Sign in to follow this  
BossHog

Market Price of Vegetables

BossHog
just out of interest how much are spuds (potatoes) on the street at the moment (not the mall).

2013-10-02 CARBON PUBLIC MARKET, CEBU CITY

POTATO, MEDIUM (XL SIZE)

56.00 / Kg

http://afmis.da.gov.ph/index.php/price-bulletin.html

This site is updated daily from markets around the country.

Different markets and commodities daily and far from comprehensive but a good resource.

Hope it's helpful Whippy et al.

I paid 80 (or was it 90?) a kilo for spuds this morning from a trike peddlar who passes by. Obviously cheaper from a farmer's market on the mainland.

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 3

SomeRandomGuy

nice post and nice find..... really nice... well done

Jawny

For those of you who live where the "market price" is monitored, I thought you would enjoy a comparison to shopping in the province, at least leyte.

Using potatoes as an example, if you go to the public market in the town nearest us, there are dozens of merchants selling potatoes. Each stall has a similar array of vegetables, some locally (leyte) grown. Most of the vegetables are similar in price. The difference is whether the merchant is a relative, is friendly etc. As the shopper wanders through the market, the potatoes all look pretty much the same, but when you get home, that's when the discovery is made of the damaged ones in the bottom of the bag....or not.

What is amusing however is to park alongside the back of the market. That is where the single truck selling potatoes to the stall owners parks his truck. He'll stay for a few hours and then move along to the next town on his route.

We have found only ONE merchant who makes a weekly trip to Cebu and loads up on fruits and vegetables that she chooses. She'll have Granny Smith apples, RED tomatoes, lettuce that is close to crisp and so forth. Of course, her prices are higher than the others. You get what you pay for.

udonthani

As the shopper wanders through the market, the potatoes all look pretty much the same, but when you get home, that's when the discovery is made of the damaged ones in the bottom of the bag....or not.

I don't understand that as there is no situation I can imagine myself being in (i.e. I am not buying in any kind of bulk for a restaurant or anything) where I would not examine each item myself before buying it. I would not ask for a kilo and have the vendor put the stuff in the bag. I'd grab a bag and select the stuff myself.