Why would anyone want to live in Cebu after reading this forum?

Manila definitely has its own risks. In addition to being a storm and flooding magnet, it has major fault lines and low-lying areas susceptible to tsunamis and storm surges, but geologists also believe it is surrounded by five super volcanoes. The one that everyone thinks of is under Lake Taal, but there is also one under Manila Bay and three under the Laguna area. Subic Bay area was heavily impacted by the Mount Pinatubo eruption as was the Angeles City area. No place in the Philippines is totally without risk from natural disasters.

Even with that, though, there is no place in the world I would rather live right now. The Philippines suits me (of course, I live on Cebu, where the risks are much less than those in the Manila area).

When was the last time Manila Bay was hit by a tsunami? a reference to a source of information please.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tomaw

• smokey

• SomeRandomGuy

• JamesMusslewhite

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would.   I noticed much more than the girls.   Maybe because I never came to the Philippines to find a girl and did not know about the bikini bars etc before my first trip. I just came for a hol

In my mind, I think more people DO end up visiting the Philippines due to the information offered on this forum. I feel this, because they don't get smoke blown up their asses when they come to this f

The forums members tell the good, the bad and the ugly of living in the Philippines so if anyone who has not been to the Philippines reads the bad stuff and knows that they do not have the temperament

Posted Images

Jim Sibbick

When was the last time Manila Bay was hit by a tsunami? a reference to a source of information please.

No idea but I have a tsunami map of the Philippines which shows it as high possibility

post-12-0-55318400-1384684993_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The energy of a tsunami would be partly reduced by the constriction of Corregidor.  By how much is an unknown factor.  A storm surge on the other hand is a different phenomenon and while Corregidor may slow its arrival it would do little or nothing to reduce the ultimate height of the seas.  Judging by the reports from Tacloban the height of the sea wall around the Mall of Asia and the reclaimed land is not sufficient. 

Headshot

Kim, there is a subduction trench just west of Manila. Just because it hasn't released in historical times does NOT mean it won't sometime in the future. I said there are a lot of low-lying areas that are susceptible to tsunamis or storm surges...NOT there have been tsunamis or storm surges in the historical past. Most faults in the Philippines haven't even been mapped...let alone studied carefully. However, the subduction trench has been mapped, and will sooner or later release. A release there would be very similar to the release that occurred off Sumatra several years ago that killed 250,000 people around the Indian Ocean.

Edited by Headshot

About 5 years ago I was living in central Mexico about 5 years ago. I had come to realize that my marriage was going to end, and realized I wanted a change at some point. I started researching cheaper places to live, and was actually looking at Belize and Costa Rica. Spent about 6 months looking at them, and then I came upon some online article about good places to visit. Never had even looked at the Philippines until then. Started reading some forums here and there, and then I found this one. I could not believe how easy the information was to get, and the great answers to my questions. I wasn't talking to or getting information from real estate companies or people who had a $$ interest.

Anyways, I have been reading this forum almost daily (as a guest for a few years) and I get a somewhat better picture everyday. I realize that getting a simple task may take me all day, I have to be more careful, some things will upset me, and there will be things that I want that just are not available. But look at the benefits: I could never afford to visit and stay in a place like Boracay in the U.S.,  eating every meal out will be an option, a girlfriend is much easier and less expensive to keep, rent is lower, something new. If you're not willing to change; then anything different then what you're used to likely will not work for you. People came and went in Mexico, some loved it, others bitched all day. The ones that adapted loved it and stayed, usually the others left. Sometimes we were without water for over a week and days without power, yet there was always a solution.

I hope to god that I arrive on any plane, at anytime, early next year (hopefully 1-3-2014). I have all ready bought 2 tickets and one thing or another stopped me from going.

It's not easy to attain escape velocity.

I can't understand the Americans who bitch incessantly about their country, its president, and society and it never occurs to them to simply leave.

Many of us simple guy simply did.

hang around even longer than enough you will see the rose colour turn to shit colour (and then hopefully back to neutral). The lenses one wears unawares in life is a cyclic phenonemon for the blessed. 

The rosies remind me of my first visits and that's good to get in touch with. All rosies that actually get amongst it and live in the RP do turn toward the brown rather quickly and either leave, piss and moan (not able to afford to leave) and the rest adapt. Truth is I have had my share of brown coloured posts and i have seen thousands of other brown posts that are factually correct...these post are just as valuable for the education available.

