getting started with a laptop

No longer true... 4G LTE in NCR, part of Cebu, Davao, part of Iloilo and other places...

No you still only "need" a 3G phone, however 4G is available.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• BossHog

• thebob

• miles-high

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Screw that!   The Z is worth ten points!   fez, bozo, zax, zeks, phiz, putz, zerk, zill.   And how you gonna play Q without that U? Oh, yeah:   qaid, qat, tranq, qoph, faqir, qwerty, etc.

If the wifi is working there then it'll work here.   Test it out at a coffee shop or somewhere with a Free Wifi sign.   You can turn the wifi off/on. Make sure it's on. How to do this varies with

I'm guessing that whippy doesn't know how to work a smart phone, and to throw him into tablet-World might blow a gasket in his head!     My laptop has been all over the place with me, but it is a l

Posted Images

Davaoeno

Whippy - lots of times I go to hotels, they give me the password, i go to my laptop and try to connect to the hotels wifi - and cant find the damn thing on the laptop, or even a place to punch in the password.  Mostly then I open Google and there it is - just waiting for me to give it the password. 

ThomsonJr

Does it have Wifi? You can check it by going to the right side on the bottom of the screen, next to the time should be an icon which resembles the icon seen on mobile phones which represents the network coverage, if it has Wifi built-in of course. If it doesn't have Wifi built-in then it's useless to carry around with you to the other side of the world.

I'd suggest you buy one of those very small 11 inch Notebooks which cost around 200$-250$ if you travel alot or maybe even forget the idea of a laptop and buy a Smartphone which supports 3G and has a large screen so you can go online with your phone (my phone has a 5 inch screen, it's big, I can surf and read any website with it). Then when you really need to use a computer you just go to an internet shop. Travelling light is much better than travelling heavy, and a big brick-like laptop really is a pain in the ass.

Edited by ThomsonJr
udonthani

yes the laptop does have that green indicator that resembles a mobile phone charge signal. So I guess it is Wifi enabled.

I've been using it. It is not bad actually except you seem to have to have it plugged in to use it. The sound on it is better than my PC.

On another note, nobody likes the oldies who spread out a mini work station and a 17" laptop. Girls will think you're the dinosaur. I get these customers who plug in for hours, monopolize a table for six with their work station, hog the wifi bandwidth, and order a 15 peso coke. Then pester me with silly computer questions all afternoon.

I have never been to your place!

• Like 1

Here's what I use when  traveling. Acer 10" ($175)  with Bluetooth keyboard from an IPad case ($20 on sale), small USB mouse ($10), stand $5 at $5 and Below, padded sleeve cover same place. Total = $225 with tax.

post-15177-0-38550800-1382315080_thumb.jpg 

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 2
thebob

If the battery is knackered just take it off to save weight.

I tote a 6 year old Macbook and find it very useful because I can take all of my music with me. Old laptops are still vet useful. And I'm sure that when you leave you won't have a problem donating it to a worthwhile cause.

You will need an adapter for the UK plug but apart from that you will be good to go.

udonthani

two letters U and Z on the keyboard are fecked. How easy is that to fix?

Davaoeno

If the battery is knackered just take it off to save weight.

I tote a 6 year old Macbook and find it very useful because I can take all of my music with me. Old laptops are still vet useful. And I'm sure that when you leave you won't have a problem donating it to a worthwhile cause.

You will need an adapter for the UK plug but apart from that you will be good to go.

I have a 6 year old XPS Dell with a fried battery.  I have used it now for 2 years that way- but- it wont work if i remove the battery for some reason 

Irenicus

I have a 6 year old XPS Dell with a fried battery.  I have used it now for 2 years that way- but- it wont work if i remove the battery for some reason 

It's holding onto hope.

I have an old XPS Studio M1330.  It's small and very light - sort of like a netbook/ultrabook before they became popular.  It's no speed demon, but it gets stuff done and I won't cry if it ever gets ganked.

Udon, you don't really need Z and U all that much. At least it's not A and E or sumthin.

BossHog

you don't really need Z

Screw that!

The Z is worth ten points!

fez, bozo, zax, zeks, phiz, putz, zerk, zill.

And how you gonna play Q without that U? Oh, yeah:

qaid, qat, tranq, qoph, faqir, qwerty, etc.

• Like 4

Before I travel, I look at what I may need to do while on the road - If I am not going to be doing complex computing, why bring more than my iPhone or an iPad - any smart phone or tablet will do.

thebob

Most laptops that have been used statically for a while will have dead batteries. Modern lipo's don't have memory problems. You can considerably lengthen the life of your batteries by never charging them over 80% and never discharging them under 20%.

I'm a laptop road warrior, it goes with me everywhere when I'm working. I usually get 4 years out of a battery.

One of the advantages of a Mac is that there are so few models. This means that parts are really easy to source. How many kinds of Vaio are there? Well you  get what I mean.

The old white/black Macbooks are almost indestructible, if it does fail, just pull out the HD, slap it in another one and you are good to go. I use a 750 gig and can change it in about 2 mins.

Walk up to another Mac, connect your laptop to it, and boot off your laptop HD. You are in charge of the security.

If you want to just run it in Windows, no problem. Install the provided windows drivers and install as you would on any other machine. Linux... the same. You don't need MacOS in it at all.

Macs get a lot of bad rap, but the hardware is exceptional.

I don't like the new ultra light laptops, no connectivity, no storage, only really good if you only need to use a web browser. 

• 1 month later...
udonthani

well here is what happened.

after arriving in Cebu took it to the Urban Cellar where Lars got it going and this is where I found out that yes, it does work in the Philippines.

stayed at an American pal's house in Talamban that night, and he being a bit accomplished with computers said he would tidy it up for me and fix stuff like some keys on the keyboard not working. In the meantime, I disappeared to Compostela to conduct a series of interviews around there.

then the typhoon intervened and I decided I had better disappear over the mountain before it hit. On arrival in Balamban I discovered that Sailor's now has full WIFI, and that having the laptop, would have been useful. But, in between interviews, texting with my American friend established that it would cost 800 peso to send it LBC. Too much, when net cafes are only 10 pesos an hour. Then I went to Moalboal where the place I stayed at also has WIFI. By now I was wishing I had never given it to my American friend, and cursing the typhoon. I tried to talk him into coming to Moalboal and he would have done, had not his wife been 8 months pregnant. He couldn't travel.

then I found myself interviewing in Argao and I realised that, being so close, I could stage a guerilla raid into Cebu city, reclaim the laptop, and also do a rapid series of interviews at the same time (Cebu city is the best place in the Philippines, to do rapid-fire interviews). So it was Argao, interview in Talisay, Talamban where the computer was - and where I interviewed somebody in my friends house - and then to Lapu Lapu where I conducted three interviews in the same hotel room in 18 hours.

then I packed everything up and headed towards Moalboal via Toledo, where I conducted an interview but where the place had no WIFI.

next day I was in Moalboal where I have been ever since and where the computer works perfectly. So it is Radio 5 Live and Radio 4, youtube, and everything. As well as more interviews, of course.