Why would anyone want to live in Cebu after reading this forum?

To Headshot and Co,

How often is it that the waves in the Philippines comes from the west and not like last from the east?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tomaw

• smokey

• SomeRandomGuy

• msmith524

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would.   I noticed much more than the girls.   Maybe because I never came to the Philippines to find a girl and did not know about the bikini bars etc before my first trip. I just came for a hol

In my mind, I think more people DO end up visiting the Philippines due to the information offered on this forum. I feel this, because they don't get smoke blown up their asses when they come to this f

The forums members tell the good, the bad and the ugly of living in the Philippines so if anyone who has not been to the Philippines reads the bad stuff and knows that they do not have the temperament

Posted Images

smokey

....... Just about everything I've read suggests that Cebu is much safer and cleaner than Manila. I hear of flooding almost every year in Manila. Also traffic, polution,poverty, disease, terrorism and crime seem much worse in Manila than Cebu. Most of my information has come from this forum.

If you dont want any of those problems just move to mayberry RFD .... If one person a year is killed by crime in a city and that one person happens to be you well its devastating to everyone else it means almost crime free 

miles-high

Just about everything I've read suggests that Cebu is much safer and cleaner than Manila.

Hmmm, you read it wrong, my friend... Manila is a big city, all depends on where you like to live, just like in LA, if you like to live in Watts or Palos Verdes...

Live 6 months in the Philippines and 6 months elsewhere, like some of the members here, then the risk will be lower, statistically speaking, that is... :D

Edited by miles-high
  • Like 1

To Headshot and Co,

How often is it that the waves in the Philippines comes from the west and not like last from the east?

We're not referring to the prevailing weather patterns; a tsunami could come from anywhere and due to the circular nature of a typhoon, it could be so positioned to create a storm surge coming from the south-west.  Actually it would probably need to form over the South China Sea rather than traverse the country from the east.

I think Headshot and I are veering off topic except for the comments about Manila's foreshore.  It would not be a healthy place to be in either event, whether or not the local geography amplifies or moderates the phenomenon.  The total land reclamation area is flat and about 5 feet above high tide level.  The sea wall is about an extra 4 feet above this, say less than 10 feet in total.  The reports from Tacloban mention 10 to 20 foot waves.   Similar in Manila would swamp the whole reclamation.

Will it happen?  Statistically, yes it will.  When?  Your guess is a good as mine.  Given the weather patterns which I discounted at the beginning of this post and the fault lines, my bet is that a tsunami is more likely than a storm surge.

Edited by GoHuk

We're not referring to the prevailing weather patterns; a tsunami could come from anywhere and due to the circular nature of a typhoon, it could be so positioned to create a storm surge coming from the south-west.  Actually it would probably need to form over the South China Sea rather than traverse the country from the east.

I think Headshot and I are veering off topic except for the comments about Manila's foreshore.  It would not be a healthy place to be in either event, whether or not the local geography amplifies or moderates the phenomenon.  The total land reclamation area is flat and about 5 feet above high tide level.  The sea wall is about an extra 4 feet above this, say less than 10 feet in total.  The reports form Tacloban mention 10 to 20 foot waves.   Similar in Manila would swamp the whole reclamation.

Will it happen?  Statistically, yes it will.  When?  Your guess is a good as mine.  Given the weather patterns which I discounted at the beginning of this post and the fault lines, my bet is that a tsunami is more likely than a storm surge.

Thank you.

What makes no sense at all, is a lot of the guys that complain constantly about living in Cebu, have lived there for years. If they really don't like the place why the hell are they still there!?

I don't think this is too unusual. A guy lives in a place for years, comes to dislike it but stays for a variety of reasons: job, business, home, wife, lifestyle for kids, etc. I have lived in my current city for 35 years. It's a nice place for many reasons. I have no major complaints. Yet I can't wait to leave. I want a different life and look forward to new challenges.

What I do find unusual is the guys who hate the Philippines but love to post on a forum about it, even after they have already left the place. Based on that I have to assume that there is something about PI that is compelling to people, even those who have come to dislike it.

The arguments about cost of living seem foolish to me. Yes, you can live in a first world country and find a cheap house somewhere, particularly in a post 2008 market. And yes, you can be a dumbass and pay a fortune for someplace in Cebu City. But overall life can be lived more modestly in PI. This isn't unique to PI. Expats and retirees are moving abroad in record numbers and having their dollar stretch is a main reason. OTOH, if the only reason a guy is moving to PI is for the money, he will no doubt come to hate it.

Finances and girls are important, but for me the place I live needs to have more.

thebob

A lot of people who decide to leave have got to the stage in life where they are looking for security. A lot of people who move to Cebu have either visited before, and so understand what they are looking for, or are looking for something different.

Cebu is changing very quickly, even in the province. Some of the reasons that brought people here in the first place aren't the same anymore. Some people have made families and grown businesses, others are finding it more difficult to live on a fixed income that kept them comfortable just a few years ago.

Globally there is a "leveling" going on. The first world countries are not doing as well as they once did, the rest of the world is rising to meet them.

Of all the things that I enjoy here, the people are one of the greatest draws. Until they change, I don't think my attitude towards the country will change.

Edited by thebob
  • Like 2

Hmmm, you read it wrong, my friend... Manila is a big city, all depends on where you like to live, just like in LA, if you like to live in Watts or Palos Verdes...

Live 6 months in the Philippines and 6 months elsewhere, like some of the members here, then the risk will be lower, statistically speaking, that is... :D

That's exactly what I plan on doing, thanks.