, a girlfriend is much easier and less expensive to keep, rent is lower, something new. If you're not willing to change; then anything different then what you're used to likely will not work for you. People came and went in Mexico, some loved it, others bitched all day. The ones that adapted loved it and stayed, usually the others left. Sometimes we were without water for over a week and days without power, yet there was always a solution.

I hope to god that I arrive on any plane, at anytime, early next year (hopefully 1-3-2014). I have all ready bought 2 tickets and one thing or another stopped me from going.

• Like 2

It's no worst than the newspaper in any country. We read about crime, robbery, murder, death and people's problems. Like the news Sundays are quiet. But here you get one on one information and even more day to day problems. I don't think anyone should leave their own country without change. You really hope little hope of actually changing anything. If you come here thinking you can live life the way you did in your own country it will be hard. Be grateful for the things you can still have. Enjoy the things here you never had before and like and try to adapt. Enjoy the good in everything and discard the bad.

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

tumblr_lxhvdoRmqC1r9lvz3o1_500.jpg178152_v0_600x.jpg304896_328310770591697_1763234801_n.jpgpee.jpgtricycle.jpgits-more-fun-commuting.jpg

• Like 4
lamoe

Haven't gotten there yet. Have to wait till my MeManson sells.

Have 2 options.

Stay in US and live modestly with only female companion choices being wrinkly old ladies who want to eat at 4 and go to bed at 7 ( to sleep).

OR, come there where I'm learning I can live rather more than modestly with someone at least a generation behind me.

I've no illusions about what my initial desirability will be. Not looking for true love, affection and respect will be more than enough.

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 2

Greetings! I am tired, worn out, and trying to get drunk. ( without much success) The pain will not go away.

HOW can any sane person after reading the post on this forum EVER consider coming her to "Live long and Prosper: ? ( HOT D-M the spell check works!)

U can not bank here, buy anything U need, get medical care, educate your kids, own land, vote, have trash pick up, find toilet paper, be the only one sleeping with your wife, have a car that fits U, sit down in a CLEAN, COOL ,bar and have a drink without being drugged, poisoned by bad food, use the CR without providing your own TP.

If U go to the hospital, they will miss diagnose your condition, over charge U, do test till your money is used up, THEN send U to the public hospital, (and they cure U for free!), and no body really wants U here unless U are paying them for the air U breath? (W how! working spell check)

And please DO NOT FORGET to NOT sit under coconut trees!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND NOW!!! we have people living in other countries posting how bad it is there! WHY? Will they not listen to U at home?

Time to get another beer. good night and may God Bless all.

TO THE MOD, THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE FUNNY!

............. And you're still there, right?

We all know this is the nature of the Internet. Choose any topic and there's a forum. Go to that forum and some posters wear rose colored glasses, others wear shit colored glasses. If you hang out at the forum long enough you will figure out who's views of life match yours and you will tend to latch on to their postings and solicit their opinions.

OTOH I have sent several friends who were interested in PI here and they came back saying what the OP said "Why should I go there when the expats online seem to hate it?" In the case of one of my best friends he ultimately learned to ignore both the rose colored and shit colored posters and got enough info to travel to PI multiple times, find a girl, etc., etc.

I still visit here daily but I do take many postings with a grain of salt. Ultimately, it's my responsibility to find out for myself and make my own way in PI.

• Like 1
tobster

Its kind of ironic when an American rants about this place...........

I mean you guys had it for about 50 years and then 50 years later you come back to live here and are surprised it's not like home anymore.....

Maybe it's karma doing what karma does best.....

• Like 4

We all know this is the nature of the Internet. Choose any topic and there's a forum. Go to that forum and some posters wear rose colored glasses, others wear shit colored glasses. If you hang out at the forum long enough you will figure out who's views of life match yours and you will tend to latch on to their postings and solicit their opinions.

OTOH I have sent several friends who were interested in PI here and they came back saying what the OP said "Why should I go there when the expats online seem to hate it?" In the case of one of my best friends he ultimately learned to ignore both the rose colored and shit colored posters and got enough info to travel to PI multiple times, find a girl, etc., etc.

I still visit here daily but I do take many postings with a grain of salt. Ultimately, it's my responsibility to find out for myself and make my own way in PI.

........... Thanks for the most intelligently written post I've read so far. Usually it's the ones with the s*** colored glasses that put down the ones that supposedly have rose colored glasses. I could probably think of a lot of bad things to say about living in Los Angeles California because I live here. Even if I had Donald Trump's money I wouldn't want to live in New York City but it's his preferred place to live. I guess the only members that I'm against are the ones that decide their views and experiences have got to be the same for everybody else. However that does not mean negative experiences don't have merit. Knowing what others have gone through in specific situations can help us to avoid running into the same problems ourselves. However those that seem to have problems with just about everybody they meet in Cebu I would take with a grain of salt.
lamoe

Nobody lives in a country or even a city. We live in a portion, segment, area.

I've lived in different areas of Chicago as I aged.

Lower middle class as a teen, middle after service, upper middle just before moving to suburbs.

You'd get a different perspective if I wrote about each one as being the definitive living in Chicago experience.

The your pick pick, shot once - stabbed twice, safe neighborhood - people mowed your lawn when you're on vacation - not really knowing neighbors , not unfriendly, just not friendly.

Chicago or Cebu? Sound familiar?

hilyfe

Women double triple your money?

Easy to get a maid