getting started with a laptop

udonthani

I use a PC at home usually and have no laptop. But I was toying with the idea of getting one, to bring to the Philippines.

but I decided against, just on the grounds that I can manage perfectly well just using cyber cafes in the Philippines and also because I move around a lot that it might be a bit of an enumbrance and also I might lose it.

however my sister recently gave me one. She and her husband seem to have about 10 laptops and tablets between them. It's old and a bit of a brick but seeing as it was free, then I might as well bring it and donate it to a worthy cause when I leave.

it works kind of OK here. Well, I'm using it now.

but what exactly do I have to do to get it up and running?

so I arrive in Manila. Check into a hotel that has WIFI downstairs. What do I do to get started?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• thebob

• BossHog

• miles-high

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Screw that!   The Z is worth ten points!   fez, bozo, zax, zeks, phiz, putz, zerk, zill.   And how you gonna play Q without that U? Oh, yeah:   qaid, qat, tranq, qoph, faqir, qwerty, etc.

If the wifi is working there then it'll work here.   Test it out at a coffee shop or somewhere with a Free Wifi sign.   You can turn the wifi off/on. Make sure it's on. How to do this varies with

I'm guessing that whippy doesn't know how to work a smart phone, and to throw him into tablet-World might blow a gasket in his head!     My laptop has been all over the place with me, but it is a l

Posted Images

BossHog

If the wifi is working there then it'll work here.

Test it out at a coffee shop or somewhere with a Free Wifi sign.

You can turn the wifi off/on. Make sure it's on. How to do this varies with the model of laptop. Turn it off to save battery life when you're not plugged in.

You may need to ask at the front desk for a password. Click on the network icon in the taskbar and look for a name that matches your hotel and click to connect. Enter the password if needed and you're good to go.

You'll then want to buy a Smart Bro USB stick for when there's no free signal available to you. About 1000 pesos. I find Smart has the best coverage nationwide but you can buy a similar Globe Tattoo stick if you'll be camped in an area with a strong Globe signal. Wouldn't hurt to have both as you move around a bit.

Unlimited surfing on Smart for one day 50 pesos. two days 85 and five days 200 pesos.

You'll probably already be traveling with an adapter that will allow you to plug UK things into the outlets/power points here. If not, buy a cheap one.

Take a look at the power brick and make sure it says Input: 100-240V. Should be unless it's a real antique.

Pretty simple, really.

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 2
udonthani

I've used girls's laptops before and bought SMARTBRO load for them. How does that work? I just buy load for my SMART phone?

Terrance

Why not ask the girls?  You seem to have no trouble with them!

• Like 1
udonthani

most of them don't have laptops do they so they might not know. Only about 10%.Though it is surprising how many are au fait with gadgets even though they don't themselves have one.

BossHog

The Smart Bro sticks take a SIM card that is interchangeable with most cell phones. You can Pasaload credit to the SIM number then register for the UNLI plans.

Have a look here: http://www1.smart.com.ph/bro/text-and-surf-packages/unlisurf

I only load the Smart Bro stick with enough load for the chosen UNLI plan or otherwise it will eat up your load at a more expensive rate when the plan expires. 5 pesos for 15 minutes. You'll need to maintain a 1 peso balance though to use the UNLI plan. So, for example, if you opt for the UNLI 50 plan make sure you have a balance of at least 51 pesos but ideally, not much more.

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 1
Majorsco

Unless you want for the load to tick off at standard rate (5 pesos for15 min) you would want to use one of their UNLI packages (50 for day, 300 for week and 1200 for 30 days), I personally do the 1200 fixed rate which is the best they offer. There are several other plans if you only do Facebook and twitter etc.

miles-high

Depending what you buy, you would need a USB port (stick type) or a wireless com (802.11 a/b/g/n) for a pocket WiFi LTE/4G... so, make sure you have one of them on your "older" laptop... I guess you can do WiFi tethering if your phone has UNLI data...

Contango

You like it cheap so its simply a matter of finding free wi-fi, easy enough to do in the city's...thinking that perhaps a large, cheap smart phone is an option worth considering, they are basically a small computer with touch screen input, they are a lot more portable than a Lappie and reasonably easy to use and cheap to buy, you only need a 3G model in the Philippines.

The only reason i bought a smart phone was to have easy (non cafe) and secure access to my Gmail account while travelling, as all the hotels have free wi-fi of some sort...that way when Cebu pacific decides to screw me i know about it straight away and not when i get to the check-in at the airport 7 hours before my re scheduled flight departs. :)

Edited by Contango
  • Like 1
miles-high

you only need a 3G model in the Philippines

No longer true... 4G LTE in NCR, part of Cebu, Davao, part of Iloilo and other places...

Edited by miles-high
BossHog

True what Contango said about portability. Laptops for travel use have pretty much gone the way of the dinosaur. If you're used to traveling light you'll almost certainly regret the added weight. I'd buy a cheap Chinese tablet. No big deal if it's lost and you won't notice the weight. A tablet is also handy to have along with you on day trips when you wouldn't be lugging around the laptop.

On another note, nobody likes the oldies who spread out a mini work station and a 17" laptop. Girls will think you're the dinosaur.

I get these customers who plug in for hours, monopolize a table for six with their work station, hog the wifi bandwidth, and order a 15 peso coke. Then pester me with silly computer questions all afternoon.

Donate the antique to the first good cause and upgrade and downsize.

• Like 1
Skywalker

I'm guessing that whippy doesn't know how to work a smart phone, and to throw him into tablet-World might blow a gasket in his head!   :yahoo:

My laptop has been all over the place with me, but it is a lightweight Sony Vaio - not an ancient heavy brick.  And I need its functions and connectivity to stay in touch with my business in London.  So for me, a tablet (although I use an iPad daily) isn't a good enough solution.

The ideal portable computer for this case, in my view, would be a netbook.  Lightweight, small, very portable and good battery life.  Will allow all the functions that a normal lightweight user would need, with a familiar windows interface.

Anyone got a better idea?

Edited by Skywalker
  • Like 2
BossHog

The ideal portable computer for this case, in my view, would be a netbook. Lightweight, small, very portable and good battery life. Will allow all the functions that a normal lightweight user would need, with a familiar windows interface. Anyone got a better idea?

Agreed. That's what I use here. Asus touch screen netbook. 20,000 pesos or so.

But he's getting the antique for free so good idea on bringing it along and seeing how it suits him here before buying something more suitable.

miles-high

The ideal portable computer for this case, in my view, would be a netbook. Lightweight, small, very portable and good battery life. Will allow all the functions that a normal lightweight user would need, with a familiar windows interface.

Yes! Fujitsu Convertible Tablet T902... i7 3.75GHz, 16GB RAM, 13.3" Widescreen LED backlight, 1600 x 900, HDMI, USB2.0 and 3.0, Bluray Writer, dual batteris, backlight keyboard... Only 4.2lbs. and US$3,600... :D

Only 4.2lbs. and US$3,600...

About same $$$`s to a 10% deposit for a studio condo in Cebu city.

• Like 2