Too rosie and you miss the lesson and too brown you miss out on a life and may spoil others peace in the process - but the middle ground is fertile.

I think you choose the color of you glasses.

By your decisions.  By the diligence you do or don't do

And how you choose to react to the world not meeting you'r expectations.

Everything changes so fast; your response is all you can hope to control.

Typhoons and earth quakes ripped the glasses of my face.  New glasses are cheap.

• Like 2
ellenbrook2001

well well what was your life before? what are you looking for ,? i did have all mercedes cars.mansion house ect but my love live was shit? useless, boring then has you know overseas if you do not have a large bank account no women want you unless a very fat and ugly one,

now you move here what do you want a palace,a expensive car to show off  or what /

i look life at this way what the most important love life and happiness or material thing?

i did sold all then move here knowing the good and the bad i prefer to have a young women in my bed to make me happy and respect me if not i got another one or another one million of them here too make you happy.

has the bad site of hospital,toilette paper,ect ect you have to found a way around it that PHILIPPINES then live the best of it anywhere we human been never contented look at your self in the mirror you are healthy,you have money to buy food,you have a very good roof under your head you can go to private hospital you can eat at the 5 star hotel ect  so i am happy very contented even a always complaining about INTERNET.PLTD .brown out,sky channel unfortunately nothing we can do that the way PHILIPPINE do business even in 100 years will be the same . been here 5 years i become more relax more down too heart the very good think since stopped working and sack my ex wife i almost do not need anymore medication.

• Like 2

No idea but I have a tsunami map of the Philippines which shows it as high possibility

The energy of a tsunami would be partly reduced by the constriction of Corregidor.  By how much is an unknown factor.  A storm surge on the other hand is a different phenomenon and while Corregidor may slow its arrival it would do little or nothing to reduce the ultimate height of the seas.  Judging by the reports from Tacloban the height of the sea wall around the Mall of Asia and the reclaimed land is not sufficient. 

That is exactly what I was thinking. That the tsunami would fade away before reaching the Boulevard. As you say a surge could be another story.

Kim, there is a subduction trench just west of Manila. Just because it hasn't released in historical times does NOT mean it won't sometime in the future. I said there are a lot of low-lying areas that are susceptible to tsunamis or storm surges...NOT there have been tsunamis or storm surges in the historical past. Most faults in the Philippines haven't even been mapped...let alone studied carefully. However, the subduction trench has been mapped, and will sooner or later release. A release there would be very similar to the release that occurred off Sumatra several years ago that killed 250,000 people around the Indian Ocean.

Well, anyway, this is not an argument for NOT living in Manila.

Headshot

In reality, any tsunami hitting the Manila area would be amplified as it entered Manila Bay. Compared to the mouth of Manila Bay, Corregidor Island is quite small, and would present no obstacle to tsunami waves. Indeed, due to a phenomenon known as island wrapping (where the waves wrap around the sides of an island and double on the opposite side) waves would be amplified as they pass the island. In addition, there would be wave reflection from all sides of Manila Bay, which would amplify wave heights even more. The coastal areas of the Manila Metro area would NOT be good places to be during a tsunami. Of course, panic and horrendous traffic congestion in the Manila Metro area would likely make it impossible to flee the vulnerable areas before the waves struck.

Edited by Headshot

In reality, any tsunami hitting the Manila area would be amplified as it entered Manila Bay. Compared to the mouth of Manila Bay, Corregidor Island is quite small, and would present no obstacle to tsunami waves. Indeed, due to a phenomenon known as island wrapping (where the waves wrap around opposite sides of an island and double on the opposite side). In addition, there would be wave reflection from all sides of Manila Bay, which would amplify wave heights even more. The coastal areas of the Manila Metro area would NOT be good places to be during a tsunami. Of course, panic and horrendous traffic congestion in the Manila Metro area would likely make it impossible to flee the vulnerable areas before the waves struck.

OK, I'm no expert and had overlooked the island wrapping effect.  (That would be bad for Corregidor but not necessarily Manila.)  I was really thinking of the constriction formed by the Bataan peninsular and loosely referred to this as Corregidor.  A tsunami is a wave, albeit a bloody great big one, and does not continually receive further energy as it travels.  (Or does it? You tell me.)  Any obstacle will surely dissipate its energy.

Reflections?  Yes they will occur and could cause freak waves if the effect of the two component waves is additive.

Amplified?  Yes there will be a 'squeezing' effect as a wave goes through the gap with a heightening of the wave but will this not reduce again once through?  I would expect the wave to bow once through due to the drag effect of the Cavite coastline.

A storm surge however is continually receiving an energy input from the storm that is creating it.  So I believe waters will pour through the Corregidor gap and continue to do so for as long as the storm lasts.

Out of interest I looked at the map and the gap is much wider than I thought.

post-14483-0-12435200-1384690881_thumb.jpg

So the effects I predict will not be pronounced.  However I could not agree with you more that anywhere along Roxas Boulevard or the reclaimed land is the place NOT to be in either event.

Headshot

OK, I'm no expert and had overlooked the island wrapping effect.  (That would be bad for Corregidor but not necessarily Manila.)  I was really thinking of the constriction formed by the Bataan peninsular and loosely referred to this as Corregidor.  A tsunami is a wave, albeit a bloody great big one, and does not continually receive further energy as it travels.  (Or does it? You tell me.)  Any obstacle will surely dissipate its energy.

Reflections?  Yes they will occur and could cause freak waves if the effect of the two component waves is additive.

Amplified?  Yes there will be a 'squeezing' effect as a wave goes through the gap with a heightening of the wave but will this not reduce again once through?  I would expect the wave to bow once through due to the drag effect of the Cavite coastline.

A storm surge however is continually receiving an energy input from the storm that is creating it.  So I believe waters will pour through the Corregidor gap and continue to do so for as long as the storm lasts.

Out of interest I looked at the map and the gap is much wider than I thought.

attachicon.gifManila.jpg

So the effects I predict will not be pronounced.  However I could not agree with you more that anywhere along Roxas Boulevard or the reclaimed land is the place NOT to be in either event.

If you want to understand the effects of shock waves entering a confined area such as Manila Bay, think about the Mexico City earthquake. A relatively small earthquake caused massive damage in an area that was ringed by mountains due to wave reflection and wave wrapping. Waves were bouncing in all directions causing wave doubling and even quadrupling in places. Tsunami waves act just like earthquake shock waves, although they are travelling more slowly. Tsunami waves can each be over 100 miles from front to back and they come in sets of multiple waves (can be 7 or more waves). The power behind these waves is immense. Don't confuse their power with that of wind-generated waves. Wind-generated waves can be easily stopped, but tsunami waves just keep on coming. Manila Bay is a relatively deep harbor, and the waves will not lose much power traversing it. When waves start hitting each other, then all bets are off. Look at the map of Manila Bay again and imagine the waves coming from the southwest rather from due west.

Edited by Headshot
InternetTough

There was an utterly huge tsunami in Alaska from the Alaskan quake. Due to the funneling effect in a deep fjord-like area, I think it reached 200 meters! Strangely enough, there were several survivors on boats that rode it all the way up and over.

I am writing from memory. I will now Google it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1958_Lituya_Bay_megatsunami

I think I was thinking of this one. Apparently, if you dump 30 million cubic meters of rock into a smallish bay, you can make a very large wave---516 meters in height. It was not exactly what was talked about, but some of the same principles might apply (big disturbance to water, small focal area).

Also, it wasn't the infamous Alaskan quake, but another one, in 1958.

Edited by InternetTough

Kim, there is a subduction trench just west of Manila. Just because it hasn't released in historical times does NOT mean it won't sometime in the future. I said there are a lot of low-lying areas that are susceptible to tsunamis or storm surges...NOT there have been tsunamis or storm surges in the historical past. Most faults in the Philippines haven't even been mapped...let alone studied carefully. However, the subduction trench has been mapped, and will sooner or later release. A release there would be very similar to the release that occurred off Sumatra several years ago that killed 250,000 people around the Indian Ocean.

....... Just about everything I've read suggests that Cebu is much safer and cleaner than Manila. I hear of flooding almost every year in Manila. Also traffic, polution,poverty, disease, terrorism and crime seem much worse in Manila than Cebu. Most of my information has come from this forum.

The place I'm considering moving to the most is Crown Heights in Compostela. It's in the highlands over looking the ocean and about an hour drive to Cebu City. Does anyone know much about this area?

well, all we need to know is that you are posting in the wrong thread.... however, you question is interesting..... ;)